• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150R turns over but won’t catch

jsteve

‘04 1150R - about to leave for a lunch ride, turned over and caught, then stalled it coming out of the garage. Could not get it restarted. Recently, it had been doing this and I thought I had it fixed. Had recently had the battery disconnected and remembered to reset the TPS (key on, 2 full twists of the throttle, key off).

I hear the fuel pump come on at key on.
The starter never fails to turn the engine over
About halfway through the fuel tank

Got it started one day last weekend and performed fine. I don’t know if a HES fails intermittently or what the symptoms are.

I’m open to suggestions.

-disappointed and hungry!

It's been said already but I'll elaborate: check the five FACTS.

Fuel, Air, Compression, Timing, Spark.

The Hall sensor is part of three of those, as it controls fuel pump action and spark during engine rotation and is timed to the crankshaft. There are other threads on the full procedure but in short, you can check for Hall sensor function by putting the bike on the center stand in 5th gear with the ignition and killswitch on and rotating the rear wheel forward several full rotations (or you can put a wrench on the timing pulley at the front of the engine and turn it in the direction of engine rotation several times) and listening for the fuel pump. You then check for spark in the usual way. I prefer an inline spark tester myself. Failure of either fuel pump noise or spark could be a Hall sensor wiring failure, but other things could be causing this too.

Thanks folks…

I hope to get working on this tomorrow. Got bogged down in a plumbing install today.

I've had a similar issue in the past with my old K. The problem was resolved with a new battery.

You may have a different issue.

Finally spent some time this afternoon. No spark at left cylinder. Swapped plug to right side and spark is fine. Swapped left insulator (the part of the wire in the head) to the right side- fail! Right insulator has spark on left side.

New set of wires ordered.

Finally spent some time this afternoon. No spark at left cylinder. Swapped plug to right side and spark is fine. Swapped left insulator (the part of the wire in the head) to the right side- fail! Right insulator has spark on left side.

New set of wires ordered.

Good work!

Certainly that term "insulator" is a misnomer... maybe the fragile little plastic connection between the stick and the three little wires should be checked too...

Back