• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Laser light?

Does anyone know anything about Laser Light, as far as it relates to availability on current or future Beemers?

On the BMW Motorrad website, there is a reference to Laser Light. I gather this is similar to the Laser Light that is available as an option in four-wheel Bimmers.

Scroll down on this page to see a small bit of information on it:

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/engineering/innovation-overview/innovation.html

I also found a few press releases and such from a few years ago.

Interesting topic, but the use of the word "laser" would seem to be puffing on BMW's part.

Some lights may be brighter than others, but federal regs are very specific regarding the brightness of foglamps, or headlamps.

Don't read the below regs unless you need several sleeping pills. :)

Go to: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xmlThen skip to: S5.5.11

Some auto makers are getting away from fog lamps altogether. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/automobiles/wheels/why-fog-lamps-are-starting-to-disappear.html

There are even some interesting aftermarket products available, but whatever you get make sure it is DOT approved.

E.

Last edited:
You misunderstand. "Laserlight" is a thing from BMW and several other automobile manufacturers. In the case of BMW, it uses blue lasers beamed through mirrors and off of a yellow phosphorous reflector to create an effective white high beam light. It projects well, and uses less energy than HIDs or LEDs.

More information:

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/dr-hanafi-and-the-bmw-laserlight.html

You can order it as an option on many four-wheel BMWs. It may even be standard on one or more models (not sure).

My question is if anyone knows if this technology has been incorporated into any BMW motorcycles yet, or if anyone knows if/when it will be.

As far as service life and other need for potential replacement, can we assume it is more durable and less expensive to replace as well?

As far as service life and other need for potential replacement, can we assume it is more durable and less expensive to replace as well?

Never assume a new feature on a BMW is less expensive. We are already in the realm of $2,000 headlights and $2,500 brake modules.

I wish somebody had the time and computer wherewithal to add up the total prices of all parts needed to build a BMW motorcycle. I suspect that total would exceed $100,000.

And

Too bad this new technology comes at a time in my life when frankly I do not ride at night nor do I particularly like to drive at night. I give auto and bike companies positive credit for the improvements in lighting over the past decade or so. As BMW may be a technology leader, they have priced themselves far out of my pocket for cars due to the cost and maintenance. Meanwhile it will be interested to see just how this system works out in the long run and if any other companies come out with similar systems at a more reasonable cost and reliability. St.

You misunderstand. "Laserlight" is a thing from BMW and several other automobile manufacturers. In the case of BMW, it uses blue lasers beamed through mirrors and off of a yellow phosphorous reflector to create an effective white high beam light. It projects well, and uses less energy than HIDs or LEDs.

More information:

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/dr-hanafi-and-the-bmw-laserlight.html

You can order it as an option on many four-wheel BMWs. It may even be standard on one or more models (not sure).

My question is if anyone knows if this technology has been incorporated into any BMW motorcycles yet, or if anyone knows if/when it will be.

Although I'm not aware of BMW's specific research, I understand all too well when BMW is trying to reach into my wallet. Perhaps, I should have given you the short answer. Save your money. We may all need it for the new internet repair site. :)

E.

Does anyone know anything about Laser Light, as far as it relates to availability on current or future Beemers?

On the BMW Motorrad website, there is a reference to Laser Light. I gather this is similar to the Laser Light that is available as an option in four-wheel Bimmers.

Scroll down on this page to see a small bit of information on it:

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/engineering/innovation-overview/innovation.html

I also found a few press releases and such from a few years ago.

From 2016:
"BMW says that laser headlight technology is still too expensive to bring to a production motorcycle model, though we would imagine it will be sooner rather than later when we’ll see this technology progress further "

"BMW made no declarations as to when the Laser Light technology can be expected to reach series production stage for motorcycles."

Searching the parts fiche indicates that 2021/2022 K1600 and R1250RT's have the adaptive LED headlight as the fanciest option - "the new LED headlight that follows the road according to the banking angle"

Aliexpress has some aftermarket

Looks like we are stuck with LED for the time being... How long before we have laser-based aux lights?

Interesting topic, but the use of the word "laser" would seem to be puffing on BMW's part.
It’s one of the marketing buzzwords making the rounds—check the marketing on some flashlights now. The automotive technology certainly exists, but…

Never assume a new feature on a BMW is less expensive. We are already in the realm of $2,000 headlights and $2,500 brake modules.

I wish somebody had the time and computer wherewithal to add up the total prices of all parts needed to build a BMW motorcycle. I suspect that total would exceed $100,000.

Yeah, somewhere in there cost/benefit analysis has to step in. I’d sooner see research into cutting weight and adding torque without increasing hp and displacement.

Remember, todays crop of young up and-coming engineers grew up in the Dr. Evil timeframe…
:)

I doubt it. Considering that in the automobile implementation, Laserlight augments, rather than replaces, the adaptive LED headlights, it's probably not less expensive. Durable I can't speak to.

Re prices, they have come down on the automotive side of things. When it was first introduced about eight years ago, on the i8, the option was something like $11,000. More recently, it's either part of a package, or even standard on certain models. Not necessarily cheap, but way less than before.

Over the years, I have logged thousands of miles at night, for various reasons. I would be glad to have improved light. I haven't tried a bike equipped with adaptive LED lights yet. I look forward to it.

I don't need lasers, unless they can blast slowpokes out of the fast lane.

Give me LEDs like this, with suitable adaptations for leaning in a curve.

Easily $100k. Standard parts mark up is 7 times the unit cost and often more. That helps explain the $28.00 price for a water pump gasket for my K1200. :banghead

I don't need lasers, unless they can blast slowpokes out of the fast lane.

Give me LEDs like this, with suitable adaptations for leaning in a curve.

My understanding is that many BMW motorcycles *are* equipped thusly.

Laserlights in cars augment this.

A video:

It discusses the theoretical aspects of the lights.

Since I apparently cannot embed more than one video per message, here's a second message with a second video.

This (amateur, I assume) video gives a practical demonstration of the Laserlight in practice, in tandem with adaptive LED lighting.

I would love to have that combination of Laserlight and adaptive LED lighting. In fact, my next car will probably be so equipped, if I get another BMW; or I'll specify the equivalent feature if from another manufacturer.

If I buy a new BMW motorcycle, I'll definitely get the Adaptive LED lighting (unless I get a G310).

I gather, then, that Laserlight is not yet available on BMW motorcycles, and there has not yet been any announcement about them, despite the teaser on the BMW website and a few articles from several years ago.

Some years ago Max BMW built a "brand new" 76 R90S from (mostly) currently available parts. I think their website said that the parts cost was $46K.

I guess nobody here has any info. I'll ask next time I visit the local dealership. Maybe they'll know something.

Back