• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding gear: Aerostich R-3, or...?

Hello everyone. I'm thinking ahead to riding gear for later this year.

I currently own an Aerostich Roadcrafter, and twenty five year old leathers. However, the suits have, um, grown on me a bit.... (I lost some weight, and the leathers are too baggy for me to wear.) Also, I know that technology has improved over the years.

Most of my riding has ranged from local roads to touring, temperatures ranging from below freezing to the 90s F. I haven't been on a track in ages, although I won't rule out the possibility of a track day in the future.

So, what should I look into?

I like the idea of the waterproofness of the R-3. Is it as handy and comfortable as the standard Roadcrafter?

What else should I look at?

You can't not look at Klim stuff, they are pricey BUT well worth the price. Go to a Revzilla or similar location to try on before buying.

Riding jacket and pants with CE protectors at shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees are really the obvious choice in these modern times.

You can now find suits and jackets with automatic airbag protection if you desire.

I think the way to evaluate rider equipment is to learn what racers use (perhaps required to use) and then make various decisions to back off from there. They all use leather of course, but there are new cordura like materials that provide great abrasion resistance.

It's best to have a one-piece suit or else jacket and pants that can be attached to each other (zipper). That way pants don't come down/off as you slide down the road. Same reason racers have gloves with wrist straps.

Again, know the ultimate to best understand the rest.

Roadcrafter

I have the roadcrafter light which is similar to the R3, light outside fabric but same gortex lining. The garment great for wind protection and waterproof.
Most of the time I wear Darien pants and a good mesh jacket with a waterproof inner liner when need.
Also have an Helite turtle air vest that I don’t wear as often as I should

Oops. I forgot to add "protective" to "handy" and "comfortable."

Also, how effective is the R-3 at being waterproof?

How about other possibilities, such as Klim, BMW-branded, etc.? Protective, waterproof, ventilated, convenient, etc.?

I have had a variety of Aerostich gear since the mid 1990s. I currently wear a Darian jacket with Roadcrafter pants with a zip-on bib top. My Roadcrafter jacket is in the closet due to a bit of waistline expansion do to no fault of Aerostich. I occasionally ride with vented pants from other than Aerostich but always travel with my "Stich" pants on my body or in the bike's bags. My jacket is - Aerostich - period, in all climates from freezing to triple digits. You can just simply take that to the bank. The only exceptions are very short trips - less than 25 miles - in high 90s or triple digits, when I might use a mesh jacket.

I never liked the fit/style of the Roadcrafter but I've preferred a one-piece and worn one for the better part of the past 15 years. I went through 2 Olympia Phantoms before Klim came out with the Hardanger. I've had it through 3 riding seasons now and have nothing negative to say about it. Getting the correct size is key. Because Revzilla has a no questions asked return policy for about $6.00 shipping I ordered 2 different size Hardangers from them. The XL Regular, was a good fit. I returned both and ordered directly from Klim using their Veteran discount.

Duane

Darien

Darien jacket and pants.
I've done the Klim thing and found that I couldn't get pants that fit and the jackets are a bit too complicated.
The Darien works for me

Joe

If you're not considering an airbag as part of your safety gear, it might be time.

I've got a 22yo 'stich and a closet full of Dainese stuff, which is excellent and highly functional. I'm going to sell all my Dainese jackets and buy one with an airbag in it.

In my humble opinion, just like we had an inflection to full face helmets in the late 70s and then a migration to actual riding gear in the 80s, with pads and back protectors arriving in the 90s/00s, the next inflection in motorcycle safety is here with airbag jackets/vests.

Right now, Aerostich offers no such option and vests will block airflow in the summer, so I'm looking at the D-Air stuff to replace my Dainese jackets. I don't commute anymore, so my 'stich is used kind of rarely these days. A 'stich is great, but it's not really good touring gear, IMHO.

When we update our gear, we have an opportunity to take advantage of the newest safety technology, so maybe that might be a factor as you decide, OP?

I never liked the fit/style of the Roadcrafter but I've preferred a one-piece and worn one for the better part of the past 15 years. I went through 2 Olympia Phantoms before Klim came out with the Hardanger. I've had it through 3 riding seasons now and have nothing negative to say about it. Getting the correct size is key. Because Revzilla has a no questions asked return policy for about $6.00 shipping I ordered 2 different size Hardangers from them. The XL Regular, was a good fit. I returned both and ordered directly from Klim using their Veteran discount.

Duane

That's rather sleazy.

If you're not considering an airbag as part of your safety gear, it might be time.

I've got a 22yo 'stich and a closet full of Dainese stuff, which is excellent and highly functional. I'm going to sell all my Dainese jackets and buy one with an airbag in it.

In my humble opinion, just like we had an inflection to full face helmets in the late 70s and then a migration to actual riding gear in the 80s, with pads and back protectors arriving in the 90s/00s, the next inflection in motorcycle safety is here with airbag jackets/vests.

Right now, Aerostich offers no such option and vests will block airflow in the summer, so I'm looking at the D-Air stuff to replace my Dainese jackets. I don't commute anymore, so my 'stich is used kind of rarely these days. A 'stich is great, but it's not really good touring gear, IMHO.

When we update our gear, we have an opportunity to take advantage of the newest safety technology, so maybe that might be a factor as you decide, OP?

Yes. Please point me in directions for good information.

While I haven't done a lot of research, I've noticed there appears to be airbags that support the head and neck, while the Dainase one kbasa indicate appears to protect mostly the back spine and not much to support the head and neck. Of course, this is based on the descriptions and photos I could see online, and I could be incorrect.

Here's one example I read about here in another thread. This one is designed to support the neck and head.
https://helitemoto.com/technology/
https://helitemoto.com/

I haven't done enough research myself for any recommendations. Just passing on some info.

If you Google motorcycle airbags, a bunch of reviews pop up.

I do think it's more a when not and if I will get an airbag. One of the main decisions is whether or not to get a vest, which can be worn over my existing jackets or a jacket.

Back