• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Last ride of 21

jerryleejr

Well in normal fashion I was able to incorporate the bike for a necessary trip. As 2021 drew to a close I need to take my Daughter back to Atlanta. This is my one child that has never really had an interest in bikes. The one problem was I needed tires and was gonna wait until spring after all the headache with my local dealer. But on a whim I called Pandoras in Chattanooga to see what they had in stock and get some prices. Knowing if they didn't have anything the chances were slim of ordering anything and getting them in time were slim... After a brief hold I was told they had both RS 4's and Roadtec in stock. The Dunlops came in cheaper and I was going to try the 3's this time but hey take what you can get. So they scheduled me first thing friday morning.
So as usual with my trips I came off a night shift thursday morning came home loaded up the bike and off to chattanooga we went. Pulled into the hotel about 430 ordered some Chinese and my daughter stayed stuck to her screen for the evening but did enjoy the 3 hour ride. I got up and headed to the dealer, I arrived about 20 minutes before they opened and was greeted and offered a seat and cup of joe while I waited for them to open. I browsed all the shiny new bikes and wish I could've brought a couple of them home. They had a nice selection of different makes and models the 719 RT was hard to resist as was the Triumph Rocket 3. They did have a couple R18's and had the weather been better I would've tried it out. (I think Mother Nature Knew I didn't need to test ride any bikes because I would've added one to the garage.) I mean it wouldn't have been the first time I called my wife and told her to bring the trailer... I have to say I was really impressed with this dealership. They had me in and out in about an hour and a half, answered all my questions and I came away with new tires installed and nice new pair of boots for just a little more than my local dealer wanted for just tires. I finished up with the service department headed off to the hotel loaded up and off to Atlanta we go. Since I had new shoes on and the roads were wet I tried Rain mode for the first time. As with anything its hard to form an initial impression on new tires well because I came off the BT30's with 6900 miles on them to brand new tires but I knew they would scrub in and end up with about 400 miles on them by the time I got home. Surprisingly the ride down was uneventful we did encounter off and on showers but traffic was lite for Atlanta. We pulled in to her house about 230 and exchanged goodbyes and after a lot of effort and a few choice words got the bike headed back north. I was pulling the unigo this trip so it may have had some effect but my initial impressions of the Dunlops are they did not seem as planted to me. I know with the trailer dirty air will make the front seem to hunt a bit, however it seemed to randomly do it even when I was clear of traffic. Now it could've been windy but I wasn't getting blown around per se and there wasn't a definitive speed or condition that caused it.
Yet usually north of 70 on the speedo I would get a left to right hunting in the front. And a couple times I continued to see what it would do and I believe if I had continued I wouldn't be here writing this, I will ride without the unigo to see if I get the same thing. And if I don't then I know to keep the speed down with the trailer. All in all a great trip and other than needing the B to go on a diet I love the bike but man she is a handful in parking lots and off camber parking situation. Enough of my long winded drivel Have a Happy NEW Year and my 22 bring more miles and smiles to the community....

Attachments

• IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8886.jpg
    IMG_8886.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8895.jpg
    IMG_8895.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8891.jpg
    IMG_8891.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8892.jpg
    IMG_8892.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8894.jpg
    IMG_8894.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8890.jpg
    IMG_8890.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 61
Information from one trailer owner to another; one friend with a Unigo has found by adjusting the height of where the Unigo attaches to the bike makes a big difference with the ride. In your situation I would first try the ride with the trailer minus the pack strapped on the back of the bike. If the ride should be the same, then I’d be adjusting the hitch.

In my case I eliminated unwanted trailer movement by placing more weight in the trailer closer to the bike. My Unigo friend places weight closer to the trailer’s wheel.

Please let us know what solution eliminates your issue.

Information from one trailer owner to another; one friend with a Unigo has found by adjusting the height of where the Unigo attaches to the bike makes a big difference with the ride. In your situation I would first try the ride with the trailer minus the pack strapped on the back of the bike. If the ride should be the same, then I’d be adjusting the hitch.

In my case I eliminated unwanted trailer movement by placing more weight in the trailer closer to the bike. My Unigo friend places weight closer to the trailer’s wheel.

Please let us know what solution eliminates your issue.
Yeah I know its trial and error, I try to keep the weight low and forward as much as the shape of the trailer will allow, I believe the height is fine but will look at where its positioned.

Is this the first trip with the trailer and pack?
No I did a 200 mile test ride same configuration, different load in the trailer but about the same weight. the bags on the bike were pretty much empty both trips....

Back