Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Laser light?

  1. #1

    Laser light?

    Does anyone know anything about Laser Light, as far as it relates to availability on current or future Beemers?

    On the BMW Motorrad website, there is a reference to Laser Light. I gather this is similar to the Laser Light that is available as an option in four-wheel Bimmers.

    Scroll down on this page to see a small bit of information on it:

    https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/en...nnovation.html

    I also found a few press releases and such from a few years ago.
    Current bikes: '07 F650GS, '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6
    Previous bikes: '06 F650GS (totaled, RIP), '94 R1100RS (sold)

  2. #2
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,353
    Interesting topic, but the use of the word "laser" would seem to be puffing on BMW's part.

    Some lights may be brighter than others, but federal regs are very specific regarding the brightness of foglamps, or headlamps.

    Don't read the below regs unless you need several sleeping pills.

    Go to: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xmlThen skip to: S5.5.11

    Some auto makers are getting away from fog lamps altogether. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/a...disappear.html

    There are even some interesting aftermarket products available, but whatever you get make sure it is DOT approved.

    E.
    Last edited by easy; 01-15-2022 at 04:46 PM.

  3. #3
    You misunderstand. "Laserlight" is a thing from BMW and several other automobile manufacturers. In the case of BMW, it uses blue lasers beamed through mirrors and off of a yellow phosphorous reflector to create an effective white high beam light. It projects well, and uses less energy than HIDs or LEDs.

    More information:

    https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/dr...aserlight.html

    You can order it as an option on many four-wheel BMWs. It may even be standard on one or more models (not sure).

    My question is if anyone knows if this technology has been incorporated into any BMW motorcycles yet, or if anyone knows if/when it will be.
    Current bikes: '07 F650GS, '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6
    Previous bikes: '06 F650GS (totaled, RIP), '94 R1100RS (sold)

  4. #4
    As far as service life and other need for potential replacement, can we assume it is more durable and less expensive to replace as well?
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

  5. #5
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    21,962
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    As far as service life and other need for potential replacement, can we assume it is more durable and less expensive to replace as well?
    Never assume a new feature on a BMW is less expensive. We are already in the realm of $2,000 headlights and $2,500 brake modules.

    I wish somebody had the time and computer wherewithal to add up the total prices of all parts needed to build a BMW motorcycle. I suspect that total would exceed $100,000.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    Registered User STEVENRANKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spencerport, NY
    Posts
    1,274

    And

    Too bad this new technology comes at a time in my life when frankly I do not ride at night nor do I particularly like to drive at night. I give auto and bike companies positive credit for the improvements in lighting over the past decade or so. As BMW may be a technology leader, they have priced themselves far out of my pocket for cars due to the cost and maintenance. Meanwhile it will be interested to see just how this system works out in the long run and if any other companies come out with similar systems at a more reasonable cost and reliability. St.

  7. #7
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by 66789 View Post
    You misunderstand. "Laserlight" is a thing from BMW and several other automobile manufacturers. In the case of BMW, it uses blue lasers beamed through mirrors and off of a yellow phosphorous reflector to create an effective white high beam light. It projects well, and uses less energy than HIDs or LEDs.

    More information:

    https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/dr...aserlight.html

    You can order it as an option on many four-wheel BMWs. It may even be standard on one or more models (not sure).

    My question is if anyone knows if this technology has been incorporated into any BMW motorcycles yet, or if anyone knows if/when it will be.
    Although I'm not aware of BMW's specific research, I understand all too well when BMW is trying to reach into my wallet. Perhaps, I should have given you the short answer. Save your money. We may all need it for the new internet repair site.

    E.

  8. #8
    Registered User drneo66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by 66789 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Laser Light, as far as it relates to availability on current or future Beemers?

    On the BMW Motorrad website, there is a reference to Laser Light. I gather this is similar to the Laser Light that is available as an option in four-wheel Bimmers.

    Scroll down on this page to see a small bit of information on it:

    https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/en...nnovation.html

    I also found a few press releases and such from a few years ago.
    From 2016:
    "BMW says that laser headlight technology is still too expensive to bring to a production motorcycle model, though we would imagine it will be sooner rather than later when we’ll see this technology progress further "

    "BMW made no declarations as to when the Laser Light technology can be expected to reach series production stage for motorcycles."


