• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Activating Strobes Thru A Hazard / Flasher Switch

UALcaptain

I would like to activate four white strobe lights via my red handlebar momentary-press hazards switch (2020 R1250 GS) so that the strobes turn on with the flashers. Please, no comments about strobes - I have had them on several bikes. I believe they aid visibility in certain rare situations. As I am new to BMW's CanBus system, can I assume that wiring the strobe power lead into the hazard power lead will throw a fault code? Any suggestions on how to best do this? I prefer not to buy an aftermarket CanBus type controller unless absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice!

More than likely, the load of the strobes will cause the Canbus to shut down the power. Use a relay to power the strobes and key the relay from the switch. You can power the relay directly from the battery or the aux power receptacle wiring.

If you power the strobes with a fused circuit from the battery and through a relay that uses the bike’s emergency flasher circuit as a trigger, then you should be able to accomplish what you want. The relay will not draw enough power to be noticed by the bike’s CANBus controller. Finding the appropriate point to tap into the flasher circuit may be a challenge.

The problem might then be in getting the lights to function as traditional auxiliary lighting. Someone with a deeper knowledge of electronics may be able to help you with that conundrum.

If it were me, I would wire the strobes so that they are activated by a separate switch from the four way flasher circuit. As stated, use a relay for the load and power the relay coil through the switch. This will allow the OEM flasher circuit to be used without the strobes in all but those "certain rare situations."

I’m not familiar with the bike or the bikes switch. I’m also not familiar with where the actual “switching/flashing” is initiated from……… I was in the old days :gerg
I’m with Paul on the separate switch directly to the battery (fused).
OM

My Denali d2's work off their controller for on/off and are set so that when I turn the emergency flashers on, the d2's and directionals alternate flashing.

If I hit the high beam switch 3 times fast, the Denalis flash 3 times, strobe 3 more times on their own. It's pretty trick and gets peoples attention in front of you. When they won't move over out of the high speed lane, a quick 3 clicks on the high beam switch activates the strobe function and people have always decided to move over [ almost as if they are emergency equipment strobes ].

Back