• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

22 RT with Active Cruise Control (not adaptive)

tleonard

Just ordered a new RT. The build sheet says, 5DF-Active Cruise Control. The dealer thinks this is different than the previously available - Adaptive Cruise Control but doesn't know the difference. The BMW website still calls it -Adaptive Cruise Control. He also says the active or adaptive cruise control will not be dealer upgradeable when the backordered parts become available, as with the radio.

Does anyone know what is going on with the terminology and what's the latest with the cruise control? Thanks.

Just ordered a new RT. The build sheet says, 5DF-Active Cruise Control. The dealer thinks this is different than the previously available - Adaptive Cruise Control but doesn't know the difference. The BMW website still calls it -Adaptive Cruise Control. He also says the active or adaptive cruise control will not be dealer upgradeable when the backordered parts become available, as with the radio.

Does anyone know what is going on with the terminology and what's the latest with the cruise control? Thanks.

Somewhere in Germany an intern is now in charge.

When you use the Build Your Own tool on the BMW website Active and Adaptive appear to be the same thing.

Adaptive Cruise Control
Active Cruise Control (ACC) regulates both the vehicle’s speed and following distance via a radar sensor. If the traffic ahead of the rider slows down, ACC will maintain the selected following distance from the vehicle ahead. If possible, ACC will return to the pre-selected speed. This allows for more relaxed riding on long trips.

This link explains Active Cruise Control
https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/engineering/detail/comfort-ergonomics/acc.html

Thank you, Lee. The dealer was explaining to me that active cruise was a less sophisticated system than the adaptive due to the chip shortage and so on. From looking at your link it looks like active was what I wanted anyway.

I ordered my 2021 RT last March and received it mid August. My order sheet lists "5DF - Active Cruise Control" and it came with "Active" or "Adaptive" or whatever it is called now. You will love it!

I ordered a bike last year and waited 10months. My 22 RT came in a couple of weeks ago and was ordered loaded with every option except the 719. The bike I test rode had the active cruise and you can't even build one on BMW's website without it here in the U.S. I brought the bike home, started to install some parts and noticed it was missing the radar. I called my dealer and they were stunned!!! It looks like BMW simple choose not to include it due to a parts shortage and they did the exact same thing to a GSA ordered with low suspension. Myself and one other guy waited almost a year and they simply left some things out. I know my dealer met with his rep but they simply don't care!!!! The system can not be retrofitted to my knowledge so the dealer bought the bike back from me and they ordered another one and will watch it like a hawk to make sure it does not come missing anything.
I wanted the active cruise control because this is my 2-up bike and I expect to take longer trips on it that involve the highway. The system is very cool and permits you to set a distance from the cars in front and the bike will maintain it. I see no reason not to have that and liked it when I tried it on the demo bike.

Mark

Not knowing anything about this feature on the newer bikes……but understanding how it could be implemented, I took a look.

It is RADAR on the front of the bike. I wonder how rugged the system is?

OM

I wonder what frequency this RADAR uses. This could make the use of Radar detectors or even speed radar interesting when there is frequency spill over. I also wonder what the mishmash of cars with radar and bikes with radar all interacting on congested roadways is going to wind up doing. I suspect chaos.:scratch

Not knowing anything about this feature on the newer bikes……but understanding how it could be implemented, I took a look.

It is RADAR on the front of the bike. I wonder how rugged the system is?

OM

There's been a unit just like it living in the lower front bumper of our Audi for 7 years now.

It's pretty nice to fire up a speed and let the car adjust following distance, etc. When I pull out to the left lane, it accelerates pretty briskly to get me back to cruising speed. I'm way more likely to use it than the "dumb" system on my RT, which always seemed to need a little fiddling unless I was in MOFN Montana or something.

I have it on my Subaru. It's nice tech but as with all other tech I find myself paying less attention to some things and letting the "tech" take over. Did not want it on my 22 but was told it's part of the package. I figured, okay I'll just never use it. I don't want anything to make me complacent. In comes the chip shortage and my new ride just has "regular" cruise. That = happy camper.
YMMV

I brought the bike home, started to install some parts and noticed it was missing the radar. I called my dealer and they were stunned!!! It looks like BMW simple choose not to include it due to a parts shortage and they did the exact same thing to a GSA ordered with low suspension. Myself and one other guy waited almost a year and they simply left some things out. I know my dealer met with his rep but they simply don't care!!!! The system can not be retrofitted to my knowledge so the dealer bought the bike back from me and they ordered another one and will watch it like a hawk to make sure it does not come missing anything.