    Searching the parts fiche indicates that 2021/2022 K1600 and R1250RT's have the adaptive LED headlight as the fanciest option - "the new LED headlight that follows the road according to the banking angle"

    Aliexpress has some aftermarket

    Looks like we are stuck with LED for the time being... How long before we have laser-based aux lights?
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

  9. #9
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Interesting topic, but the use of the word "laser" would seem to be puffing on BMW's part.
    It’s one of the marketing buzzwords making the rounds—check the marketing on some flashlights now. The automotive technology certainly exists, but…

    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Never assume a new feature on a BMW is less expensive. We are already in the realm of $2,000 headlights and $2,500 brake modules.

    I wish somebody had the time and computer wherewithal to add up the total prices of all parts needed to build a BMW motorcycle. I suspect that total would exceed $100,000.
    Yeah, somewhere in there cost/benefit analysis has to step in. I’d sooner see research into cutting weight and adding torque without increasing hp and displacement.

    Remember, todays crop of young up and-coming engineers grew up in the Dr. Evil timeframe…


    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    As far as service life and other need for potential replacement, can we assume it is more durable and less expensive to replace as well?
    I doubt it. Considering that in the automobile implementation, Laserlight augments, rather than replaces, the adaptive LED headlights, it's probably not less expensive. Durable I can't speak to.

    Re prices, they have come down on the automotive side of things. When it was first introduced about eight years ago, on the i8, the option was something like $11,000. More recently, it's either part of a package, or even standard on certain models. Not necessarily cheap, but way less than before.

    Over the years, I have logged thousands of miles at night, for various reasons. I would be glad to have improved light. I haven't tried a bike equipped with adaptive LED lights yet. I look forward to it.
    Current bikes: '07 F650GS, '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6
    Previous bikes: '06 F650GS (totaled, RIP), '94 R1100RS (sold)

  11. #11
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,938
    I don't need lasers, unless they can blast slowpokes out of the fast lane.

    Give me LEDs like this, with suitable adaptations for leaning in a curve.

    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  12. #12
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,554
    And this whole lightbulb thing started here-



    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  13. #13
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    4,385
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I wish somebody had the time and computer wherewithal to add up the total prices of all parts needed to build a BMW motorcycle. I suspect that total would exceed $100,000.
    Easily $100k. Standard parts mark up is 7 times the unit cost and often more. That helps explain the $28.00 price for a water pump gasket for my K1200.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I don't need lasers, unless they can blast slowpokes out of the fast lane.

    Give me LEDs like this, with suitable adaptations for leaning in a curve.
    My understanding is that many BMW motorcycles *are* equipped thusly.

    Laserlights in cars augment this.

    A video:




    It discusses the theoretical aspects of the lights.
    Current bikes: '07 F650GS, '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6
    Previous bikes: '06 F650GS (totaled, RIP), '94 R1100RS (sold)

  15. #15
    Since I apparently cannot embed more than one video per message, here's a second message with a second video.




    This (amateur, I assume) video gives a practical demonstration of the Laserlight in practice, in tandem with adaptive LED lighting.

    I would love to have that combination of Laserlight and adaptive LED lighting. In fact, my next car will probably be so equipped, if I get another BMW; or I'll specify the equivalent feature if from another manufacturer.

    If I buy a new BMW motorcycle, I'll definitely get the Adaptive LED lighting (unless I get a G310).

    I gather, then, that Laserlight is not yet available on BMW motorcycles, and there has not yet been any announcement about them, despite the teaser on the BMW website and a few articles from several years ago.
    Current bikes: '07 F650GS, '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6
    Previous bikes: '06 F650GS (totaled, RIP), '94 R1100RS (sold)

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Laser Exhaust on 1150RT
    By brrider in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 08:15 PM
  2. Laser Muffler For Sale`
    By sfzendog in forum Gear
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 11:39 PM
  3. Laser Exhaust?
    By ArticPrep in forum Airheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 02:34 AM
  4. Laser exhaust on r1100rt
    By boxercup2004 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •