• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing BMW Frame Guards

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
OK, this pisses me off a bit. I purchased the BMW frame guards for my R1200 GS. They came in a retail package, yet there's no instructions. It says you can download them, but it doesn't really say where. They do indicate that one could consult the repair DVD, but those are no longer available for purchase. While it looks pretty self-explanatory, I'm wondering if anyone has installed these. If so, is there anything special I should be concerned with.

What are the frame guards I'm talking about, the cover the frame near the foot pegs. click on the line for an image.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/oem-parts/bmw-motorrad-kit-frame-guard-77032465254

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Adam. It should be noted that the installer in the above video did not install the rubber bands properly. Per BMW's instructions, the rubber bands on the frame guard can be opened through boot contact; as such, the rubber band locks should be turned away from the contact area.

On a side note, I don't understand why you'd want to use double-sided tape to adhere them along with the straps. I would think you'd want to be able to R&R during service intervals. You'd have to apply new double-sided tape every time the guards are R&R. Just my $0.02.

Thanks Adam. It should be noted that the installer in the above video did not install the rubber bands properly. Per BMW's instructions, the rubber bands on the frame guard can be opened through boot contact; as such, the rubber band locks should be turned away from the contact area.

On a side note, I don't understand why you'd want to use double-sided tape to adhere them along with the straps. I would think you'd want to be able to R&R during service intervals. You'd have to apply new double-sided tape every time the guards are R&R. Just my $0.02.

So you're saying people should read the manual? LOL

I would venture that the double sided tape is to prevent the plastic guards from rubbing and shifting and ultimately chafing the paint on the frame.

Back