• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell us your cop stories. Times they let you go, times they didn't, funny stops.

Hey Pete,
I know why you were stopped..., you sold me your Zumo 550 years ago. Now it keeps me out of troublešŸ˜.

9D9ECFBF-E9BD-4FB7-9162-A28052D94BBF.jpeg

Not my story, but I guy I used to know.
He was roughly 65 years old a the time and rode a Yamaha sport bike, and rode it well! One day he was headed home from work, running about 10 over and meets a cop. The cop spins around and pulls him over. The cop is standing right beside him when he takes his helmet off. The cop looks at him, stutters a bit, then says never mind, walks back to his cruiser and drives away. The only thing he could guess is the cop was thinking he was going top raise cane with some kid, and when the helmet comes off sees gray hair and a old guy. Maybe the cop probably figured he was too old to give him hell!

Voni and I were eastbound from Kansas City on US24. When we got to US 65 at the east edge of Waverly, MO we turned north on US 65. We had been riding in a 60 mph zone so once outside the edge of the town I rolled right up to 7 over at 67 mph. We met a Missouri trooper who did an instant U turn and lit us up. He insisted we were in a 55 mph zone putting us at 12 over. At the time Voni had a CDL to drive a school bus hauling cheerleaders from time-to-time. I told him since I was leading he should give just me a ticket.

He went into a long spiel about how it was his duty to treat every motorist the same. His name, by the way was Officer Friendly: at least that is what his name tag said - F R I E N D L Y. He went on to explain that he had friends that didn't like him any more because he had given them tickets. I heard Voni mumbling under her breath, "OK, I won't be your friend either."

When he went to run our licenses he noticed that hers was a CDL and he knew that tickets are bad things if you have a CDL. When he came back he had eased his conscience without violating his "duty" to treat us the same. He handed us both tickets for 5 over which in Missouri was like a parking ticket and not reportable.

Last edited:
Good to remember that some of the POā€™s are expected to write tickets. With some POā€™s, this causes angst.
Situationally, hope for the best.
OM

Good to remember that some of the POā€™s are expected to write tickets. With some POā€™s, this causes angst.
Situationally, hope for the best.
OM

With the exception of very few depts in the US, there's no quota for tickets. Worked for two different depts there, and knew officers from all over the state, none had quota's to fill.

It has happened in some small towns with barney fifes and an aggressive chief giving quota's as that's how they generate revenue [ two in Fla come to mind, and the feds took over one of them, then turned it over to the sheriffs office. The town cops were disbanded, the sheriffs picked up the slack.

Quota's for tickets has been ruled against the law in many states. Does it still happen from time to time, sure. Nothing is 100% either way.

Leo's are expected to do their jobs, and writing civil infractions, though rarely due to a quota, is part and parcel to traffic enforcement.

We were on our way home from Bike Week a couple of years ago and stopped in Thomson, GA for lunch. When we walked in there was a large sheriffs deputy sitting by himself. My wife and walked over and asked if we could join him. He asked us where we were headed and we told him Atlanta. He said he was retiring in 2 weeks and moving to Dacula (a suburb of Atlanta) to move in with his girlfriend. He went on to say he wasn't going to stop anyone or knock on anyone's door for the next 2 weeks. We had a good laugh and before we left he gave us the locations of all the sheriffs deputies on our way and where the state police usually hung out.

I told him since I was leading he should give just me a ticket.

One time we were stopped for 15 over in SE Minnesota and the Trooper told me he was giving both of us a ticket for 10 over.
I said "why don't you just give me a ticket and my wife a warning."
His reply was "Matching bikes, matching tickets"
I thought that was funny and grinned and kept visiting with the guy.
After awhile he changed his mind and only gave me a ticket.

We didn't know it at the time but Debbie's drivers license was expired. We were lucky he never looked at her license.

