• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New National Park Military Pass

exgman

I just read about this on a post by Harry C. in the New Sweden BMW Riders forum:

The President has just signed authorization for a new America the Beautiful Military Pass.
Any veteran qualifies for this pass that will save you a lot of money if you're visiting our National Parks or one of the other federal recreational facilities.
The entrance fees to our National Parks have skyrocketed in the last few years. The Senior Pass used to be $10 and is now $80 (and still a good deal).
There is a $10 fee for this pass and it's a really great deal.
The Forest service and Corp of Engineer campsites are a great deal out West and range from similar to a commercial Campground to way out there.
Check it out: https://store.usgs.gov/faq#Military-Pass

Here's how it will look:

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 7.06.55 PM.png

Looking at the rules, it seems that a DD-214 is not usable for certifying military service. However, a veteran's designation on a state driver's license is.

Wow. I do have my $10 Senior Pass but if I lose it, or it gets mutilated like my prior one did, I now have two choices: $80 for a new Senior Pass or $10 for the Military Pass. Interesting!

FYI, the senior pass is available when you hit 62. And it is a good deal, even at $80.

During the Great Falls rally the wife and I rode out to the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center with another couple and I was surprised to learn my pass not only got my wife and I in, but the other couple as well as it is good for 4 people. Very cool.

FYI, the senior pass is available when you hit 62. And it is a good deal, even at $80.

During the Great Falls rally the wife and I rode out to the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center with another couple and I was surprised to learn my pass not only got my wife and I in, but the other couple as well as it is good for 4 people. Very cool.

I didn't know we could get by with one pass. I knew in a car we could both get in with one pass but thought we would each need a pass when on the bikes.

I didn't know we could get by with one pass. I knew in a car we could both get in with one pass but thought we would each need a pass when on the bikes.

You are correct with what you said when entering by vehicle.

The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center is a venue you walk into after parking the bikes.

From the back of my card:

"Valid at Federal recreation entrance or standard amenity fee sites for pass holder and occupants of a single, private non-commercial vehicle OR one motorcycle OR pass holder and three persons (16 and older) where per person fees are charged."

Pass is good for this year. Waiting to get the veterans pass in 2023 it will be a lifetime pass. I'm going to wait, as I have my seniors pass.

If you're worried about losing the pass, take a picture of it and leave it on your phone. I've got a "documents" folder on mine with any and all documents I may need to show like VA card, D/L, park pass, current insurance policy, registration, etc.

Last year when my brother and I entered natl parks, they asked if we were vets and were allowed to get in for free, no verification needed. When leaving Devils Tower [ that's when you pay, not going in ], I told the attendant I had to get off the motor to produce the pass. He asked if we were vets and just waived us through with no delaying the rather long line behind us trying to get out.

The USPS brought my new National Park/Recreational Lands Pass today. Also enclosed in the envelope was a "hang-tag." That latter piece is probably of not much use except on an enclosed/lockable vehicle. I paid the $10, but it's clear that it would have been free (no postage and handling) at a National Park or other suitable location. Looks like it took about two weeks for processing and my receipt of it.

Here's a photo:

IMG_3610.JPG

Back