• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F700 GS Opinion on lowering options please

the Wizard of Oz
My wife has a '17 F700 GS, with the BMW low saddle. She's a fairly experienced rider, but she'd still be happier if it weren't such a chore to lug it off the side stand, and if she could get more easily to flat-footed at least on one side at a time. Of course we're aware that there may be a custom saddle that's even lower and that she might change the shocks and fork springs. I imagine the shop she uses will also have opinions, but I'd sure like to hear yours.

If you would, please, share your experience likes, dislikes etc. Are there other considerations? Like handling with a lowered suspension?

Thanx!

Although the “low” front suspension uses a slightly different length internal rod, most of the difference between a “normal” and “low” 700 is at the rear of the bike, with a different shock and spring. The sidestand is also a different part number. There are usually several used shocks on ebay, so no need to purchase a new one if you decide to change shocks.

However, on either bike the rear shock can be adjusted quite a bit for preload and therefore ride height by simply turning the knob near the top of the shock. Turning to the stops is easier using the butterfly tool found under the seat. You may find this simple adjustment enough.

Lowering the rear only should make the bike a bit more stable in a straight line by increasing rake and trail, but my guess is most riders would not notice the subtle difference.

My opinion is perhaps not a very popular one, but here it is.

I feel that if a bike does not fit the rider very well, and it can't be adjusted with relatively subtle adjustments such as a change of seat, barbacks, etc., then the best solution is to change bikes.

Choose a bike that fits the rider, and that gives the rider confidence, not the other way around.

If an F800GS is too tall for her, then maybe she should shop for a bike that is designed for someone of her stature.

I'm not exactly a small person, but if I were to buy a new bike tomorrow, it wouldn't be a GSA, for this very reason--it's just too darned tall.

I will expand the title later. The “common” shorthand makes forum searches rely on “whole” wording.
Good luck.
OM

Back