• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adaptive Cruse Control

I'm only guessing here.
In a car without adaptive cruise when you slow down by letting up on the throttle the brake lights do not come on.
The same should be the same for adaptive cruise.
If someone suddenly cuts in front of you and adaptive cruise applies the brakes, then the brake light will come on.

Last edited:
...In a car when you slow down by letting up on the throttle the brake lights do not come on.

Not true on my 2014 Audi with traditional cruise control. Brakes lights come on when restricting speed to set speed, as when coasting too fast downhill.

Cap

Not true on my 2014 Audi with traditional cruise control. Brakes lights come on when restricting speed to set speed, as when coasting too fast downhill.

Cap

I edited my post to say a car without adaptive cruise.
It's hilly where I live and I don't think I would like following a car or bike with brake lights coming on with downhills.

Cap

Are you saying your car brake lights come on every time it slows, or just the times when brakes are needed to slow the car?

Our Mazda's brake lights come on when slowing with adaptive cruise on; brakes or no brakes. When driving normally brake lights do not come on when letting off of the gas.

When following my wife I asked her why she was riding her brakes. She said she hasn't touched the brakes and was using ACC.

When seeing newer cars with brake lights on all the time I wonder if there are using ACC.

Most likely they are just bad drivers[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Our Mazda's brake lights come on when slowing with adaptive cruise on; brakes or no brakes. When driving normally brake lights do not come on when letting off of the gas.

When following my wife I asked her why she was riding her brakes. She said she hasn't touched the brakes and was using ACC.

When seeing newer cars with brake lights on all the time I wonder if there are using ACC.

Most likely they are just bad drivers[emoji23]

It will be interesting to hear if the BMW bikes with adaptive cruise work the same way.

On BMW bikes can you turn off the Adaptive feature?

Interested to hear the definite answer

I would have to believe that the engineers would activate the brake lights knowing the bike is slowing regardless of the why when active cruise is engaged.

I know that the clearwater Billie brake light can be set to activate based on the accelerometer regardless of actual brake activation.

I would have to believe that the engineers would activate the brake lights knowing the bike is slowing regardless of the why when active cruise is engaged.

I know that the clearwater Billie brake light can be set to activate based on the accelerometer regardless of actual brake activation.
I have that set on my skene lights!

Are you saying your car brake lights come on every time it slows, or just the times when brakes are needed to slow the car?

This is one of those things that you can't see yourself, typically, because you are driving and you can't see your own taillights. I discovered this when I was driving at night in light snow on a highway in Wyoming. The speed limit was 70 mph, and the road was clear and mostly dry. There was blowing snow. I was using the conventional cruise control on my wife's Audi Q5. As I was going down hill on a long stretch, I noticed a periodic red reflection in my rear view mirror. The car was applying its brakes to keep my speed approximately at the desired speed. And I realized that the cruise control was applying brakes because even with the throttle closed completely, the car was picking up too much speed downhill.

Kind of cool, and I wouldn't have noticed if the conditions hadn't have been perfect for me to see the reflection of brake lights in the snow. I usually turn the cruise off when conditions get slippery, but this time I had dry roads and very light snow. I think that old Audi might have been unusual in this regard, although maybe newer cars of other brands will do this too.

Cap

I don't know much about these things, and my experience might only be with "regular" cruise controls. When I had cruise control in a car, I seem to remember that if I was going faster than the set limit as in downhill, the system would downshift to a lower gear or with a CVT-type transmission, it might just change the revs to account for the added speed. I don't think the brake lights would show then. But then that's probably not "Adaptive Cruise Control"??

This is one of those things that you can't see yourself, typically, because you are driving and you can't see your own taillights. I discovered this when I was driving at night in light snow on a highway in Wyoming. The speed limit was 70 mph, and the road was clear and mostly dry. There was blowing snow. I was using the conventional cruise control on my wife's Audi Q5. As I was going down hill on a long stretch, I noticed a periodic red reflection in my rear view mirror. The car was applying its brakes to keep my speed approximately at the desired speed. And I realized that the cruise control was applying brakes because even with the throttle closed completely, the car was picking up too much speed downhill.

Kind of cool, and I wouldn't have noticed if the conditions hadn't have been perfect for me to see the reflection of brake lights in the snow. I usually turn the cruise off when conditions get slippery, but this time I had dry roads and very light snow. I think that old Audi might have been unusual in this regard, although maybe newer cars of other brands will do this too.

Cap

My Mercedes do this as well.

I'd think it now a "German standard" and we will see it on BMW bikes.

I installed Admore Light Bars on both of our G310s. Out of the box the unit decelerometers would activate the brake lights on the light bars when ever we rolled off the throttles and began to slow down. This was horribly distracting to anybody following on the hilly and curvy roads here in the Texas Big Bend.

However, the light bars are programmable for several functions so I disabled the decelerometer function. Now the light bar flashes red three times and then goes steady when the brakes are applied but not when just decelerating. We like this a whole lot better.

Last edited:
My Mercedes do this as well.

Lexus has had this feature since is 2007. Personally, I don't like it.

Due to the complexities and dynamics of riding a bike, I highly doubt that motorcycles will go the automatic braking to maintain a preset speed route. Imagine, if you will, having engaged cruise control on your bike. You're cruising along at 120 km/h enjoying the scenery. Just as you remove a hand to stretch your arm, look around at your riding buddy or wipe a bug from your faceshield your bike applies the brakes. With one hand on the bar and inertia carrying your body forward, you unintentionally countersteer yourself into the ditch or oncoming traffic.

For these reasons, I'm also not a fan of adaptive cruise control. If you run into a car because you're not paying attention, that's on you.

I like ACC on my RT. To me its another safety layer. I was also curious about the brake lights coming on and my daughter who was following me said they did when I set up a situation where I knew the ACC would slow down the car with some level of rapidity. In other “more routine” situations where the difference was not that great and it occurred less aggressively they did not. It suggests there is an algorithm as to their activation.

I installed Admore Light Bars on both of our G310s. Out of the box the unit decelerometers would activate the brake lights on the light bars when ever we rolled off the throttles and began to slow down. This was horribly distracting on the hilly and curvy roads here in the Texas Big Bend.

However, the light bars are programmable for several functions so I disabled the decelerometer function. Now the light bar flashes red three times and then goes steady when the brakes are applied but not when just decelerating. We like this a whole lot better.

Our Clearwater brake lights can be programed the same way. Debbie likes to follow and when we first got the lights I asked Debbie if she wanted my bike brake light to come on when I use engine braking and she said NO.
She only wanted to see my brake light when I use the brakes.

I know in my 2017 Subaru with ACC the brake lights only come on when the brakes are activated, either by me or the ACC. ACC first tries to slow the car by letting off on the gas and/or "downshifting", if it needs to slow rapidly it will apply the brakes (and the brake lights will come on). On the Subaru, there is an icon of the rear of the car in the dash that shows when the brake lights are illuminated.

Our Clearwater brake lights can be programed the same way. Debbie likes to follow and when we first got the lights I asked Debbie if she wanted my bike brake light to come on when I use engine braking and she said NO.
I have mine set to come on even when engine braking. One can slow pretty quickly with engine braking.

I should say when slowing quickly with the engine. The skene lighting has different sensitivity levels.

Voni said the same thing. Can you imagine the light show when you are riding the Hill Country or the Ozarks?

Back