Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ADVrider sold?

A "Like" button would be a useful addition here!
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

How do you get a count of how many times you've posted in Word Association?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    How do you get a count of how many times you've posted in Word Association?
    When the thread title is shown (among the list of threads) if there is a little green arrow pointing at the graphic to the left of the title, that means you have posted to that thread. Hover on that green arrow and it will give your post count. I discovered this by accident a while back.

So pick a thread (like this one) that you have posted to, notice the green arrow, hover on the arrow and see what it tells you.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 01-28-2022 at 03:07 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Cool! Thank you. 2219.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    A "Like" button would be a useful addition here!
    I don't know about that, as it becomes too Facebook for me personally. Too many people will be on the hunt for recognition and have their ego's stroked..... YMMV however..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    While ADVrider is indeed a one of a kind site, I often wish that the great parts of it would rub off on us here. I mean the ride reports are stellar, for the most part, and the technical know how on a variety of bikes and other things is second to none. That is what attracted me to ADV in the first place. I know that it is impossible to compare the MOA to ADV for a variety of reasons but perhaps the club can take some of the good part in consideration for this forum.
    I have heard some people say that we are a bit of a snooze fest here....

Yes, Jo Momma takes getting used too , but not all is bad there either. The sub basement of CSM however is another story.

Just my ramblings YMMV etc
    I prefer ADV, though that will probably end at some point. This place just doesn't have that kind of irreverence, which seems to only reinforce the perception that BMW riders are often pretty uptight and stodgy. Having an average member age in the late 50s probably doesn't help generate much irreverence.

Every place has its character, I reckon and not every place is for every person.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Lets not get too deep into comparisons between the MOA forum and ADV. The MOA forum is part the benefits package derived from members paying dues.
    ADV is a free platform, although as of late soliciting support, like FB. I always wonder how many would belong to FB..or would choose to be, if there was some sort of membership dues
    OM

Why not? Given that ADV has a lively forum and this place doesn't, isn't there something to learn from that if we want to help drive member involvement?

Competitive benchmarking is a thing if you want to attract and retain clients. Is this forum helping to ensure stickiness of members? Or do we have a churn problem?

As a former MOA President and user #2 here, I think I have the right to ask those questions - as should any member of the organization, don't you agree? When I was president I certainly felt I had an obligation to not only hear those questions and answer them, but to seek them out.

Is this not in line with what you think should happen here? If not, help me understand why not?

Thanks.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I hear that and I also can't believe I didn't say "and no small thanks to kbasa, who knows wtf he's doing." I must've clicked Submit Post too soon.
    And we needed Mr. Nye's efforts with the board. I think he was #3 and Scott Conary was like #4, but I'd have to go look.

On like March 22nd or so, this board will have been up and running for 20 years.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I take it you havent posted in the Word Association thread.
    Correct
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    Why not? Given that ADV has a lively forum and this place doesn't, isn't there something to learn from that if we want to help drive member involvement?

Competitive benchmarking is a thing if you want to attract and retain clients. Is this forum helping to ensure stickiness of members? Or do we have a churn problem?

As a former MOA President and user #2 here, I think I have the right to ask those questions - as should any member of the organization, don't you agree? When I was president I certainly felt I had an obligation to not only hear those questions and answer them, but to seek them out.

Is this not in line with what you think should happen here? If not, help me understand why not?

Thanks.
    Start a petition to make the forum free, like ADV, and you will see.

this concept is also predicated on the stopping of usage of other social platforms and putting the forum first.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Start a petition to make the forum free, like ADV, and you will see.

this concept is also predicated on the stopping of usage of other social platforms and putting the forum first.
    OM
    You might have missed my point.

Why is this place so low volume? Can we learn something from the ADV site that might deliver better member benefit and involvement? Are there lessons to be learned from their successes that we might use here?

I trust that you never worked in sales or product marketing or any kind of competitive analysis if that's your take on my comment.

And with regard to the tiny text you added, that's also incorrect. We can add features here or set a tone for conversation that encourages participation without forcing people to stop using other social media products or give it away.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

We can add features here or set a tone for conversation that encourages participation without forcing people to stop using other social media products or give it away.
    Forcing people to use one medium or channel will never work. People will use what is most convenient to them, and if we are not there, we lose.

And it will take more than features or a different tone to get more participating. I think it will take a different strategy, and again we can look to ADVrider for an example.

kbasa, you know more about this than me, but a couple of years ago, ADVrider added a new dimension to their site, which I will summarize as "well-produced interactive editorial" and a regular newsletter drawing the audience to the new stuff. (They also added a completely kick-ass printed magazine, but that's not part of my point).

I am pretty sure no one contributing to this part of the ADVrider site gets paid, but there does appear to be an egalitarian way of passing out what Flash (remember him?) called "schwag"... free stuff to review, press intro invites, event VIP passes... in return for busting out some decent editorial. A good deal of this also gets posted to the ADVrider YouTube channel.

The result has been a very cool mix of reporting on bikes, farkles, racing, destinations... it's very well subscribed. And then each report is actually a thread in which inmates can contribute and interact with each other. (we actually have this capability in our MMS... essentially a blog with comments... but no one ever posts).

If we were to achieve that here, we (as in the MOA) would have to adopt a far more open system of volunteering, along with a means for on-line collaboration, which are things I recommended at the 2019 Board meeting in TN.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    You might have missed my point.

Why is this place so low volume? Can we learn something from the ADV site that might deliver better member benefit and involvement? Are there lessons to be learned from their successes that we might use here?

I trust that you never worked in sales or product marketing or any kind of competitive analysis if that's your take on my comment.

And with regard to the tiny text you added, that's also incorrect. We can add features here or set a tone for conversation that encourages participation without forcing people to stop using other social media products or give it away.
    Quoted for posterity.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Also creating genuinely good content is hard. Just for reference, https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...MOA+Rally+2021

11 videos on YouTube featuring the Great Falls Rally with thousands of people attending. You need content to make a forum successful. I'm not proposing any changes to this one but I am saying that more of us need to go out and make ride reports and share photos and videos here. With content, the eyeballs will come and some eyeballs convert to contributors and the cycle continues.
    Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President

Quoted for posterity.
    OM
    Is there some kind of issue with that post I should be aware of?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA