• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ethanol Spiked Fuel

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I noticed an article in the December 2021 BMWMOA about ethanol.

Some months ago, I checked three fuels in my area and calculated the amount of ethanol in the fuel. Note that fuel, even from the same company can vary across the continent.

Test Procedure:
Fuel hoses are shared between grades, therefore any fuel collected for the test was after fuel of that grade was used to fill my vehicle.
1000 ml graduated cylinder.
800 ml gasoline added.
200 ml dyed water added.
Graduated cylinder was shaken vigorously and then left to settle.

Ethanol.jpg

I noticed an article in the December 2021 BMWMOA about ethanol.

Some months ago, I checked three fuels in my area and calculated the amount of ethanol in the fuel. Note that fuel, even from the same company can vary across the continent.

Test Procedure:
Fuel hoses are shared between grades, therefore any fuel collected for the test was after fuel of that grade was used to fill my vehicle.
1000 ml graduated cylinder.
800 ml gasoline added.
200 ml dyed water added.
Graduated cylinder was shaken vigorously and then left to settle.

View attachment 86407

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this.

In the states, all the pump stickers say, "May contain up to 10% Ethanol" so you can never be certain of the exact amount. I use the app "Pure-Gas" to shop for non-ethanol fuel whenever possible. http://pure-gas.org/ Regualr non-ethanol is easy to find around me, premium not so much.

In the states, all the pump stickers say, "May contain up to 10% Ethanol" so you can never be certain of the exact amount. I use the app "Pure-Gas" to shop for non-ethanol fuel whenever possible. http://pure-gas.org/ Regualr non-ethanol is easy to find around me, premium not so much.

If touring in the Great Plains or the Mountain West or the Pacific Northwest your fuel options are "take what you can get" when you need fuel. In more congested places you may have more options but don't count on it west of the Mississippi!

Where I am, as far as I know, the only non-ethanol available is Stewart's premium.

So, that is what I purchase for my R80ST and yard equipment.

Unfortunately, their ice cream is amazing.

SPP

I don’t understand the “spiked” part. :scratch
It has been mandated, not that I’m a fan in any way, shape or form, since 2005. I’m not surprised at any wild swings in formulations either. If anyone has been to a bulk distribution center (rack) or watched a fuel delivery in a slush-filled rainy can appreciate that fuel works as well as it does.
OM

Where I am, as far as I know, the only non-ethanol available is Stewart's premium.

So, that is what I purchase for my R80ST and yard equipment.

Unfortunately, their ice cream is amazing.

SPP

The salty caramel gelato is pretty good too!
There are a few more stations that have ethanol free around here (otsego county)

It has been mandated, not that I’m a fan in any way, shape or form, since 2005. I’m not surprised at any wild swings in formulations either. If anyone has been to a bulk distribution center (rack) or watched a fuel delivery in a slush-filled rainy can appreciate that fuel works as well as it does.
OM

I still recall the statement in the Haynes Manual I got when I bought my first K75 in 1986. It said I should not use gasoline "adulterated" with alcohol.

Dictionary
a·dul·ter·ate
/əˈdəltəˌrāt/
verb
past tense: adulterated; past participle: adulterated

render (something) poorer in quality by adding another substance, typically an inferior one.

I still recall the statement in the Haynes Manual I got when I bought my first K75 in 1986. It said I should not use gasoline "adulterated" with alcohol.

Dictionary
a·dul·ter·ate
/əˈdəltəˌrāt/
verb
past tense: adulterated; past participle: adulterated

render (something) poorer in quality by adding another substance, typically an inferior one.

:thumb True words, Paul.

"Spiked" in that it is not gasoline.

It has been mandated...

I realize that. Thanks to politics though. I am sure we do not import ethanol, so I am sure it is produced right here.

Some years ago I checked with a few companies and "premium" should not have any ethanol in it. Well Ultra 94 has almost 10% and Shell V-Power had 1.25%. My Porsche 991 ran much better with the Shell V-Power 91 and no, its not my imagination (I am used to listening to engines from my flying days). Porsche advertizes the Ultra 94.

Nothing like doing a test yourself as I trust no one.

There is a good one, a Super Unleaded and an Unleaded where both have an Octane rating of 87. Go figure.:scratch

And why bother listing Unleaded as all automotive fuels at pumps are. Notice the Super Unleaded uses American Ethanol.

Gas Pump.jpg

There is a good one, a Super Unleaded and an Unleaded where both have an Octane rating of 87. Go figure.:scratch

And why bother listing Unleaded as all automotive fuels at pumps are. Notice the Super Unleaded uses American Ethanol.

View attachment 86418

I always thought that different color ID stickers with different information helped consumers have less of a chance of putting the wrong product in their vehicles :dunno
All the directions are for the people that are not real mechanical. Sort of like when I sit waiting to get to a pump (diesel) like the one in the picture. The vehicle at the pump is pumping gas and yells “can’t you go to another pump?”
I explain, comprehension seems low, because they never thought of why the outside, maximum access pumps, were the only ones that had a Green handle.
OM

I always thought that different color ID stickers with different information helped consumers have less of a chance of putting the wrong product in their vehicles :dunno

OM

BP likes to confuse people by using green handles for gas.

OM

I was refering to the two different labeled grades yet they both had the same octane number.

Yup, I had a VW diesel for almost 4 years (VW bought it back). I remember the times at the pumps.

Back during my flying days, someone pumped Jet fuel into a Cessna 206 Turbo. Its a Turbo, not a Turbine engine. He didn't get far. Its sad when one has to monitor everything.

I realize that. Thanks to politics though. I am sure we do not import ethanol, so I am sure it is produced right here.

Some years ago I checked with a few companies and "premium" should not have any ethanol in it. Well Ultra 94 has almost 10% and Shell V-Power had 1.25%. My Porsche 991 ran much better with the Shell V-Power 91 and no, its not my imagination (I am used to listening to engines from my flying days). Porsche advertizes the Ultra 94.

Nothing like doing a test yourself as I trust no one.

Yes, the government subsidized ethanol industry produces all of the corn juice we use in the USA right here, and with a negative net energy benefit. We also produce all the petroleum we need in the USA, and were a net exporter for many years, if not sill. From what I can tell, the only reason to keep contaminating gasoline with ethanol is to support a well-established and powerful industrial agricultural lobby. Even National Geographic determined a number of years ago that ethanol production in the US is not energy efficient because if the very high energy inputs required to produce a non-naturally occurring biomass.

I am sure we do not import ethanol, so I am sure it is produced right here.
How much ethanol did the US import in 2019?
The United States substantially increased its sugarcane ethanol imports in 2019 to a total of 13,000 b/d, up 9,000 b/d from 2018 levels, all of which were sourced from Brazil.May 1, 2020

Yes, the government subsidized ethanol industry produces all of the corn juice we use in the USA right here, and with a negative net energy benefit. We also produce all the petroleum we need in the USA, and were a net exporter for many years, if not sill. From what I can tell, the only reason to keep contaminating gasoline with ethanol is to support a well-established and powerful industrial agricultural lobby. Even National Geographic determined a number of years ago that ethanol production in the US is not energy efficient because if the very high energy inputs required to produce a non-naturally occurring biomass.
While the whole fuel additive/mixing deal seems iffy to me......It did get us off MTBE which was a huge environmental nightmare, especially for the independent owners with a leak. The costs were extraordinary.
OM

Back