• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

what ratio is correct for the drive shaft out put

brant914

bmw.pngbmw2.png

so the output splined receiver needs to be replaced.
my bike is a 1971 R75/5

I went onto the parts diagrams... and see they sell 2 different ratio's
they call it the "clutch bell housing" part number 6

which ratio is correct for my bike?

thanks in advance.... looks like there is one at 1.6, the other at 1.7 with different part numbers

brant

Not sure what the 1.6 and 1.7 means...I forgot what the "Supp" column is for. But you want the shaft number that ends in 972. Your bike is a short wheel base and was used up to some point in 1973. Notice on that one the end date of 19730200, suggesting used up to February 1973.

I'll have to think about the clutch bell housing. Maybe since the shaft number for the SWB bike is Supp = 1.7, you want the bell housing for 1.7?

I think I can reuse my actual shaft
and just replace the #6 cup.... (bell housing)

so the 1.7 because it matches the shaft (for swb) which is also a 1.7 ?

thank you again Kurt...

I'm not really sure. I think "Supp" refers to a supplement of some sort...when they had parts listings on fiche or something called the Snabb catalog and the supplement referred you to a companion booklet. If you were to order the part from say, MaxBMW, they might have a knowledgeable enough parts person to figure it out. Certainly a Mr. Tom Cutter or Anton Largiader might be able to figure out what you need as well.

Update: Didn't find out what "Supp" refers to but found this on Snowbum's website which helps explain other entries:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/partsymbols.htm

Back