• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Toll roads and bikes

The technology certainly exists to require insurance companies to maintain a central registry of the vehicles they currently insure, and have that information available to LEOs in the field.

Unless it has change since I retired, Texas LEOs are able to pull up that information on the lap tops in their cruisers. However, they realize the information is not always correct so they ask for current "proof of insurance" which is required of all Texas motorists.

E.

Last edited:
The technology certainly exists to require insurance companies to maintain a central registry of the vehicles they currently insure, and have that information available to LEOs in the field.

I have not doubt. Actually, all they have to do is call the 800# on the insurance card to verify current coverage, but that is apparently not their job.

Some states require insurance companies to notify the state DMV whenever a policy is cancelled. That was true of Kansas when we lived there. I once asked a DMV person here in Texas about that and was told that requiring that would be too big a burden on insurance companies. Oh sure!!

Some states require insurance companies to notify the state DMV whenever a policy is cancelled. That was true of Kansas when we lived there. I once asked a DMV person here in Texas about that and was told that requiring that would be too big a burden on insurance companies. Oh sure!!

I think that Idaho has the same concern for insurance companies as does Texas.

Well here in Montana the problem of uninsured motorcycles is solved by not requiring motorcycles to be insured in any way. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Back