• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nice machine…

motodan

Stopped by dealer in Fort Myers…think I like this green one (‘55) however, I could be talked into the white one (‘69)…

Attachments

• 06E99B2D-2903-4DCC-82A2-134AB48D1A73.jpg
    06E99B2D-2903-4DCC-82A2-134AB48D1A73.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 28DE0AE9-35ED-4FBF-B483-790EEC6EBF8D.jpg
    28DE0AE9-35ED-4FBF-B483-790EEC6EBF8D.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 161
Beautiful. I’d be too afraid to ride either of those but they’d be center-pieces in this man-cave I don’t own yet :p

Beautiful things, and I prefer both these colors to the black. The red is also very nice.

Right now I am working on a project involving the magneto and ignition timing on these bikes... what an elegant design solution they featured (not that electronic systems aren't way better!)

Ian

They both appear to be later models in the 1960s. They have the ridged hand levers...the earlier ones they were flat blades. The white one is a "US" model with the precursor front forks to the /5. Those forks appeared in the 1967 models. Other things suggest late /2 models.

The wiring on these bikes is usually a bare end wire reinforced with solder and then placed into a terminal with hole and secured by a screw. Hardly any (if any) connectors as we are familiar with these days.

At least its not biodegradable wiring.

Transition years

One is a 1955 R 50 in Police Green, 99% correct parts for the first year. There's a 1965 R 69S in Bristol Grey last of the flat blade levers and Sheriff letter tank badges. The Turf Green is a late 1969 R 69S with a 12 volt conversion, correct battery box and kick start lever. The Dover White bike is a 1969 R 60US restored for the second time 20 years ago and regularly ridden until a few years ago.

I have a few other /2 rarities in my shop, two are restorations and the third is a refreshing project. I recently adopted R 50/2 in a very rare Dark Gray paint, it is to nice to restore but really needed to serviced and cleaned properly. I'm also kicking the dust off a long term project I call the 505. Its a '68 R 60US that is an original paint Granada Red bike but had serious issues when it appeared on my door step. I pretty much got a pile of spare parts, no motor or other drive train parts. I found the original engine block (empty) and have almost completed the quest for all the missing parts.

Thank You for all the compliments, a special thanks to Ed and Jeff at Gulf Coast Motorcycles in Fort Myers for encouraging me to share a part of my collection with people who appreciate the history.

Back