Mark

This is a well-known phenomenon in the four-wheel BMW world, as well as other car and (I assume) motorcycle manufacturers.

Because of parts and chip shortages, BMW cars are being shipped without certain features, whether power tailgates, touchscreen iDrive, power seats, upgraded stereo systems, or other features. In some cases, these features can be added or retrofitted. In other cases, they cannot.

From what I've read, BMW car dealers are giving customers who ordered the cars that do not arrive as spec'ed, the option of accepting or refusing the sale. Frankly, in this seller's market, if the buyer refuses the car, the dealer just turns around and sells it to someone else almost immediately.

I briefly considered buying a new car. In part because of this phenomenon, I decided to keep driving my current car instead. (To be frank, it's the wiser financial choice for now.)

Yes, and with so much money changing hands it's hard sometimes for the consumer to keep track of small details. I'm concerned with the chip issue. It would be nice to see more chips being made in the USA. I read about Apple building a chip plant in the US, but Apple will be somewhat use specific, and we will need more than just one new plant. I don't mind paying more money for a product made here, but I don't like the idea of paying more money and still suffering low quality. That's why I gave up Harley.

Hope you enjoy the new bike!!!

E.

I wonder what frequency this RADAR uses. This could make the use of Radar detectors or even speed radar interesting when there is frequency spill over. I also wonder what the mishmash of cars with radar and bikes with radar all interacting on congested roadways is going to wind up doing. I suspect chaos.:scratch

Don't know the technical aspects of how it does it but my 2 year old radar detector filters all that stuff out. All I ever get is real police radar. My older detector did not and was rendered pretty much useless on crowded highways with all that going on. The new model fixed all that...at least until some new radar use comes out.

I certainly intended to get the ACC. The dealer had one unit (scheduled for Triple black and the package w/o the ACC) in the pipeline that was still editable, but the various supply line interruptions would have meant a very lengthy delay had I chose that - with no guarantee that I would get it at all.

So when I recall how annoying that feature is in my wife's car in the real world- it was not difficult to sacrifice it on this bike. This will vary from make to make, but Toyota's system is uber-overreacting.

I certainly intended to get the ACC. The dealer had one unit (scheduled for Triple black and the package w/o the ACC) in the pipeline that was still editable, but the various supply line interruptions would have meant a very lengthy delay had I chose that - with no guarantee that I would get it at all.

So when I recall how annoying that feature is in my wife's car in the real world- it was not difficult to sacrifice it on this bike. This will vary from make to make, but Toyota's system is uber-overreacting.

Radar cruise works great in our '19 Sienna, but I only use it on two lane roads where I'm not likely to pass. The conventional constant-speed cruise works better for multilane roads. I'm glad it has both modes available.

I ordered my 2022 RT last September. When I built the bike on line it listed a "Premium" package. The "Adaptive Cruise Control" feature, (sensing the distance between your bike and traffic ahead and adjusting your speed accordingly). All the reviews of bikes at that time said this feature was included in the main option package called Premium package, that 90% of the RT's come with. My dealer thought it was included as well. I picked my bike up January 26th, No Adaptive Cruise control. After my dealer finally got an answer from his rep it was basically, Oh yah, because of the CHIP SHORTAGE, it is not available. BMW conveniently changed the name of the option package that is shown on the handlebar hang tag that lists all the options and packages on the bike. On my bike it just says "Select Package", and does not list Adaptive Cruise Control. The price on the Select package without ACC is $250 less than the Premium package which is $4,500. If you build an RT on the BMW sight right now, you can check "Premium" package and it says the Adaptive Cruise is in the package. Whether you get it or not, who knows. BMW, cars or bikes, has never been very "forthcoming" with information about running changes. As they say in Swahili, Watusi "It is what it is". If the Adaptive Cruise is really important to you, they said it MIGHT be available as a retro-fit but there is no part number for adding it at this time. My advice is pay attention to how close the vehicle ahead of you is and don't run into it. Now isn't that advice worth the $250! Ride On!

The chip shortage is a major problem and manufactures deal with it I'm guessing the best they can. My sister purchased a new series 5 BMW last week, she was at the dealership when it came off the truck. It didn't have the wireless phone charger, her sales person told her it's not available on any model BMW at this time due to the chip shortage. So you just don't know what will be next. If you are buying anything and expect it to have certain features I'd be sure they are present before accepting delivery.

Back