• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell us your cop stories. Times they let you go, times they didn't, funny stops.

53753F51-013D-4D66-8CB5-56D7C5A8A705.jpg

We were coming back from three week trip into Canada without any issues and on last leg from Arkansas to Texas. We had awoken from sleep camping at Mt Nebo seeing storm coming. Hastily broke camp and headed southeast. H was leading as we entered a mid sized town and I suggested she ease up on a Sunday morning. She didn’t.
Well, about at edge of town when a burgundy Dodge Charger came roaring up behind us. H stopped and I pulled in ahead of her. I watched in mirror and heard story at next gas stop. He said he just came out of church to see us briskly pass and asked her why the hurry?
H pointed behind her to the dark blue cold front line, he looked but pointed to the blue skies in his town… he reminded her the TX state line and it’s higher limits we’re still about sixty miles away and be careful! He came up to me to just tell me aI might want to lead! :laugh
She has a selfie with him! I was waiting for the family double ticket.

I find two things irritating in this realm of discussion. The first is when people who are regular and knowing offenders when it comes to speeding bitch when they are caught and denigrate the LEO who caught them. I hear this often and I cannot help but feel disgust. If you can't accept the fine then do not speed, and if you do speed and get caught, then shut-up about it. The second thing that chaps my arse is people who have a badge, or some other influence in law enforcement, and boast about how they used their influence to get out of a citation that they deserved. That is reprehensible behavior and those that do it should be ashamed of themselves. Sadly it is happening on this thread.

I find two things irritating in this realm of discussion. The first is when people who are regular and knowing offenders when it comes to speeding bitch when they are caught and denigrate the LEO who caught them. I hear this often and I cannot help but feel disgust. If you can't accept the fine then do not speed, and if you do speed and get caught, then shut-up about it. The second thing that chaps my arse is people who have a badge, or some other influence in law enforcement, and boast about how they used their influence to get out of a citation that they deserved. That is reprehensible behavior and those that do it should be ashamed of themselves. Sadly it is happening on this thread.

Yeah

om

I’ll take my lumps and never have had credentials… I think I have benefited when in a club group stop with certain characters.
I find I speed a lot less than I used to since the limits are higher unless trying to keep pace with the older dudes or H :laugh

Taiwan cops

Long before Taiwan legalized large displacement motorcycles, I acquired a R1100r BMW. From what I was told, it was smuggled into Taiwan in parts from Japan. Even though it needed some work and it was illegal, I decided to buy it and just have it to tinker with. I began riding it just around my area at first as no cops ever came to that area. Finally I started taking longer rides and usually into the mountains where cops were few. But one day on my way I saw flashing lights behind me and then a siren. I pulled over and waited for them. I figured I was in trouble because first all the bike is illegal, I have no Taiwan drivers license and the tag on the bike just has BMW on it. I got off the bike and pulled my helmet off ( even though I can speak some Chinese, I did not) and started speaking in English to them. They were a little surprised and apparently did not understand anything I had said, which was good for me. They began talking to each other and pointing at the bike and I could tell they did not want to get involved. One of the cops walked to the back of the bike and pointed at my tag and said, "BMW, good, Go." And I went.

Well, you don't have to read this thread. Just sayin....

It's called professional courtesy in the profession when one is given a pass. Not every leo honors the courtesy, there's plenty I know out there that would write their granny a ticket.

I looked at it this way, I wrote 1-2 tickets per 100 stops, everyone got a break of no ticket but the few who were either beligerant/had a tude at the window or didn't know why they were stopped. The 97-98 people who didn't get a ticket were given a pass instead of a ticket without so much as a wants and warrants check not because they had creds, and so

"what goes around, comes around" is a perfect expression of fair play.

We've seen in this thread how many motors were given a pass instead of a ticket all over the US. Giving a pass is giving a pass, whether it's because it was professional courtesy or not. Maybe everyone should get the ticket as a matter of course, then there'd be no reason to take issue with a pass no matter who they are.

Nah, I like the system in play, and I'm sure all the previous posters given a pass would agree :D

Last edited:
It's called professional courtesy in the profession when one is given a pass. Not every leo honors the courtesy, there's plenty I know out there that would write their granny a ticket.

