• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 BMW MOA Grand Coddiwomple Thread

I didn't say sneaky, I said "not-obvious". Every other page is linked in the first page text, except this one. The menu is not easy to see - especially on a mobile device.

And emails can be easy to miss.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Wande Farthe

I'm just missing 2 R's to complete the Wander Farther for this year's Coddiwample. I hope to knock them out tomorrow. I have made this a completely southern California challenge and define "southern" very strictly. I am only using San Diego and Imperial Counties as they are the southernmost counties in the state. Riverside and LA do not count.

I originally thought of doing the entire term in one day but decided to bump it out to be within April. It's been fun so far.

I'm just missing 2 R's to complete the Wander Farther for this year's Coddiwample. I hope to knock them out tomorrow. I have made this a completely southern California challenge and define "southern" very strictly. I am only using San Diego and Imperial Counties as they are the southernmost counties in the state. Riverside and LA do not count.

I originally thought of doing the entire term in one day but decided to bump it out to be within April. It's been fun so far.

If one of your Rs is in Ramona, It would be a short side trip to Dudley’s Bakery in Santa Ysabel. Really good Bear Claws
And Cheese Pockets. A little further in Julian is Moms Cafe, with homemade Apple Pie.
And it all conforms to your strictly southern counties. :D

If one of your Rs is in Ramona, It would be a short side trip to Dudley’s Bakery in Santa Ysabel. Really good Bear Claws
And Cheese Pockets. A little further in Julian is Moms Cafe, with homemade Apple Pie.
And it all conforms to your strictly southern counties. :D

I usually get a turnover or something in Wynola but I might try Dudley's this trip.

Be careful now with your submissions. My Wander Farther Gold was rejected because military installations are not places and City Hall signs are not accepted either but the city limits sign is? I understand the greater restrictions for Platinum but not Gold.

Be careful now with your submissions. My Wander Farther Gold was rejected because military installations are not places and City Hall signs are not accepted either but the city limits sign is? I understand the greater restrictions for Platinum but not Gold.

I am hoping my submission for the Wander Farther Gold is accepted but I did use a picture from my hometown's water tank. I forgot to go to the Post Office.

Are you able to easily resubmit if rejected?

Yesterday I completed the Wander Farther Challenge of the Grand Coddiwomple and logged a total on 825 miles over 4 day trips. I had originally planned on doing the complete challenge in one 410 mile day, but finding one single day to be out for its entirety wasn't happening within the time that I wanted to get it done. Besides, the purpose of the Coddiwompple is to get you “to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination,” and to get out to ride and interact with people; people that will ask you what you are doing taking pictures of your bike with a number flag on it. Also, I ride my RS as a means of therapy and meditation so more short rides is way better than one long ride. Regardless, the Wander Farther Challenge is complete and was fun!

WANDER FARTHER FULL.png

I am hoping my submission for the Wander Farther Gold is accepted but I did use a picture from my hometown's water tank. I forgot to go to the Post Office.

Are you able to easily resubmit if rejected?

Yes, I just had to submit a new one. They don't tell you which ones are rejected though.

Yes, I just had to submit a new one. They don't tell you which ones are rejected though.

That seems odd to me. Did you mean within the submission form? Have you tried e-mailing them for clarification? Is that when they told you about the military installations and the City Hall sign?

Clarification

Wander Farther Gold rejected again! This time I asked in my submission for clarification and I got it. They are being real sticklers this time for some reason as I don't know why as this is for fun and not money. So if it says "Place" in the challenge that is all they will accept then you must have one of exact items in "Proof of visit". No leeway or common sense like last year, I guess I got spoiled last year. Still don't understand the crackdown, must have been something from last year. At this point not sure I want to continue as it is getting aggravating.

Wander Farther Gold rejected again! This time I asked in my submission for clarification and I got it. They are being real sticklers this time for some reason as I don't know why as this is for fun and not money. So if it says "Place" in the challenge that is all they will accept then you must have one of exact items in "Proof of visit". No leeway or common sense like last year, I guess I got spoiled last year. Still don't understand the crackdown, must have been something from last year. At this point not sure I want to continue as it is getting aggravating.

What is it in your rejected photos that the judges say is missing? The rules seem pretty clear.
Maybe you could post one of the rejected photos.

What is it in your rejected photos that the judges say is missing? The rules seem pretty clear.
Maybe you could post one of the rejected photos.

A picture of Enterprise City Hall (Clearly marked) is a no/go since not listed as proof but a city limits sign is. Basically it has to match the list exactly as called for. Do that and you will be fine.

Rejected

Yesterday I completed the Wander Farther Challenge of the Grand Coddiwomple and logged a total on 825 miles over 4 day trips. I had originally planned on doing the complete challenge in one 410 mile day, but finding one single day to be out for its entirety wasn't happening within the time that I wanted to get it done. Besides, the purpose of the Coddiwompple is to get you “to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination,” and to get out to ride and interact with people; people that will ask you what you are doing taking pictures of your bike with a number flag on it. Also, I ride my RS as a means of therapy and meditation so more short rides is way better than one long ride. Regardless, the Wander Farther Challenge is complete and was fun!

