• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sell me on a new S1000XR!

When the temperatures are below zero F., one is not inclined to take test rides. Instead, one sits on bikes in showrooms, and asks questions on forums such as this one.

I sat on an S1000XR, as well as several other bikes: R1250RS, F900XR, R1250GS, etc.

So, if I were to buy a new bike for fun riding, some touring, some two-up riding, etc., why should it be an S1000XR? Why would I choose another bike?

I gather that it's fast and it handles well. I look forward to taking one for a test ride.

How smooth is it? I'm spoiled by my K1200RS. How comfortable is it, for rider and passenger? How well does it isolate the rider from engine heat? Allowing for the fact that it's not a dedicated touring bike, how protective from the elements is it? How is its gas mileage and range? I tend to prefer shaft drive motorcycles; why should I choose (or not choose) this chain drive bike?

What else should I be asking?

The upright seating position seems most important to me. At least that's why I've ordered a lowered one to replace the R1250R. I considered going with a Triumph Tiger 900 but I want the push button adjustable suspension, integrated GPS and 17" wheels.

I should have added that a friend of mine travels two up with his wife on an XR and she reports it's the most comfortable bike he's had.

When the temperatures are below zero F., one is not inclined to take test rides. Instead, one sits on bikes in showrooms, and asks questions on forums such as this one.

I sat on an S1000XR, as well as several other bikes: R1250RS, F900XR, R1250GS, etc.

So, if I were to buy a new bike for fun riding, some touring, some two-up riding, etc., why should it be an S1000XR? Why would I choose another bike?

I gather that it's fast and it handles well. I look forward to taking one for a test ride.

How smooth is it? I'm spoiled by my K1200RS. How comfortable is it, for rider and passenger? How well does it isolate the rider from engine heat? Allowing for the fact that it's not a dedicated touring bike, how protective from the elements is it? How is its gas mileage and range? I tend to prefer shaft drive motorcycles; why should I choose (or not choose) this chain drive bike?

What else should I be asking?

I owned a 2016 S1000XR. While I enjoyed the bike, I found that I never rode it on anything but day rides. If the ride was an overnight or longer trip, I always fell back to my 2015 R1200RT. Shamefully I did not put as many miles on the bike as I should have during the 5 years that I owned it.

The biggest issue for me was the buzzy handgrips, especially at certain engine speeds. It would quickly numb my hands. The handlebar buzz improved somewhat with increasing mileage, but never enough to make me happy. I constantly found myself using the cruise control to help with this.

The bike was really quick. It got better the faster it went! The Shift Assist worked like a dream (especially compared to the Shift Assist on the boxers). I found the seat comfortable for all day riding. The wind protection was good with the windscreen in the high position, but do not expect it to be comparable to a K1200RS (I owned a 2001 K1200RS and a 2003 K1200GT), a R1200/1250RT, or a GS/GSA. Regarding gas mileage, I averaged 38 to 42 mpg. I never carry a pillion, so I cannot comment on two-up travel on the XR but I suspect the pillion's ride comfort will be comparable to most sport bikes. I never experienced any issue with engine heat.

The bike can make a great sport-tourer, but the emphasis will be on the sport part. I grew to think of the S1000XR as an adult's sport bike. This past summer, I traded my S1000XR and R1200RT for a 2021 R1250GSA. I am thrilled with the GSA and putting significantly more miles on it than both the S1000XR and R1200RT for the same period of time.

Which would force me to ask precisely what bikes he has had. :)

Other than a history of BMW twins, still has a toaster, I don't know. He's in his mid to late 60's and has been riding 50 yrs or so. And he's been married to the same woman for decades and they tour frequently. I think she's tested a fair number of bikes.

Thanks for the responses thus far, everyone.

I figure that no bike will be as smooth as my K12, but I definitely do not like a lot of buzz or shake. From what I've read, I probably wouldn't have been happy with the first generation of this bike, but I've read and heard that the second generation is smoother.

The weather is still below freezing and it recently snowed, so there will be no test rides anytime soon. Next month, I hope. There isn't a rush in terms of my urge to buy immediately, but the reality is that bikes are in demand and winter is the best time to buy.

Part of this decision process will be to decide how large a bike I want. There is something to be said for smaller, lighter, and more nimble. On the other hand, there's also something to be said for powerful and stable. So we'll see.

I do want reasonable cruising range.

So, I'll keep asking questions.

Thanks for the responses thus far, everyone.

I figure that no bike will be as smooth as my K12, but I definitely do not like a lot of buzz or shake. From what I've read, I probably wouldn't have been happy with the first generation of this bike, but I've read and heard that the second generation is smoother.

The weather is still below freezing and it recently snowed, so there will be no test rides anytime soon. Next month, I hope. There isn't a rush in terms of my urge to buy immediately, but the reality is that bikes are in demand and winter is the best time to buy.

Part of this decision process will be to decide how large a bike I want. There is something to be said for smaller, lighter, and more nimble. On the other hand, there's also something to be said for powerful and stable. So we'll see.

I do want reasonable cruising range.

So, I'll keep asking questions.

8 Months later what did you decide? ( I am also looking at 2nd gen XR)

Just one word for XR's: "Intoxicating!"

Daily Driver, heading to work: "6 miles and 7 roundabouts one way"

dailyDriver1.jpg

West Coast vaca XR: snow2022Trip.jpg

Back