I looked at it this way, I wrote 1-2 tickets per 100 stops, everyone got a break of no ticket but the few who were either beligerant/had a tude at the window or didn't know why they were stopped. The 97-98 people who didn't get a ticket were given a pass instead of a ticket without so much as a wants and warrants check not because they had creds, and so

"what goes around, comes around" is a perfect expression of fair play.

We've seen in this thread how many motors were given a pass instead of a ticket all over the US. Giving a pass is giving a pass, whether it's because it was professional courtesy or not. Maybe everyone should get the ticket as a matter of course, then there'd be no reason to take issue with a pass no matter who they are.

Nah, I like the system in play, and I'm sure all the previous posters given a pass would agree :D

Well said Brother.

If I get caught I own it.

Welcome to adulthood, right? Ownership of our errors? :D

If you're given a pass as so many here have related, there's no error to own. I prefer not to own it, but if it's issued, send the funds and be done with it.

Last ticket I got I did a state prescribed course on line [ for about the price of the ticket ] and it wasn't sent to the registry/ins. for a rate increase. Two years without another one like it, I can take that on line course again to avoid insurance increases. It's been over 3 years now ;)

If you're given a pass as so many here have related, there's no error to own. I prefer not to own it, but if it's issued, send the funds and be done with it.

Last ticket I got I did a state prescribed course on line [ for about the price of the ticket ] and it wasn't sent to the registry/ins. for a rate increase. Two years without another one like it, I can take that on line course again to avoid insurance increases. It's been over 3 years now ;)

Yeah. 4 years now for me, so I'm traffic school eligible again. I think you have to stay clean and ticket free for two years. I had to pay the fine, then pay traffic school and attend and finish within like 60 days of signing up. I took it all online, which enforced time spent on line to a full 8 hours and there were required chapter level tests on traffic laws, etc.

But, no insurance hikes, which would have been some multiple of the fine.

I don't have a problem with cops doing their job, after all I help pay them, but I had difficulty with a particular region's enforcement practices and general way they dealt with the public. I didn't there was any other possibility for enforcement until I met the CHP, who seem to start conversations with some degree of respect and proper business like attitude.

I was rolling home on my R11S and was hitting it pretty hard up a hill by Nicasio Reservoir, probably ten miles from home here. I get to the top of the hill and see a bike a ways up parked on the right. Suddenly, the rider, whose seated on the bike snaps around to face me and as I get closer, it's a CHP motor officer. He waves me over. I look at his RT. He's looking at my S bike.

"Nice bike", I say.

"Thanks. You see that?" He points at the 75 in a 55 on the radar.

"That's bad."

"That's right. Get out of here."

"You bet. Have a safe day."

FWIW, I think the officer was one of the guys that helped lead the local BMW dealer's club rides. We'd meet somewhere, get out on 101 to head to some twisty roads and the CHP would lead. At like 90. Two CHP rolling hard on RTs, right side by side, with 45 bikes behind them all hauling ass.

I think he was the guy that pulled over a van that had all of us stacked up behind them on 1 and then rolled by the turnout without yielding. Cal law is "if you have 5 people following you, you need to use the turnout."

992CA530-90FC-4090-804C-02E89EEE8054.jpg

South of Marfa on US 67…Group of eight headed back towards Alpine after spirited ride on River Road. Trooper at bottom of hill waved us into pullout on opposite side of highway. We had been warned about stops at two over and lots of new Troopers “training in area” and def being prudent after leaving Presidio. He asked as grayhairs started removing helmets who was the leader, saying nice formation and where’s your licenses?
Ran all of us as H asked questions and gave us back our ID’s in short order. Told us have a good afternoon and rolled away. She was saying buh-bye in that shot :laugh
Now with 75MPH limits, we rarely get a second look.

A couple winters ago i was heading west in Texas on the slab. Coming out of El Paso I decided to take Rt. 9 which runs parallel to the Mexican border. It wasn't long before I realized that was a fairly boring road and that at the speed limit it would be a long ride.About every 5 miles I would see a border patrol car.After I would pass one I would at set the cruise control at 95 and slow down to 80 when I would see the next border patrol.I was confident they weren't going to come after me for speeding.When I was getting close to I think Columbus I saw the reflection of what I thought was another border patrol and slowed to 80 again and cruised by a New Mexico highway patrol. He pulled out of the half assed hiding spot and came after me. I saw him coming and new he was after me. So I was pulled over and had my license out before he walked up to me. I explained the road had no traffic, was boring and I felt safe at 80. He wrote me a warning ticket for a speed much lower than 80 and told me to enjoy my ride. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass but told him that it wouldn't be much fun at 55. He grinned and winked at me then said just be careful.

