• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

random seal, I don't know where it goes

brant914

Hi and good morning.
still working on the 1971 R75/5 bike

I have to take responsibility for my lapse in organization
a lot of the parts I've ordered over the last 4 years have gone into a box... not always labeled, as the shipper will sometime throw multiple items into an unlabeled bag
that is my fault for not sorting them as they arrived....

but I've been going through the parts box and most things have been fairly easy to identify

however... i've got myself stuck on this seal
I thought it might be the swing arm... nope...
I thought a wheel bearing... nope...

possibly I have a part that was an accidental shipment and doesn't fit my bike?
maybe a different year bike...

its a thin seal
measures out at 40mm x 21mm x 7mm

any one know what this should fit...
I put all new bearings into every single rotating point and this is extra...
but definitely came from Bob's or Max in one of my orders for the bike.

bmw.jpg

MAX shows the swing arm seal to be: "Seal ring 22x40x10 for swing arm bearing"
The next nearest seal appears to be for the front wheel bearing at: # 36 31 1 233 247 SHAFT SEAL - 36X22X8

Last edited:
MAX shows the swing arm seal to be: "Seal ring 22x40x10 for swing arm bearing"

I think it must be that.. a different supplier maybe..

weird...
but I pulled a swing arm seal
its identical except in thickness
mine is more narrow.

and it is identical so.. my measurements should have been 22 x 40 x my narrow number

thanks again everyone

brant

Would the thickness of the seal make any difference? It just needs to fill the hole and seal around the inner diameter. Those seals are usually driven in until it is flush with the bike engine/frame anyway.

It's a grease seal, not an oil seal, and there are only a few places (wheels and swingarm) where grease seals are used.

The swingarm seal runs against the same part that the wheel seals ride against, which is 22mm. And the wheel seals I have here are a hair over 21mm ID so that they stretch slightly over what's in them.

Oh, and here we go I just found some swingarm seals. They are about 21mm ID, unstretched. These are 10mm thick but I bet there are 7mm seals that were easier for someone to buy/supply at one point.

Back