• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Official BMW Customer Care Response Re: DVD Repair Manual Availability

I didn't have a manual for frame guards, but it's pretty obvious how they are installed, other than the recommendation to position the strap locks away from boot contact perhaps.

This is a problem but could also be a BMW OA marketing opportunity.

Perhaps we should reach out to our members a little harder on documenting maintenance procedures that would meet BMW warranty requirements for publication in the magazine and/or available on a maintenance forum thread.

This would be a great incentive to belong to BMW OA.

You could save the price of your subscription on your first oil change.

A 12k service done in your garage could save enough to attend a BMW OA Get-A-Way.

Maybe some of our dealers would allow someone to document certain service procedures for the positive visibility.

Maybe that would get them in trouble with mother ship?

Maybe not?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Perhaps we should reach out to our members a little harder on documenting maintenance procedures that would meet BMW warranty requirements for publication in the magazine and/or available on a maintenance forum thread.

This would be a great incentive to belong to BMW OA.

I was barking up this tree about 20 years ago, when broadband Internet access was becoming more widely available and Google was just a search engine.

There is a lot to unpack regarding this idea, from design and production to hosting and access. Without getting into the details, our organization is simply not structured to do something like this (at least at the level of quality that I think our members deserve). When I presented the concept at a Board meeting in 2002 it was tabled. My vision was a combination of a paid contractor guiding members who were video enthusiasts. It is a lot of work and coordination of processes and resources is critical.

If you want to see this concept in action, check out Woodworkers Guild of America. They got started in the video realm about the same time I made my proposal.

If you look closely at bmwownersnews.com and scroll down, you will see this.... who knows, it could happen.

A close reading of Airmail will tell you that there are things going on with respect to something like this... :brow

Screen%20Shot%202021-11-11%20at%201.17.42%20PM.png

Maybe this move by Corporate will spur Clymer and Haynes to come out with the R1250 manuals. Preferably in book and online formats!

Maybe this move by Corporate will spur Clymer and Haynes to come out with the R1250 manuals. Preferably in book and online formats!

I would think the lack of BMW manuals would markedly increase the market for Haynes and Clymer manuals. Time will tell.

Would that it will work out that way. Alas, when the OEM declines to make the information available the aftermarket publishers are stuck without the data necessary to provide a reliable product. Ducati stopped providing service information years ago and now there are no Haynes or Clymer manuals for current Ducatis.

It provides a pretty bleak scenario for us ten years down the road when BMW dealers decline to support our now current rides and there's no aftermarket info for anyone else to do it properly.

I wonder if the new product will be a DVD or a PDF you can download?

New Haynes Manuals Going Digital Only, But Paper Books Will Remain Available

FREE Haynes Online Manual Preview
https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutorials/take-look-inside-haynes-online-manual

Latest online BMW motorcycle manual is 2018.

They offer an online manual for my bike:
https://haynes.com/en-us/bmw/r1200rt/2005-2009-0

$33 for a lifetime subscription

The Online Manual is not a printed product, not a PDF and not a download.

Access this manual immediately on your internet browser on your mobile, desktop or tablet.

With a Haynes Online Manual in an online format you get all the trusted content of a printed manual, with additional features to help you get the job done. Take your entire manual with you on every journey.

Key features:

All colour step-by-step guides for over 200 jobs with 700+ photos
Image zoom feature for close-up view of jobs
Brand-new “how to” video tutorials covering key repair tasks
Print complete sections to take with you into the workshop
Troubleshooting section – quickly find the cause of a problem
Colour wiring diagrams help track problems quickly and easily
Easy search feature – find your job fast
Dictionary of automotive terms
Quick links to popular DIY tasks and other jobs linked to your task
Conversion calculator – imperial and metric units

Last edited:
Latest online BMW motorcycle manual is 2018.

Yes, but that's only for a few models. The most recent bike covered for the majority is in the early to mid-2010's. For the R1200 WC models it's 2016. For the F series it appears to be 2016 as well. For the K series it appears to be 2010. So, it does not appear to be an option for models built within the previous five years. Technically (no pun intended here), my 2018 is not completely covered by the manual for the 2013-2016 R1200 GS.

Interested in seeing how Haynes pulls this off and where they are getting their data. I’m sure there’s a non-resell clause in the subscription contract for BMW’s digital manual system and doubt that BMW would be interested in licensing Haynes to resell all or part of the service information. :scratch

Best,
DeVern

Interested in seeing how Haynes pulls this off and where they are getting their data. I’m sure there’s a non-resell clause in the subscription contract for BMW’s digital manual system and doubt that BMW would be interested in licensing Haynes to resell all or part of the service information. :scratch

Best,
DeVern

“Where it came from” is relatively easy to track. When you download from iTunes, your email gets embedded. Probably nobody is really interested unless someone tries to become the next Napster.
OM

I just bought a Honda because of BMW's decision to make manuals unavailable.
I also sent them an email telling them so.
I got an email from them thanking me for my 45 years of loyalty.
We have to let them know what we think about the manual situation.
Who knows, it might help.

I think they have us confused with their car customers.

Joe

I just bought a Honda because of BMW's decision to make manuals unavailable.
I also sent them an email telling them so.
I got an email from them thanking me for my 45 years of loyalty.
We have to let them know what we think about the manual situation.
Who knows, it might help.

I think they have us confused with their car customers.

Joe

I'm a bit surprised that BMW doesn't work harder to cross-sell their cars and motorcycles. There have been a few fits and starts, but little systematic effort, far as I can tell.

Back