• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Your favorite tools

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
We all have them. Some were passed down from father to son, some were hand made to solve a specific problem and some may have been received as a Christmas gift.
It's unfortunate that some of the favorite tools have been "superseded" by more modern tools.

One of my favorite tools is the Yankee screwdriver-

814px-Stanley_Yankee_screwdrivers.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver

I can't remember the last time I noticed one for sale. Mine had had a lot of use and for a hole or two- can't be beat.

So- what do you own and consider one of your "go to" tools? It can be new or old, perhaps one that not many have or even a tool you have always wanted but due to the price you just haven't purchased yet.

Pride of ownership is encouraged! associated bitching discouraged :)

OM

Snap-on Screwdriver set I purchased while working as a Smog Tech in college way back in 1970.

The handles have been replaced but the "shafts/Bits" are original and still work just fine.

Also, the snap-on ratcheting driver, pricey at the time, but 2 of them . I have my grandfathers yankee screwdriver in the bottom of a toolbox, with a wooden handle, so must be old.

I wish that I had seen this thread sooner, then maybe I’d have been the first to brag about my Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver as my favorite tool instead of the third poster to do so. Oh well, mine is a stubby with replaceable tips that I’ve had for over 20 years. It’s done a lot of traveling and works as well today as when I bought it.

Doug

I have no idea what that tool is?

And funny my Snap On ratcheting screwdriver was one of the first to pop in my head. The first one I ever saw was in a helicopter mechanics toolbox and it was pink. I asked him why pink and he said no-one would steal it. Mine is pink.

I love hammers too.

I have no idea what that tool is?

And funny my Snap On ratcheting screwdriver was one of the first to pop in my head. The first one I ever saw was in a helicopter mechanics toolbox and it was pink. I asked him why pink and he said no-one would steal it. Mine is pink.

I love hammers too.

It magnetizes and de-magnetizes tools like a screwdriver.

The colored handles on hand tools were created as an easy way to find the tools. The traditional black handles hide use and abuse better but disappear in the darkness.
OM

You can magnetize anything with iron by repeatedly stroking one pole of a magnet along the tool's length.
You can de-magnetize it either by banging it hard (not so desirable) or passing it through the tip of a soldering gun, or any other source of a strong AC field.

A golden oldie- Stahlwille 4 piece internal cam stud remover-

794791.jpg

It resides with another oldie from Craftsman, now seems to be supplied by Lisle-

prod_10197613730

OM

It's a little obscure and oddly cheap but this is one of the best simple hand tools I have ever purchased. I got one lightly used with the bits for $12 on Ebay and they cost about $25 new on Amazon.

s-l640_jpg.png

It's a Japanese-made Vessel hand screwdriver that includes Japanese Industrial Standard cross-pattern bits. They look like Phillips but the taper grind is different, and they grip Phillips screws better than Phillips bits do. It's a very well-made tool and works wonders on stuck screws. I've used it on my own rusty BMW fasteners plenty of times.

JIS bits or screwdrivers are incredibly important when working on basically every Japanese motorcycle more than 5 years old, because if you try to use Phillips bits or drivers on them the screws will just strip out. Many a home mechanic has stripped out old carburetor screws not knowing that they were using the wrong screwdriver. I made that mistake on my first couple project motorcycles before I learned about JIS and bought this.

It even saved the day once doing a front brake job on my brother's Honda Insight. The shank of the bits is precisely 1/4 inch so you can put a little wrench on to aid with leverage, and I did exactly that to remove a pair of stuck-with-rust brake rotor screws when no other tool would grip them. That convinced my dad to buy one.

What is that Craftman tool? I see it goes on a ratchet but what does it do?

This is a tool I love but never need to use. It was designed specifically for use on their bolt on fixie hubs. Very solid and ergonomic with a built in bottle opener. Nicely tapered face to keep your knuckles out of the spokes.
IMG_4271_HEIC-XL.jpg

IMG_4272_HEIC-XL.jpg

This one from the factory toolkit is highly coveted. Fits the gas tank bolt on the 640.
IMG_3502_heic-XL.jpg

SnapOn metric sockets are currently distinguished from inch sockets by two knurled rings.

Earlier, they were distinguished by two black rings.

From the 1970s ...

IMG_1033.JPG

It wold be super handy on my toolbox to have differentiated metric vs imperial sockets.

I get you on the stud puller.

Back