Law Enforcement Officers seem to really like me. I can see no other explanation for why in the last 36 years I have not received a performance award, despite having been invited to have at least a dozen road side chats during that time frame. I know it was 36 years ago because the last ticket I got was shortly before my daughter was born and she is 36. Some memorable stops include being pulled for doing 90 in a 55 zone in Wyoming. I was passing thru on my way to FT Lewis, WA and riding with a buddy. The county sheriff pulled us and he was an elderly fellow that apparently was lonely and just wanted someone to talk to; and talk he did. Kept us stopped for over an hour, never ran our names or plate numbers. Asked us all about the bikes, what we did in the Army and seemed genuinely interested in our answers. It occurred the penalty for being in hurry in his county was losing time. Seemed fair. Eventually he told us to be safe and left. My most recent encounter was this past November. Got pulled in my truck for doing 72 in a 60 zone. Again, it was a cordial encounter during which he suggested I should watch my speed. I think you are off to a good start with any LEO if you have the required documents, you do not give him/her any reason to be nervous about your behavior, are respectful in your language (I never call a LEO Sir or Ma'me, but do address them with their title - Officer, Trooper, Deputy). I do not lie but I do not volunteer information either. It helps to have grey hair and it doesn't hurt if they accidentally see your retired military ID card. I hear it is not a good idea to flash an ABA card.

One time we were stopped for 15 over in SE Minnesota and the Trooper told me he was giving both of us a ticket for 10 over.
I said "why don't you just give me a ticket and my wife a warning."
His reply was "Matching bikes, matching tickets"
I thought that was funny and grinned and kept visiting with the guy.
After awhile he changed his mind and only gave me a ticket.

We didn't know it at the time but Debbie's drivers license was expired. We were lucky he never looked at her license.

You guys are way too ready to fall on your sword for your wives. Never been stopped while riding with Annie, but should that happen I'll turn state's evidence in a flash. She's younger than me and can do the time.

You guys are way too ready to fall on your sword for your wives. Never been stopped while riding with Annie, but should that happen I'll turn state's evidence in a flash. She's younger than me and can do the time.

:rofl :rofl

om

Lucky Me!

I was on the last day of a 9 day farewell tour with my '12 RT "Bronze". The bike was returning to Gig Harbour for cleaning and prep, then shipped back to Ft. Lauderdale for trade in on another bike. I was running up the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway for those that haven't been) in Washington State, and about 30 miles up the road would be turning northeast for Gig Harbor. That area of the PCH has several high ridges the PCH rises and falls over and has the three lane configuration with two going up to accommodate slower vehicles, and one coming down. I was running up one and just got into a great rhythm and groove on the outside lane, passing all the slower vehicles. As I proceeded I knew I was over the speed limit, posted at 55mph. Once atop the ridge I was pulled over by a state officer and I immediately pulled over, took off my helmet and waited for the officer to approach. He was quite angry and asked if I knew I was doing 90mph in a 55mph zone. I said I knew I was speeding but didn't realize I was going that fast. He asked for license and registration. I asked permission to walk around the bike to the land side, asked for permission to reach into my pocket for my license, asked for permission to reach into my right dash compartment for my registration, and waited for each nod of yes to proceed. He walked back to his cruiser and I stood there beside my RT with my head down, figuring I was going to jail, at least for a possible overnight. 15 minutes later he came back and told me he could arrest me, but because I was from Grand Cayman, I'd probably get off, he could give me a ticket, but I could probably get out of it, because I was resident in Grand Cayman, "so slow down and take it easy" in a forceful voice. I thanked him, and I did slow down. I've modified my behavior somewhat from that incident. I still like to go fast but I'm more cautious about where I speed. I know my respectfulness, caution on producing my credentials, admitting guilt immediately, and my driving license from the Cayman Islands are what helped save me from a very unsavory experience. Thing is, it is so ridiculously easy to go way over the speed limit in a BMW and still feel completely in control.

bronze_rugbyND_jul17.jpg

The only moving violation in my entire life was in California for speeding in a school zone. I was paced at 42mph on a slight downhillā€¦on my BICYCLE!

The cop asked for my ID so I gave him my military ID. He asked if I had a driverā€™s license and like a fool I handed that to him as well. Should have responded that it wasnā€™t needed on a bicycle but I never thought heā€™d actually cite me!

It did give me bragging rights in the bike shop, though!

Ok, one more!

