• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rubber Sleeves in K75/K100 Fuel Tank?

motiv8ed

R69S,R75/5,R90/6,K75C&S
What’s the purpose of these rubber sleeves on either side of the fuel pump mounting bracket and can they be removed without operational consequence? Mine are starting to come apart.
629720F2-0EE9-45B6-AFE5-16FCE4A74001.jpeg

Motiv8ed,

Yes they are vibration bumpers.

When the tank was built, the fuel pump shelf was welded to the floor section of the tank, then the floor was welded to the tank upper. Once the tank was welded together, there was no way to weld the outer edge of the pump shelf to the inside of the tank. This would cause the vibration of the pump to be transfered through the pump shelf to the side of the tank. This would have increased noise and cause potential wear to the side of the tank. The bumpers slide in from the top and wedge in there.

If you try to replace them with something else, remember, they must be gasoline and ethanol proof.

:dance:dance:dance

Vibration Bumpers

Motiv8ed,

Thank you! I’d certainly replace them if they could be found…..no luck thus far. Any thoughts on where to find???

Yes they are vibration bumpers.

When the tank was built, the fuel pump shelf was welded to the floor section of the tank, then the floor was welded to the tank upper. Once the tank was welded together, there was no way to weld the outer edge of the pump shelf to the inside of the tank. This would cause the vibration of the pump to be transfered through the pump shelf to the side of the tank. This would have increased noise and cause potential wear to the side of the tank. The bumpers slide in from the top and wedge in there.

if you try to replace them with something else, remember, they must be gasoline and ethanol proof.

Welcome to the forum!
If they are no longer available, I think you can size fuel injector hose, slice it down on one size and slide it in. Fuel injector hose is a grade up over regular gas line.
Good luck.
OM

Regular fuel injection hose will not work. It MUST be rated “Submersible”. :deal

Submersable Hose

Gotta love it! Got a NAPA just down the street. Thank you fellow Brick-heads!

Rob,

The vibration dampers that he is looking for are for the pump SHELF, not the one that goes around the pump. The ones for the shelf are not listed in the parts fiche.

I must be really confused. I recall you showing me the rubber damper for the fuel pump. I took heed of your caution about not allowing the rubber to degrade lest the expensive fuel pump suffer failure. Thus, I have replaced these fuel pump dampers a couple of times on my K75S bikes. I can't recall a "shelf" damper.

My experience is limited to my red 88 K75S and blue 92 K75S (the one you helped me with).

Ah Hah! Now I see what I did not previously. I agree that submersible fuel line would likely be a suitable replacement. Now I need to get some and replace these in my K75S bikes as they are likely way past due. Maybe Lee told me this and I forgot. :)

fuel pump shelf dampers.jpg

The ones on the shelf are more of a plastic or very hard rubber and “almost” never need replacement. However, motiv8ed said his are coming apart. They are not available from BMW or any source that I am aware of. Submersible fuel hose might be a reasonable substitue.

Back