Thread: 2014 R1200RT LW / Wire harness replacement question

2014 R1200RT LW / Wire harness replacement question

Looking for a 2nd opinion. My dealer says my rear shock relay is not receiving efficient power so there is a short in my wire harness and it has to be replaced?
    The shock seems to be working fine. My GS911 reads a fault "rear shock is not raising all the way". If the wire harness is damaged wouldn't other components be acting up. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by krautking007 View Post
    Looking for a 2nd opinion. My dealer says my rear shock relay is not receiving efficient power so there is a short in my wire harness and it has to be replaced?
    The shock seems to be working fine. My GS911 reads a fault "rear shock is not raising all the way". If the wire harness is damaged wouldn't other components be acting up. Thank You.
    What has your experience with this dealer (technicians) been? Do you have a reason not to trust them?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

If it actually had a SHORT, the unit would receive NO power. And if there is a short, it should be repaired, not replace the whole [silly] harness...

Did you speak with the Service Manager or the technician? Service managers sometimes garble what the tech said; some techs are "parts replacers" and may lack the time and/or skills to troubleshoot.

I'm not familiar with the shock setup and controls, but it might be that this "relay" is faulty and pulling too much current, causing the reading of voltage to be lower than nominal. Pull the wire off the relay and see if the voltage rises back to where it should be.

They did say the relay at the shock end was reading too low. I'll have a chat with the service tech. Friday Thank you

Update / Shock is fine
    Last edited by krautking007; 01-23-2022 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Updating