• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MotoScan App vs ....

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I have to give the MotoScan App a big thumbs up, because it was able to do what my ultra-expensive GS-911 could not do.

MotoScan comes in 4 versions.
Lite: FREE
Basic: €14.99
Professional: €29.99
Ultimate: €49.99 (about US$58)

I chose the Ultimate version. I didn't see the point to having a diagnostic tool that did not do what I needed it to do.
You'll also need an OBD adapter. I chose the OBDLink MX+ which can then be used on cars as well.

What I needed it to do in my case and I am sure it does a lot more:
- Reset Service Reminders and set the subsequent date & mileage reminders. I hardly need the ECU to tell me that as my BMWs get over-maintained.
- Change the instrument clock from 12H to 24H. On some BMW models, that can be done in the settings, but not on mine. I could not do something as simple as that using my GS-911.
- ABS Bleed for a thorough brake fluids flush.

Normally, when you pay a lot for a diagnostic scanner (and I have 5) you would expect it to do a lot. I found that not to be the case and I am damn careful spending big coin on promises and company advertizing.

Same on my Durametric Professional diagnostic scanner for the Porsche. Supposedly it does an ABS Bleed on a 996 and 997, but not on a 991...yet. They replied "in the future". The 991 has been out 10 years now. Which future, in a 100 years when they have all rusted away. Pardon the rant!

What GS-911 do you have? Mine can do all of the things you listed.

I bought it in 2016...GS-911wifi (10-pin).

It could not do the 12H to 24H change. Besides, at the price of the GS-911...really. :rolleyes

GS-911 WiFi.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on my third GS911 and when it fails, which it will do based on prior experience, or my ten allowed VINs are used, I'm on nine, I will replace it with MotoScan. I am happy with the performance of the GS911 but the cost, limitation of ten different bikes and potential for it to fail makes me want to make the switch. With the MotoScan I can use it on as many bikes as I wish which is a big help on tech days. I have only had one task that the GS911 could not do that the Motoscan could do. I bought a used 2013 F700GS. It was purchased without the onboard computer option. The bike comes with everything needed to have the onboard computer function except the ambient temperature sensor which can be purchased for around $8. All that is needed to make the onboard computer function is to turn on the various functions in the ECU. The GS911 could not to this task, a friend's MotoScan did it with ease. So now the bike displays gear position, ambient temp and a variety of other bits of info I will likely not use, but he gear position function is important to me, A BMW dealer would charge $250 to activate the onboard computer.

Yes, I have been to that chart. 2016 R1200 GSA LC (K51).

And when you click on the Instrument Cluster XKOMBI50 this pops up...
Instrument Cluster K51.jpg

Which does not allow a time format change. I like a 24H format...comes from my aviation days. I wish I could get an AM/FM clock radio that shows 24H time.

I am on the hunt for a serious bi-directional diagnostic tester for my cars and especially for the Porsche and have checked reviews on YouTube. Unfortunately, most of the reviews are quite useless. I did come across one review the other day showing an Autel MaxiCOM MK808 ($$$) and it would not work on his car. You pretty well have to write the company and ask them for a COMPLETE matrix of what the unit is capable of doing on a particular year, make and model.

View attachment 86715

Which does not allow a time format change. I like a 24H format...comes from my aviation days. I wish I could get an AM/FM clock radio that shows 24H time.

I am on the hunt for a serious bi-directional diagnostic tester for my cars and especially for the Porsche and have checked reviews on YouTube. Unfortunately, most of the reviews are quite useless. I did come across one review the other day showing an Autel MaxiCOM MK808 ($$$) and it would not work on his car. You pretty well have to write the company and ask them for a COMPLETE matrix of what the unit is capable of doing on a particular year, make and model.

My Bose clock/radio has a clock capable of having a 24 hour display.

I am happy with the performance of the GS911 but the cost, limitation of ten different bikes and potential for it to fail makes me want to make the switch.

My GS-911 stays home all the time, so I would assume it is reliable. Maybe if I took it along on rides, that might be an issue.

The 10 bike limitation is an issue and can pi$$ off some friends when they ask to borrow it. I don't lend it out for that reason. The next thing I know, I have 0 bikes left.

I paid a whopping $565 for my GS-911. Welcome to Canada, land of the over-priced everything. These companies like the Durametric and GS-911 need to pull up their socks and get with it and make the units fully compatible and functional...fully bi-directional. The Ross-Tech I had for the VW group cars was a fraction of the price and it did almost everything and I did a lot.

View attachment 86715

I assume this was you and you opened a support ticket to get the beta but that function still wasn’t available yet

https://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,3347.msg11811.html#msg11811

and that your software/firmware is current?

I assume this was you and you opened a support ticket to get the beta but that function still wasn’t available yet and that your software/firmware is current?

Yes and I always update the unit when using it. You can't miss the latter part. Its almost like most of these companies are experimenting. If they knew what they were doing, implement it! I am not going to be a guinea pig, not at the dollars they asked for the unit.

I got the MotoScan in August 2020 after asking some users and the designer in Germany. It worked! I gave up on the GS-911.

I checked their site earlier. Whatever happened to Bose 901, 301 speakers? Are they out of that business? And they don't seem to have those AM/FM clock radios other than used ones on ebay.

Their products go through changing cycles every year it seems as they try to keep up with changing trends. Some I like and some not so much. They aren’t what they used to be when they were primarily a speaker manufacturer but still produce great sound in the majority of their products. Used products on EBay can be a steal as long as you are careful.

I bought one of the first PC/Internet connected radios from them many moons ago and they quit supporting it after 5 years or so. Pissed me off but I still use it connected to my PC and streaming music as I work. Big sound in a small package. And my 5.1 surround speakers are a mix of Bose and Klipsch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_Corporation

Last edited:
A small point to correct - the GS-911 Enthusiast can be upgraded to the Pro version with a software update. So you don't use your 10 Vins and then need to toss it away and get another one. Of course, the upgrade is $350, so ...:banghead

Oh, and I was able to change to a 24 hour clock on my '06 RT using the GS-911. Unfortunately, I can't seem to activate the factory radio I installed, seems to take the DT-1 at the dealer. Bummed.

I have both the Motoscan app (ultimate) and a GS911. As a general comment I would say the former is better at coding functionality and the latter at diagnostics.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

If you are into Facebook there is a fledgling Motoscan group there that could use a lot more members to give it critical mass and be a useful resource.

Back