• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90s Rear End

RPGR90s

After nearly 50 years, the original final drive on my '74 R90s is starting to leak.

I can't complain with nearly 150,000 miles.

Can someone recommend a shop to re-seal it?

Thanks

Hansen's BMW in Medford OR was a dealer that is highly recommended. For independents, you could contact Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage or Anton Largiader, both of them on the east coast..

I sent the one on my /7 to Bob's when it started to leak. That was several years back and it's still working like a champ. I'd bet any of the regular shops mentioned here would be fine choices depending on your location (those Kurt mentioned, Bob's BMW, Engle Motors, the Beemer Shop, etc...). Good luck!

Thanks everyone.

I do most of my own work but haven't yet invested in any rear end tools. Probably because I've yet to see a leaking rear end on any Airhead I've ever worked on. :)

Yes

I do most of my own work but haven't yet invested in any rear end tools. Probably because I've yet to see a leaking rear end on any Airhead I've ever worked on.

Funny this topic just came up when it did. I just pulled my RT off the lift due to a oiled up rear wheel or should I say a lot of oil on the rear wheel from someplace. Anyway, sadly, I don't wash my bikes a whole lot and when I did the other day, the wheel had a lot of gunk on it from oil collecting.

First thing I thought was the final drive was leaking and yep, the sight level showed oil below the full mark. Lucky for me, the problem was a bad crush washer on the drain plug I stupidly didn't check when I changed the gear oil the last time.

As for the other seals, knock on wood, I am still going strong at 240K miles with only one spline change. So, LOL I have never invested in tools to do final drive work or transmission work as I never have had to. I have a local small retirement shop who works on airheads and provides me with coffee and conversation.

Where are you located at? St.

I do most of my own work but haven't yet invested in any rear end tools. Probably because I've yet to see a leaking rear end on any Airhead I've ever worked on.

Funny this topic just came up when it did. I just pulled my RT off the lift due to a oiled up rear wheel or should I say a lot of oil on the rear wheel from someplace. Anyway, sadly, I don't wash my bikes a whole lot and when I did the other day, the wheel had a lot of gunk on it from oil collecting.

First thing I thought was the final drive was leaking and yep, the sight level showed oil below the full mark. Lucky for me, the problem was a bad crush washer on the drain plug I stupidly didn't check when I changed the gear oil the last time.

As for the other seals, knock on wood, I am still going strong at 240K miles with only one spline change. So, LOL I have never invested in tools to do final drive work or transmission work as I never have had to. I have a local small retirement shop who works on airheads and provides me with coffee and conversation.

Where are you located at? St.

240k is pretty impressive.
I'm in southern central MI, about 20 miles north of the OH border.

a little to far

LOL, just a bit too far for me to give a hand, or for my shop to work on your bike. Good luck. St.

If you live near northern California then Ozzie's BMW in Chico Ca. can help you out. They still work on Airheads

Hansen's BMW in Medford OR was a dealer that is highly recommended. For independents, you could contact Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage or Anton Largiader, both of them on the east coast..

Hansen's has my final drive right now for a reseal. They've had it a while, as they are making new tooling for all the special Airhead jobs after losing everything in a fire in September 2020. I spoke to Craig a few days ago and they now have new fixtures for the job.

For a lot of the Airhead stuff, they're using this as an opportunity to build better fixtures. For something as simple as the drive cup (splines) on the rear wheel, it seems the old tool took two mechanics to run it. Three if using hot rivets. The new tool is a one-man item.

Back