• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stand, Lift, or … for wheel change and maintenance service

Zwniana

Hi everyone. Looking for a lift or stand or whatever else you have tried for an F800gs to perform chain, wheel/tire and other maintenance

Factory lowered bike so I can’t get a center stand.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Looking for a lift or stand or whatever else you have tried for an F800gs to perform chain, wheel/tire and other maintenance

Thank you

A centerstand will do what you need. Does your bike come equipped with one?

I am past rolling around on the ground, so I bought a Harbor Freight lift about ten years ago and it's been one of my most used and useful tools. It seemed like an extravagance at the time, but at $300, it's turned out to be a smoking deal. Even at $400, it's a terrific deal.

A centerstand will do what you need. Does your bike come equipped with one?

I am past rolling around on the ground, so I bought a Harbor Freight lift about ten years ago and it's been one of my most used and useful tools. It seemed like an extravagance at the time, but at $300, it's turned out to be a smoking deal. Even at $400, it's a terrific deal.

Pretty much my thoughts. I have done most with just the center stand. It may take a bit of care using the center stand on the steel lift due to the metal to metal slide possibility but gets you off the ground.
OM

Pretty much my thoughts. I have done most with just the center stand. It may take a bit of care using the center stand on the steel lift due to the metal to metal slide possibility but gets you off the ground.
OM

I have put various bikes on center stands on my Handy Lift literally hundreds of times. I do have the side extensions which allow several things including: I can ride onto the lift. There is room for my feet. I can put the bike on the side stand and get off the bike. When using the center stand I can put my left foot up on the side extension as I use my right foot on the center stand.

Easy for a competent welder to modify a standard height center stand. SWMOTECH and Happy Trails sell stands.

SWMOTECH sells short centerstands for the factory lowered bikes. Easy bolt on.

:dance:dance:dance

SWMOTECH sells short centerstands for the factory lowered bikes. Easy bolt on.
:dance:dance:dance

Thank you. SWMOTECH told me their lowered stand won’t fit the F800gs :blush may try to get one cut and welded.

Out of the lifts, stands, and swing arm stick do you recommend any? Hydronic ones you recommended look awesome.

You did mention in your first post that you couldn't mount a centre stand, I guess everyone else who replied didn't bother to read that far.

I have a nice simple lift with a 1500 lb rating that works very well for lifting pretty much any bike.
IMG_6033-XL.jpg

Plenty of height for working.
IMG_6034-XL.jpg

On any of these lifts, can I lift the bike with the skid plate on or do I remove it? Skid plate is bolted onto the oil pan.

I have an altrider skid plate.

I wonder what the difference is in mountings considerations on the bike itself?
When I lowered my F800GS by 2”, I just shortened both stands to suit.
OM

Check to see how robust your skid plate is, if it's aftermarket it probably is in which case no issue lifting with it on.

You could also pull the rear tire onto a block to make putting it onto the center stand easy.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

You could also pull the rear tire onto a block to make putting it onto the center stand easy.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I agree, but ...

Carry the block when you ride because it is the need to use the center stand when not at home that makes one superior to the other methods you can use at home.

Back