• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Italy Motorcycle Tour questions - Adriatic or MTE - Moto Tours Eroupe.

jsd

Myself and wife are entertaining the idea of taking a Southern Italy tour next fall. We have narrowed it down to two options Adriatic tours or Moto Tours Europe (AKA MTE). Does anyone out there have experiences with either?

There might be some relevant experiences in a few of the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

Thank you but everything that shows up is at least 5 years or so old.

This video is from 2019… it showed up in the “similar threads” Kurt mentioned… and while I have no experience with the tour operators you mention (fwiw, Adriatic Mototours actively supports the MOA), I strongly recommend riding in Sicily.

Sardinia and Corsica also do not suck :nod

Personally, I would not go to Naples, the traffic there is over the top insane! :eek

Myself and wife are entertaining the idea of taking a Southern Italy tour next fall. We have narrowed it down to two options Adriatic tours or Moto Tours Europe (AKA MTE). Does anyone out there have experiences with either?

My wife and I did an 18-day tour in SE Europe with Adriatic. We found them as a company very communicative and attentive to detail, from airport pickup/drop off to directing us to a hotel and attractions for the days we arrived in advance of the tour start. Our guides were knowledgeable and well-organized, motorcycles were in great condition, and accommodations and meals ranged from very satisfactory to absolutely top-notch.

In short, tho my wife is no longer touring by MC I’d definitely use Adriatic again, and in fact my son and I have an Alps adventure booked with them for this summer and a friend and I are looking at their Greece or Tuscany tours for 2023.

No vested interest, just a very satisfied customer. You’re welcome to shoot me a PM for info or questions.

Best,
DeVern

Here's my 2 cents on your enquiry [worth every penny U paid.] :deal

We had a pleasant vacation with AMT many years ago (before covid). In fact, Fred Rau says to try different motorcycles whenever you get a chance; this was when I first tried an F800GS. I was very suitably impressed that I came home to MD and bought a used "anniversary edition" in 2010 from the MOA Marketplace!

So our group of 11 world travelers departed Ljubliana and rode clockwise around Slovenia, into northern Croatia to Mali Losinj {had a terrific 2-nite stay}, then back into northern Italy for several days and finally back to Ljubliana. Would highly recommend such a tour again; Mrs-HSV and Kat from Australia, both took the opportunity to jump off the highest Mtn in Slovenia near Bovec! I wanted to also but Ladies first -- the weather closed in on the mountains in the afternoon. :nono

I can't speak to "MTE" but I'm sure they'll take good care of you too...

BUT, having done this before successfully in various countries, U too can rent a bike by yourself from various companies and ride your own Tour {with or without the providers' explicit suggestions}. We just did the same thing in July via MotoQuest in Anchorage for two terrific weeks and 2,500 miles by ourselves. So I rented a R1150GS in Milan in '07, and then we rode it throughout the Alps and we did John Hermann's Dare to me to ride 17 Passes in one day. It worked out just fine - I proposed to Ms Karen on that particular trip... We also went further thru Switzerland, France, and into Barcelona, Spain before returning up through the "Grand Canyon" of France [aka the Gorges du Verdon]!

Years later, we rented two bikes in Milan in '17 {after traveling from MD to SC, to Rota, to Ramstein, to Vicenza all on Military hops}. Took the train into Milano and then a taxi to the m/c dealer... Together we rode over to Lago di Garda and the township of Pieve in northern Italy to enjoy another chapter out of John Hermann's book at the Hotel Paradiso. U stand on a cantilevered platform 3,000' above the lake and say thank God for this ADVenture... >> https://www.facebook.com/HotelParadisoTerrazzaDelBrivido <<

A fantastic experience in the tiny village of Pieve overlooking Lago di Garda, Italy. Imagine the many narrow switchbacks up the side of that precipice...
Pieve-Overlook.jpeg

Then also suggested in John's book, we toured south to Lucca & Sienna before ferrying from Florence over to Corsica for five more "INTERESTING" riding days!!! Go for it! Make up your own ADVentures. We met many new friends along the way, but none have visited us nor have we been back to Europe due to covid...

