• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 R1200RT upper fork bridge bearing water damage

ken e

Ken
Pried off the Roundel badge on the upper fork bridge and found water damage.
The culprit seems to be the plastic O-ring holder/plug that the roundel is adhered to has a vent molded in and is pointing UP letting rain and wash water straight into the cavity. Why did they do that???
I cleaned every thing up, re-greased bearing and positioned the vent DOWN.
Also drilled a small drain hole thru the fork bridge just above the bearing retaining ring that is angled down and back.
Current millage is 114k and all is good now.

Attachments

• fork bridge bearing (2).jpg
    fork bridge bearing (2).jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 164
  • fork bridge cap vent down (2).jpg
    fork bridge cap vent down (2).jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 169
Thanks for posting this...

Checked for this condition on my '12 RT with 85K and found the same, though not quite as bad as what you pictured. I removed the snap ring and cleaned things up. Packed the area with grease and reinstalled the roundel with clear sealer around the circumference where it mates to the plastic base. Will check it annually going forward.

seeing this thread made me go check my 2013RT with 28k miles. It hasn't seen a lot of rain, is always stored in an attached garage, and I'm in Ohio so it's only been near sea air for maybe a week total while on trips. But - it was just starting to rust on mine too. I sprayed a little grease on it and wiped it off, and I'll leave the roundel off maybe while she's sleeping over the winters. Thanks for the post to get me to check!steering-bearing.jpeg

Is there a prescribed way to pry those rondels off?

I want to check mine, even though the hole was on the bottom.

Thanks

I just used a pocket knife and worked my way around it till it came up enough to grab. It's held in with a couple of O rings around the plastic. Here's a pic to give you an idea what you're dealing with.
IMG_7007.jpeg

Back