When touring Voni and I usually hit the road for 75 or 100 miles or so and then stop for a late breakfast, or brunch if you prefer that term. We had stopped for food at a restaurant in some town in some state in the Great Plains, I forget which. We sat down and had just ordered when two law enforcement officers came into the restaurant. One was a state trooper and one was a deputy sheriff. I saw them when they came in. The deputy looked around the room and then came over to our table, having recognized us as the likely motorcyclists from our riding gear, and the helmets on the table.

He asked if those motorcycles were ours. I said yes. He told us that one of the motorcycles was making a funny noise. I went out to check and discovered my Valentine 1 radar detector was just screaming due to the radar transmitter in the patrol car parked next to my motorcycle. I had neglected to turn the V1 off. When I walked back into the restaurant both officers waved and were smiling as I traipsed sheepishly back to the table.

Last edited:
I was on the last day of a 9 day farewell tour with my '12 RT "Bronze". The bike was returning to Gig Harbour for cleaning and prep, then shipped back to Ft. Lauderdale for trade in on another bike. I was running up the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway for those that haven't been) in Washington State, and about 30 miles up the road would be turning northeast for Gig Harbor. That area of the PCH has several high ridges the PCH rises and falls over and has the three lane configuration with two going up to accommodate slower vehicles, and one coming down. I was running up one and just got into a great rhythm and groove on the outside lane, passing all the slower vehicles. As I proceeded I knew I was over the speed limit, posted at 55mph. Once atop the ridge I was pulled over by a state officer and I immediately pulled over, took off my helmet and waited for the officer to approach. He was quite angry and asked if I knew I was doing 90mph in a 55mph zone. I said I knew I was speeding but didn't realize I was going that fast. He asked for license and registration. I asked permission to walk around the bike to the land side, asked for permission to reach into my pocket for my license, asked for permission to reach into my right dash compartment for my registration, and waited for each nod of yes to proceed. He walked back to his cruiser and I stood there beside my RT with my head down, figuring I was going to jail, at least for a possible overnight. 15 minutes later he came back and told me he could arrest me, but because I was from Grand Cayman, I'd probably get off, he could give me a ticket, but I could probably get out of it, because I was resident in Grand Cayman, "so slow down and take it easy" in a forceful voice. I thanked him, and I did slow down. I've modified my behavior somewhat from that incident. I still like to go fast but I'm more cautious about where I speed. I know my respectfulness, caution on producing my credentials, admitting guilt immediately, and my driving license from the Cayman Islands are what helped save me from a very unsavory experience. Thing is, it is so ridiculously easy to go way over the speed limit in a BMW and still feel completely in control.

View attachment 86777

Accuracy nitpick: "Pacific Coast Highway" is only California 1 from San Diego to San Francisco, about 400 miles or so. North of SF, 1 turns into "Shoreline Highway" all the way to the Oregon border. In Oregon it's just called "Pacific Highway". I forget what they call it in Washington.

35 over? You lucked out, man.

The only moving violation in my entire life was in California for speeding in a school zone. I was paced at 42mph on a slight downhillā€¦on my BICYCLE!

The cop asked for my ID so I gave him my military ID. He asked if I had a driverā€™s license and like a fool I handed that to him as well. Should have responded that it wasnā€™t needed on a bicycle but I never thought heā€™d actually cite me!

It did give me bragging rights in the bike shop, though!

Documented top speed on my bicycle Garmin: 52mph. :ha

It's accurate, too. I was coming down the western descent off Carson Pass in the Sierras. Around here, they don't worry much about speed of bicycles, but they're always happy to right a ticket if you don't put a foot down at stops, even if you do a track stand are come to a complete stop.

$370ish bucks, too.

Documented top speed on my bicycle Garmin: 52mph. :ha

It's accurate, too. I was coming down the western descent off Carson Pass in the Sierras. Around here, they don't worry much about speed of bicycles, but they're always happy to right a ticket if you don't put a foot down at stops, even if you do a track stand are come to a complete stop.

$370ish bucks, too.