A fantastic life-changing experience riding and eating and Touring in France {because "Corse" is Not actually an Italian Island}!
Corsican-curb-side-pizza.jpeg

We finally ferried north to Genoa, and the return of our bikes to Mr Milano Moto Man. FYI, do as we did - I took a personal handlebar-mounted GPS unit with newly bought European Maps. I'm glad I did because visiting Brazilian Bikers had rented all but two BMWs from Milan for their visit to the Italian Gran Prix. So what was supposed to be Karen's personal GPS, became our only guidance for this excursion... I did the same in Alaska this summer, and Phil Freeman's MQ-bunch also did Not have any GPS units to rent to us... It pays to think ahead and rely on your own equipment!

A two week European Vacation successfully ended in Milan with the drop-off and repacking of our gear for additional Space-A ADVentures from NAS Naples, to NAS Sigonella in Sicily, onto a stop in Rota AB, Spain, and finally a hop to Norfolk NAS [where we had to rent a car to drive to Charleston AFB, SC to retrieve our car...] That's what's referred to as an Adventure of a Lifetime - just saying.
Milan-Moto-Man.jpeg

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&--— USAF-Ret'd

'09 650GS-twin —— '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L

See all ya Hosers in Springfield in the New Year!
:beer :kbasa :buds

BUT, having done this before successfully in various countries, U too can rent a bike by yourself from various companies and ride your own Tour {with or without the providers' explicit suggestions}.

Ok Phil, I wasn’t going to go there but you did, so I will! :ha

My wife and I went on a high-end tour with The Beach’s, through the UK and the Isle of Man, and it was over the top. Rob and Gretchen Beach are masters of group tours and we had a good time, but while we were on their tour, my own bike was on its way to Stefan Knopf’s place it Heidelberg, were it now lives.

Planned tours are fine but I have to tell you that I have a much better ride on my own bike, on my own time and my own plan. You might be different, but one of the most fun part of the personal ride is the planning, as there a ton of resources now available on the Internet. AirBnB, VRBO, Booking.com and other travel sources like Travel Advisor and Google Earth (street view) make it very easy. I spend hours doing this and really enjoy it… you may not.

I also do not take point-to-point rides… I pick 3-5 or 6 destinations and stay at least 5 days in each. This let me settle in buy some groceries and booze, and then ride out loops daily, without a luggage load. I go in some very arcane places, almost always off the beaten path.

Most tours take you point to point, but at least haul your luggage. I just like staying in one area a little longer and the only downside is that you can get stuck in bad weather.

Regarding bikes… choose a small one. I have to tell you that I’ve fallen in love with my CB500X, so much that I bought another one for the USA.

If you want a BMW, the F650 single is ideal, the 700 twin is too. The heavier R1200s and K16s can be a real handful on the tight technical roads…. And gas is about $8/gallon everywhere. Also, when you drop a rented bike you pay for the damage.. The last time I rode over the Stelvio Pass in northern Italy I helped three different RT riders pick up their bikes in very sharp uphill turns. Learn how to feather your clutch, you will find it an important skill.

In the image below, notice how we are all on the left side of the road, looking sharply right. Cropped out of the pic is a tight right-hand uphill switchback and we are swinging wide while looking for oncoming downhill traffic coming FAST (they haul ass in the EU). Seconds after this pic was taken those two scooters were past me… they really know wtf they’re doing. Watch out for scooters…. They are terrorists!

i-j6zJ5rD-X2.jpg

Ian, how do you handle any issues with language?

Almost everyone in “rich” EU speaks English, but I always try to speak a line or two in the local language. Even in the poorer Balkans I found many who speak English.

Prior to my trip, I use Google Translate and print out things like “Fill it up” … “Do you have a room for tonight” and “I am sorry but my *language* is not good, do you speak English?” If there is Internet access, I use Google Translate on my phone, speak English into it and then show people the text translation. This works amazingly well.

