• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding position difference of K1600 GT Vs GTL

rjmninja3

I am a new member to the community. I currently ride a 2021 R1250RT which was my first BMW motorcycle. I just placed an order for a 2022 K1600GTL and wondering if I would be happier with K1600GT. As one might expect, there was not a current model available for a test ride at the dealer. Only a 2015 GTL. Trying to understand how different the seating position is between both models. Will it impact how aggressively one can ride the bike? Thoughts?

I've no personal experience with either model, but this site might help: http://cycle-ergo.com/

It shows you how you might fit a particular bike. Lots of options for your measurements and preferences. Add multiple bikes and you can compare riding positions. Use a mouse with a scroll wheel to overlay one on top of another. Here is a GT overlaid on a GTL:
ergo.png

I think the GTL is limited to 140 mph, possibly because of the top box. Differences in "aggressiveness" between the two models in the real world is probably zero, that's affected more by rider intent and ability, and probably could be measured only on a race track. There are many better bikes for the track.

Very helpful! It looks like the seat height may make all the difference for me. It is a heavy bike, so being able to come to a stop flat-footed is a major selling point. Thanks for the assist.

GTL has a more upright seating position than the GT. GT is a more lean into. The bars are different. The GTL bar pull back to the rider. Foot pegs are different to. Performance wise it’s a wash.

Just my 2 cents, when I was shopping between various editions of 6-Cyls in the Metro DC area circa 2018:

I found myself lower in the bucket of the GTL, and generally lower overall. I traded up from a tallish F800GS, so I wanted the extra leg room and ground clearance! My inseam is 32" at 6' tall. I found the GT a little sportier and offering just a little more room behind my knees. I've since added Ilium works Highway Pegs, which help a lot for X-country LDRs: https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=27-100BL&pID=80

Additionally, I use a big Dry Bag as my strap-on top case when touring. That's what works pour moi - we did >20K in 2021...

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —&— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
:bliss :brow :thumb

Speaking of highway pegs

I noticed the GTL that I test rode had highway mini-floorboards that seem to cover the engine guards. I found that setup very comfortable. Unfortunately, when I went on-line looking for them to purchase, I did not find any retailer that was offering them. Does anyone know where they can be purchased for a 2022 GTL? I would love to have that setup on the new bike.

These are 2 different motorcycles, GT-GTL, from a rider's perspective. The ergonomic triangle, handlebars, seat, and foot peg positions are what sets these 2 bikes apart. I prefer the slightly aggressive riding position of the GT. BTW, I've owned a '12 GT for almost 10 years, 98,000+ miles. If you gave me a new GTL I'd sell it. And I know GTL owners that would say the same thing about their bikes... The GTL's rider's triangle is very similar to the RT. If you like the RT you'll love the GTL...

Duane

I noticed the GTL that I test rode had highway mini-floorboards that seem to cover the engine guards. I found that setup very comfortable. Unfortunately, when I went on-line looking for them to purchase, I did not find any retailer that was offering them. Does anyone know where they can be purchased for a 2022 GTL? I would love to have that setup on the new bike.

I just bought a 2016 K1600GTL Exclusive, and I ordered these mini floor board for my bike.
I also ordered the highway pegs and the heel toe shifter. I'll create a new post when all is installed and broken in.

https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=26-200BL&pID=91

Back