• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 BMW MOA Grand Coddiwomple Thread

13 of 13 submittals rejected

Based upon my experiences with the judges ... your pic meets the requirements of the rules -- it's a U.S. post office with the city ("place name") clearly identified, your flag is displayed, and your bike is in the photo. Maybe it (and the other 12?) wasn't accepted by their portal for technical reasons? You have to be careful in copying links to the portal and leaving one (and only one) space between the 13 links for the WFG challenge submission. Keep trying. Good luck.

@Pettynerd, Did you submit each photo individually, or did you create one submission with links to all 13 photos in that single submission?

And what @tmwilmotte said - single space between URLs.

13 of 13 Rejected

I got all 13 of my photos rejected and I'm not sure why, half of the auto reply emails said the photos were rejected because " ", a blank explanation.
One told me to check the rules and photo requirement and the rest told me the reason for the rejection was Submissions for a Wander Farther challenge must have 13 photo links, one for each letter. Photos must meet the challenge requirements and rules. This is how I submitted them!?!

How does this photo not meet the requirements?

Another consideration ... I think most photo sharing apps change the file names of photos you upload, so the judges won't see your file name label for "R - River Falls WI.jpg" or whatever you name it. All they see is your flag number. I overwrite my info (Name, Flag #, Challenge, and Place Name) on each photo using a text editor in Adobe Photoshop LE just to make sure they know who pic is from and what it is being submitted for. May be overkill, but ...

Attachments

• Atascosa Post Office L.jpg
    Atascosa Post Office L.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 182
@Pettynerd, Did you submit each photo individually, or did you create one submission with links to all 13 photos in that single submission?

And what @tmwilmotte said - single space between URLs.

Yes, it was all user error on how it was submitted, resubmitted so we'll see how that goes.
Still I didn't think the rejection notification was informative on what I did wrong and it should have specifically said what the issue was instead of pointing me rules or a blank note, I shouldn't have to send out an email asking what was wrong.

On to the next challenge!

Yes, it was all user error on how it was submitted, resubmitted so we'll see how that goes.
Still I didn't think the rejection notification was informative on what I did wrong and it should have specifically said what the issue was instead of pointing me rules or a blank note, I shouldn't have to send out an email asking what was wrong.

On to the next challenge!

OK, this is getting silly! Received the following for my submittal:

Your submission # created on 2022-05-10T13:15:58.000Z has been put into a needs clarification status.

The Judge's comment was "".

I don't know what "" is instructing me to correct or verify!!:banghead

Coddiwomple

I was happy getting 50 points more than needed to complete my Coddiwomple last year, living a couple of miles off Route 66 I again will not have to try to hard to get needed points

P.S. June 3-5 the Illinois Airheads are having a campout at Livingston County 4H fairgrounds which are very near Pontiac, Illinois
Cheap Camping with very good Shower/Restroom facilities.
Good Food
Free Beer ((unless we run out )
Lots of Coddiwomple points to be had.

Your submission # created on 2022-05-10T13:15:58.000Z has been put into a needs clarification status.

I received a comment from a judge on one of my 50 point "Titan" submissions, but their multiple pic submissions (like the WFG and WFP) may not allow personal comments by judges on individual photos. I think (hope) eventually you'll get some kind of email response explaining what the technical problem is.

I finally had to ask in the comments to please give me some details and they did. 4th time was charm!

Wander Farther Gold Completed

I was finally able to complete the Wander Farther Gold Challenge with the acquisition of the A from Aguanga. I had really tried to keep my challenge within Imperial and San Diego Counties but the only "legal" A within those confines was Alpine so I had to venture briefly into Riverside County for Aguanga.

So this challenge had me log 1291 miles, so basically it was 100 miles per letter. Keeps it pretty tidy.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.45.24 AM.png

Wander Farther Gold Completed

I was finally able to complete the Wander Farther Gold Challenge with the acquisition of the A from Aguanga. I had really tried to keep my challenge within Imperial and San Diego Counties but the only "legal" A within those confines was Alpine so I had to venture briefly into Riverside County for Aguanga.

So this challenge had me log 1291 miles, so basically it was 100 miles per letter. Keeps it pretty tidy.

View attachment 87905

Congrats on finishing this challenge at a "tidy" 100 miles per letter. Have you figured your COST per letter, considering whatever you're paying for gas out in California?

I did some numbers crunching on what it would cost me financially to complete the rest of the challenges along the "mother road" from Chicago to L.A., as well as the "Titans," and various cities/towns/road signs along the way. Big bucks! My once "full" enthusiasm meter is now wavering between "empty" and "1/4 full."

With my WFG and a few "Titans" already scored, I may just settle on being a "finisher." Besides, based upon last year, I have my doubts that the MOA is going to provide much emphasis on the Coddiwomple event or recognition for finishers.

I did some numbers crunching on what it would cost me financially to complete the rest of the challenges along the "mother road" from Chicago to L.A., as well as the "Titans," and various cities/towns/road signs along the way. Big bucks! My once "full" enthusiasm meter is now wavering between "empty" and "1/4 full."

I figured gas costs for the "celebrating" (full Rte 66 locations), "Get your kicks", States along, historic signs, and Platinum Wander Farther challenges combined into going to the rally at roughly $650... But I'm starting from SoCal so it makes it a little easier to swallow... After the Rally I'll return through Reno hitting 5 more states for the platinum.

It looks like picture submissions have really picked up for the contest. On May 15, my submission was #880. Today, June 21, my submission was 2022. I will pick up 100 points from today. The time for scoring in May was a couple of days. I have to think that it will be much longer now. No biggie though. The end of October is a long way away.

Currently, I am fully qualified with 750 points, but I want to go to 1250 points to match my bike, an R1250RS. Numbers matter.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Finally submitted my pictures that I picked up from the Missouri state line, through Springfield, and up to Uranus!

I am now a finisher!

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

Texas historic 66 signs?

Has ANYONE found a historic 66 sign that the judges have accepted?

Mine are getting rejected because the ones I found in TX don't fit the same format as the rest of the states...

Judges quote:
This should have been rejected as 1) it Doesn't have the state or historic on it which is what is required for this challenge.

Here's the photo - clearly in TX, clearly an historic sign, but rejected.

TX_old66.jpg

Has ANYONE found a historic 66 sign that the judges have accepted?

Mine are getting rejected because the ones I found in TX don't fit the same format as the rest of the states...

Judges quote:

Here's the photo - clearly in TX, clearly an historic sign, but rejected.

View attachment 88366

Here's the text of the challenge.

For this challenge, provide photographic proof of visit to one historic route US 66 sign for each state that Route 66 traversed. The photo must include both the historic sign and the state identifier for your submission to be accepted.

That sign doesn't meet the requirements of the challenge. I'm sure texas has them, you just need to wander farther to find one.

This sign they'd accept.. None of mine have been rejected..

View attachment 88367

Man, Amarillo was a mess when I went through. Damn. Not getting that sign, I guess. Used up all my vacation and away from home time for this trip.

Sucks that "Old Route 66" isn't enough for them - I feel like the judges are being a little too literal this year. "...like a post office..." should be able to include actual city government buildings, not limited to only post offices. IMHO.

Back