• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 K1600 NO Adaptive Cruise

gunnert

Biker
There are 2 long distance touring motorcycles in the BMW inventory; R1250RT and K1600s. Last year the R was updated with TFT, Adaptive Cruise, etc. But, here we are, 2022, and the premier long distance, all-around, sport tourer, the K1600 does NOT have the latest technology available which would INLCUDE Adaptive Cruise. I've been on my '12 GT for almost 10 years/98,000 miles now. And I WANT a new bike (key word is "want"). But I'm not about to fork out 30 grand and a few thousand more on farkles for a bike that is outdated. On one hand, thank you BMW for saving me money....

Duane

The more crap you hang on a motorcycle; there's more things that can go wrong.

Joe

Hey, Joe, that's exactly what many were saying when ABS, Fuel Injection, traction control, etc. first came out....

Duane

The more crap you hang on a motorcycle; there's more things that can go wrong.

Joe

It would seem BMW may have come to the same realization, as the ever-increasing complexity of their bikes has been cited as a reason for them discontinuing the sale of service discs for their bikes. Not a very comforting admission, made worse by how sparse the dealer network in North America is, and how far out one needs to schedule service appointments. Fortunately, I obtained a service disc for my 2020 K1600 while they were still being offered for sale.

Many speculations have been tossed around here, the other K1600 forum and by industry analysts as to why adaptive cruise is missing on the 2022 K1600's. The two most plausible theories being insufficient space (which IMHO ought to be a solvable problem), and chip shortages/general supply chain issues which are causing big problems in the auto sector too. If the latter, as I suspect is most likely, it probably would have made more people happier to release the 2022 K1600's now with what they can deliver, rather than hold back producing any K1600's after the 2021 model year until BMW can get their hands on sufficient supply of adaptive cruise components. For those for whom adaptive cruise is so important, there are options.

I'd buy a bike in a heartbeat without adaptive cruise. In fact, knowing how well the feature works in cars I've owned and numerous others I have driven, and knowing how expensive it is to repair when it breaks, it is actually one feature I would happily do without until it becomes a fair bit more refined than current iterations. The lack of being able to get service manuals or discs anymore on the other hand seems like a far more justified reason to hold off buying a new BMW bike.

As rhbike above mentioned, the adaptive cc in my vehicles isn't refined enough for me to be comfortable having it on my bike so that option isn't keeping me from buying a new K16.
I'm far more interested in a better dash and more comfortable stock seat. I'd hate to have to buy another $1000 RDL setup for a new bike.
Save your money Duane, keep on rolling that 2012 with me.

It would seem BMW may have come to the same realization, as the ever-increasing complexity of their bikes has been cited as a reason for them discontinuing the sale of service discs for their bikes. Not a very comforting admission, made worse by how sparse the dealer network in North America is, and how far out one needs to schedule service appointments. Fortunately, I obtained a service disc for my 2020 K1600 while they were still being offered for sale.

Many speculations have been tossed around here, the other K1600 forum and by industry analysts as to why adaptive cruise is missing on the 2022 K1600's. The two most plausible theories being insufficient space (which IMHO ought to be a solvable problem), and chip shortages/general supply chain issues which are causing big problems in the auto sector too. If the latter, as I suspect is most likely, it probably would have made more people happier to release the 2022 K1600's now with what they can deliver, rather than hold back producing any K1600's after the 2021 model year until BMW can get their hands on sufficient supply of adaptive cruise components. For those for whom adaptive cruise is so important, there are options.

I'd buy a bike in a heartbeat without adaptive cruise. In fact, knowing how well the feature works in cars I've owned and numerous others I have driven, and knowing how expensive it is to repair when it breaks, it is actually one feature I would happily do without until it becomes a fair bit more refined than current iterations. The lack of being able to get service manuals or discs anymore on the other hand seems like a far more justified reason to hold off buying a new BMW bike.

You're correct, there are other options for adaptive cruise control. But this post is about a K1600.

WRT a service manual, that's your opinion. Which I strongly disagree with... There's nothing "complicated" about a K1600 or any other motorcycle. Sure, you may need special test equipment to troubleshoot electronic components. But, once identified it "ain't rocket science" to remove/replace. Not producing a Service Manual is a sure fired way to increase dependency on dealerships, period.

Duane

Back