In 1962 I had graduated from Paramount High School in Los Angeles County and bought a Honda Super Cub 50. One of my friends thought I was having a lot of fun with it so he bought one too. Being young and stupid, we decided to have a race to see who was faster. We were not stupid enough to race on public streets in LA county, so decided to do the race at the nearby junior high school running track. We were having a good time until the deputy sheriff showed up and wrote us each a ticket for racing motorcycles on a junior high school track. I think the fine was something like 5 or 10 dollars, which was real money then.
Mick

I got a major freebie today! Our muddy driveway had finally firmed up (only six inches deep now) for me to get the GSA out for the first time this year. I was happily zipping down a curvy road keeping an eye out for frost heaves, potholes, gravel and the usual winter leftovers not really sharing a glance at the TFT. Came around a curve right into a speed trap! 81 in a 50 zone. The deputy flashed his high beams and motioned for me to slow down.

No ticket, though I certainly would have deserved one!

It was a blue bird sky day and I was headed west thru Minnesota, the pavement was nice, temp just right, just a great day to ride. I traveling along about twenty over, when I went by this cross road when the corn field light up. I down shifted and pulled over and proceeded to get out the proper paper work. When the friendly sheriff came along side he asked me for my license and for me to take off my helmet and when he saw all the snow, shook his head and began to grin. When he asked me why I was going so fast I said to him , well you can see I'm from New Hampshire, so you can't go more than a 1/2mi without the the road going left or right or around, and I was so enjoying the straightness of the roads in the state. He gave me another big grin, told me to keep it down, and that South Dakota and I-80 was just 10 mis. down the road and I could go 80mis. hr. there. I thanked for his generosity and I would certainly take his advice.

Riding home from the Des Moines rally, crossing Ohio, I got an alarm through my helmet speakers, and a dashboard indicator that my rear tire pressure was dropping on my 2015 R1200GS. I spotted an Ohio State Trooper in a median crossover. I stopped and advised him what was going on. His first response was that he thought my rear tire looked okay. But he did agree to help me, with advice on which exit to take to find a gas station with an air pump. He even had me follow him to that exit. I got my R1200GS up on the center stand. He helped me find what was causing the problem, a puncture from a sliver of metal. He said he rode a Harley. He seemed impressed that my bike gave me the warning that the rear tire was going down. He asked if I would be okay. I told him I had everything I needed to plug the tire and would be fine. I was grateful that he helped me as much as he did.

Harry

I had a similar encounter several years ago. I went to southern ID as part of a work crew to build a metal barn for a friend’s retired dad. We’d finished the project and I was making my way home heading north of Boise on ID55, just north of Cascade, on my ‘83 R80ST. I felt a slight wiggle in the back of the bike and from experience, suspected a rear tire going down so pulled over in the next wide spot.

Immediately in traffic behind me I’d spotted an ISP vehicle that started following me at Cascade, which pulled over right behind me with lights on for my safety. By the time he walked up I had my helmet off and was taking my gear off. When I told him I’d stopped for a flat tire, he asked if he could call me a wrecker (in the pre-cell phone days, remember those?😁 ). I told him I was good as I unloaded the bike and pulled out my tools.

I had the wheel off, tire broken down with one side of the tire off of the rim, the old tube out, the nail out of the tire, tire patched, new tube in, tire remounted, test inflated, deflated, wheel reinstalled, tire inflated, and gear back on the bike inside of twenty minutes.

The officer couldn’t believe that I had everything I needed without assistance and that I could get back on the road so fast. I appreciated him taking the time to stop and check on me.

I had the wheel off, tire broken down with one side of the tire off of the rim, the old tube out, the nail out of the tire, tire patched, new tube in, tire remounted, test inflated, deflated, wheel reinstalled, tire inflated, and gear back on the bike inside of twenty minutes.

Impressive.

Any pictures of that ST?

SPP

Back