View attachment 87537

My submission was also rejected with reasoning that ports are not allowed in the contest. I have requested clarification as my submitted picture clearly shows that I am at the port in one picture. Another was judged as a border control sign. It isn't but maybe acceptable.

Oh well. I will finish soon.

Rejected Photos

Of my 13 photos for the Gold, ten were rejected. They included a Water Tower, Town Halls, a Memorial sign, and fire stations. Three were accepted: a welcome sign and two post offices. Here are three samples of rejected photos:

Attachments

• 13 R Remsen, NY.jpg
    13 R Remsen, NY.jpg
    835.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 8 A Augusta, NY.jpg
    8 A Augusta, NY.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 11 H Holland Patent, NY.jpg
    11 H Holland Patent, NY.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 238
Wander Farther Gold Rejections

If it makes you feel any better, I think several other MOA members had trouble reading between the lines of some poorly written rules. I had six of my thirteen WF Gold pics rejected on my first WFG submission because they were either city hall signs or state park entrance signs and were not considered acceptable "place names" by the 2022 judges (although they were perfectly acceptable by the 2021 judges and the wording in the 2021 and 2022 rules was almost identical). I argued that a city hall sign photo is a SAFER and more secure form of proof of visit since it's more likely to be taken from a parking lot from inside a town or city rather than on the outskirts AND from the SAFETY of a parking lot without cars and trucks zooming by at 60 -70 mph. But I was "poo-poo-ed" by a CW committee judge, who dismissed my concerns for members' safety with this legalistic reply:

"You may have glossed over rule 2d, it reads:

Participation in this activity is strictly voluntary and does not constitute a contract between a participant and the BMW MOA or represent any implication of liability or warranty. Participants are responsible for all costs and/or losses caused by or related to their participation in this event and are solely responsible for their actions. [/I]

In short, You and the other riders are responsible for your own safety and every rider must use their own judgement. Which is one of the reasons rule 5 exists. If you deem it unsafe to take a photo with your motorcycle, don’t. If safe to do so, park your motorcycle and take a photo with your face, your flag and the object. In certain cases it very well may be unsafe to take the photo with either your motorcycle or your face. In that case, don’t. But the bottom line is that It’s your decision and you are responsible for your actions.

In my opinion, in this particular situation, the committee "glossed over" concerns for the safety of our members.

So, here's my (just one member's) take on the 2022 Grand Coddiwomple:

1) It's a "Grand" concept -- a "scavenger hunt" of sorts, sponsored by the MOA (our club) to have some fun with and get some recognition for our efforts from our peers. (The certificate from last year, although it arrived quite late, was nice and cleverly worded. My friends and family got a chuckle and a conversation out of it.)

2) The theme is excellent this year -- big "kudos" to whoever came up with the theme and the scoring structure. More points for the WF Gold and Platinum challenges are good ideas. The points for the "Titans" is great idea. The 42 sites along the "Celebrate the Mother Road Challenge" is a fantastic idea! It really motivates one to get up off the couch and ride to the national rally and consider (if able to do so) a journey along the old mother road from Chicago to L.A.

3) The submission and scoring system is much improved over last year -- last year it was very tedious to submit the pics thru email and then wait weeks for scoring feedback. Big improvement.

4) The 2022 Grand Coddiwomple (unfortunately for me and some others who have posted on this thread) hasn't been as "Grand" (as much fun) as it could have been had this year's judges not mucked it up with their own nitpicky interpretations of what constitutes a "place name," at least in this particular challenge (WF Gold). If the 2022 judges decided ahead of time that they were going to accept ONLY U.S. post office buildings (and not other govt buildings) and ONLY official road signs as proofs of visits, then they should have stated that clearly in the rules from the very start of the event (instead of listing them as "examples" of acceptable submissions, or clarifying in subsequent FAQs). And, one more point to consider ... What member participant really cares if another member participant submitted a pic of the Podunk, IA City Hall versus the Podunk, IA city limits sign? Really?? The point is they proved they visited there with the pic.

ADVICE: Anyone reading this who is doing the 2022 Grand Coddiwomple ... go to places that have U.S. post offices with the "place names" clearly posted on the building (not all new post offices have them) or places (cities, towns, villages) with official ("city limit" or "welcome to") road signs. The judges accepted those "place names" on my resubmission.

Of my 13 photos for the Gold, ten were rejected. They included a Water Tower, Town Halls, a Memorial sign, and fire stations. Three were accepted: a welcome sign and two post offices. Here are three samples of rejected photos:

I too have had a couple of rejections. One was of a Port of Entry Andrade, California. Evidently ports are not acceptable. I also had a water tower rejected and a "Welcome to" type of picture that I inquired about before submission and was told it was acceptable only to have it rejected. I admit, it was of a neighborhood, not an official "place."

I have kept my submissions to official gov't signage and post offices. I am one A away from completion and will be heading out to capture it one of these weekend when I can get away.

13 of 13 submittals rejected

I got all 13 of my photos rejected and I'm not sure why, half of the auto reply emails said the photos were rejected because " ", a blank explanation.
One told me to check the rules and photo requirement and the rest told me the reason for the rejection was Submissions for a Wander Farther challenge must have 13 photo links, one for each letter. Photos must meet the challenge requirements and rules. This is how I submitted them!?!

How does this photo not meet the requirements?
R- River Falls.jpg

Back