People really appreciate it when you try to speak their language (especially the French!)

The other wonderful thing is that Europeans truly appreciate Americans’ visit to their country, especially when you travel outside the usual tourist destinations. I have had some wonderful conversations with people about far-ranging subjects, with my conclusion being that the US media’s analysis of foreign opinion is way off base. People are truly happy to see you and they have a high level of respect for American values.

I love to travel, it’s the way to solve the world’s problems!

Ian

In my travels around the world working for Cirque du Soleil I quickly stopped bothering to learn more than please and thank etc you in any language. When I rode the Rally Mongolia I didn't even know that but I never had any issue getting anything I needed anywhere without having any common lingo. Certainly it makes life easier and you can much better relate to your environment and the people but I would say you can get by just fine without it.

In my travels around the world working for Cirque du Soleil I quickly stopped bothering to learn more than please and thank etc you in any language. When I rode the Rally Mongolia I didn't even know that but I never had any issue getting anything I needed anywhere without having any common lingo. Certainly it makes life easier and you can much better relate to your environment and the people but I would say you can get by just fine without it.

Yeah, it’s amazing what you can do with gestures and pointing. I can sketch pretty well and part of my business involved creating explanatory technical diagrams. You can communicate some very complex concepts with drawings.

But having mobile Internet access very much improved the situation.

Pretty cool that you worked with Cirque du Soleil… their art direction is some of the best in the world.

Ian, how do you handle any issues with language?

I won't bring up the German since I am fluent in it. I get by on French and Italian, but other than that, it never stopped me in Slovenia, Croatia, Czech Republic or Hungary. If you don't know the word, point. Works well for food, beer, rooms, etc. Or download a multi-lingual dictionary into your SmartPhone.

Ther motorcycle is multi-lingual.

Ended up having a fantastic time with Adriatic

After much deliberating and research we ended up using Adriatic Moto tours and doing their Southern Italy tour. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about both the tour and the tour operator. Except now future vacations are going to be disappointing in comparison.

After much deliberating and research we ended up using Adriatic Moto tours and doing their Southern Italy tour. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about both the tour and the tour operator. Except now future vacations are going to be disappointing in comparison.

Thanks for returning to the thread and letting us know how you made out. :thumb

OM

Simple solution, keep going back and stay for longer than the 10 or 14 days these tours offer. I have for 26 years. Life can be very short!

I second this notion, Alex... you were a great inspiration to me. My business did not allow me to take this amount of time off, but now that I am retired... :burnout

My business did not allow me to take this amount of time off, but now that I am retired... :burnout

I have read that so often about the amount of vaction time we get on this side of the pond. Yet how can Europe and other countries afford to give workers 6 weeks of vacation plus anther 2 weeks of national holidays and not go broke. We must be greedy or doing something wrong.

Anyway, my days are numbered. I remember John Hermann running into me in 2002 on the Ofenpass and he was up there in age. This was easier when I was younger so do it while you can.

2022 I was two-up with plenty of luggage and on a fully fuelled R1150 GSA sitting at about 1000 pounds, all top heavy and I found it a bit tough on the ultra tight switchbacks and 20%+ grades. Especially after a two year layoff due to Covid travel restrictions in 2020 and 2021. I took my girlfriend on some of the more technical passes: Zoncolan, Manghen, Kaiserjaegerweg, south ramp of Gavia, Splügen. Some 48 passes, never an issue. Then I pull into a Shell station in Winterthur and I fall over...go figure.

I have read that so often about the amount of vaction time we get on this side of the pond. Yet how can Europe and other countries afford to give workers 6 weeks of vacation plus anther 2 weeks of national holidays and not go broke. We must be greedy or doing something wrong.

It’s called “entrepreneurialism” … :ha

The only vacation time a key man gets is when there is no business.

Your advice over the years has really helped me in planning my own continental adventures. Norway is next.

Back