I would either have to reform or go broke, I guess. :)

I would either have to reform or go broke, I guess. :)

I was on a team bicycle ride one time and we rolled up to a stop sign with a couple riding groups, probably 8 or so in each group. I was first and pulled up to a full stop and saw the cop 50 yards up the side street. I yelled COP and every single cyclist unclipped one foot, touched the ground and rolled through. :D

I waved cuz that's what I do. :ha :wave

Here's the thing in California - if enforcement was at the level of lots of other states - I'm looking at you Ohio, Washington State and Mass. - I'd worry more about the size of the ticket fees. The cops just aren't that prevalent here. We drove from here, north of San Francisco, to San Diego a few weeks ago and I think we saw all of two CHP over almost 600 miles on I5. And that's pretty standard across a bunch of trips down there. 60 miles in Mass will probably net you four or five with a mixture or townies and staties. Ohio? Who knows. I've been there and seen a Cessna flying up the median at like 100 feet above the ground with a cop hanging out the right door with a radar gun and like 5 troopers parked up the road handing out tickets.

I had been running close to 100 MPH actual in Arkansas when the thought crept in, this road is straight, save speed for the fun parts. So I sowed down, to according to the Highway partol to 81, In a 55. I pulled right over. I had just bought new Olympia green riding gear, on a bright day it is hurt your eyes green.
The officer commented he was glad I did not run. I said ā€œwhat good would it do, you could see the green glow 2 counties awayā€. He chucked and I thought Reduced speed????? He asked if it helped, and I said yes, but it is not 100% Then he lectured me that if he wrote me up for my speed I would have to go to jail Since I was not the typical rider, in that I had helmet, gear, insurance and endorsement so I am going to give you a break. Written warning!!!! He said I will remember you, and if I see you again, you will get the full ticket, tow and ride to our jail.. Have a nice day and ride slower. I hate scraping you guys up.

So 26 over and being older, with great gear saved me.

Note, it does not always work. so far the score is 8 stops, 2 written tickets, 2 written warning.

Rod

Two opposite endings with 2 opposite bikes......
My second motorcycle I owned when I was just a youngin and in the Air Force near the end of my first enlistment, a '86 GSX/R-750. I had a yellow lense cover over the dual headlights which stood out and made it impossible to not be noticed (dumb idea!). Running a few MPH over the speed limit in small town Massachusetts, I go by a speed trap. The young officer pulls out and rolls up on me yelling that my yellow headlights are illegal and unless I remove the cover, I'll be towed. I probably gave him some lip and he gave me a ticket for 3 over and having illegal headlights. The cover was removed so I could proceed with my day but a $50 ticket wasn't much fun.
The next time I was pulled over on a bike was 30 years later, rolling through a small town in Pennsylvania near Lancaster on my very new K16GT and wife riding pillion. I'm certain I was doing 20 over the limit! The officer comes walking up just staring at the bike. I had my paperwork ready for him but all he wanted to do was talk about the bike. He had already run my plates and realized I was no kid and didn't care one bit about the speed. We both thanked him and carried on with the ride.

A little age and attitude goes a long way!

Like many here, have been riding since early teens and many stories :laugh
When in a group, you only needed to be faster than others to stay out of trouble,so, actually no citations until I met H and started riding Beemers
My first ticket was following her in the dark to meet up for a Big Bend group ride when we went through a known to everyone but me small town outside San Antonio known for stops . I saw the LEO flip around and pulled over. The very young officer was already in a mood when H had turned around to check out action laughing I was getting a ticketā€¦ the officer thanked her for coming back and asked for her license. She wasnā€™t laughing at that point! We agreed to just wait at next opportunity in future encounters.

About a year later, our German neighbor on his Boxer Cup 1100 joined us for a ride and was setting a brisk pace. We had passed a line of cars as the passing zone ended, H hadnā€™t made the pass and was pretty far back as neighbor pulled back in line as a LEO was coming over rise and lit us up doing a 180 in front of the cars we just cleared. He said we scared the crap out of himā€¦ his big gulp drink seems to be in his lap from his wet khakis and he was pissed. He asked me why I had been looking behind me and I said checking where my wife was ā€¦ about then she rolled by and never looked over or slowed. He said sure buddy you know her and finished his chewing out but said he didnā€™t see anything ticket worthy after hearing stories. H was waiting down the road once again laughing at us and proud of her roll by.

Back