• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alpine Audio Unit Repair

Furman

Manic Mechanic
Looking for an electronic repair shop that can repair the Bluetooth issue I am having with my Alpine audio unit.

The issue I am having is with the Bluetooth connection dropping out. I get audio (radio, navigation and phone) via Bluetooth to my BMW helmet headset. I would get a message on my GPS screen that Bluetooth connection is lost. This seemed to happen more often when I had a passenger with me. The Bluetooth antenna is located under the seat where the passenger sits. It like the passenger is blocking the Bluetooth signal from the antenna. The system has been paired cleared and paired again as per BMW manual many times.

Items that have been replaced.
GPS BMW Navigator V Garmin unit
BMW communicator helmet units. Both driver and passenger.
Bluetooth antenna located under seat.
Cell phone.

One thing that helped was relocating the Bluetooth antenna from under the seat to the space between the seat and fuel tank. It has an open view to the drivers helmet. But if I lean over the antenna I loose the signal again.

I did send it to United Radio an Alpine repair shop but they could not help. A new replacement unit is over $2000 then the labor at the dealer to program it. There are some units on Ebay but I don't know if everything works intel I get it programmed to the bike.

Has anyone had luck getting the Alpine module repaired? Thanks

Issues with BMW's bluetooth in the K1600 and wetheads have been around for awhile. Following is a link with some work arounds -

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?92034-beat-the-dead-horse-Blues-with-Blue-tooth

Thanks for the reply. I did see that. Does Sena still make that SM10 unit? And will it work with the BMW communicators? I was fine with the way it was. Was just tiring to get the Bluetooth repaired in the Alpine unit. I just got the audio unit back from United Radio repair. They said they could not help since that Alpine unit is discontinued. But I did reinstall it and everything is working now. I love the K1600GTL but why did BMW choice such a bad system (maybe they were the cheapest) Thanks Again.

Back