• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Favorite Tire Pressure Gauge for your Bike

Looking for a good tire pressure gauge to take along on BDR trips. Looking for input for other BMW riders on which ones they really like, and why!

I may have a dozen different gauges. Some are "pencil" type- least favorite...Some are attached to the air fill hose and my favorite is this-

Mask_Group_6.png

All of our dial tire gauges are ANSI Commercial Grade B gauges (meets ANSI B40.1 Grade B specifications). Unlike piston-plunger-type gauges, the bourdon tube movement is not affected by changes in temperature, humidity, altitude or air stream contaminants.

The mechanical accuracy rating is ± 2% from 30% to 60% of scale and ± 3% below 30% and above 60%.

They all read satisfactory. It's what I like in a (relatively) low pressure gauge.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/accu-gage-by-milton

OM

The bike and each car carry a Milton S-921 pencil gauge. Compact, unbreakable, no batteries to maintain.

At home, in the shop, I use an AccuGage with a twelve inch hose, because the dial is very easy to read.

The gauges are cross-checked against each other every year or so. They have all always agreed within a half pound.

I carry my 50 plus year old pencil gauge. I can't remember ever using it I don't check my tires very often unless the bike sits for a month or so.

The bike and each car carry a Milton S-921 pencil gauge. Compact, unbreakable, no batteries to maintain.

At home, in the shop, I use an AccuGage with a twelve inch hose, because the dial is very easy to read.

Same for me.

I went looking for the S-921 and found the S-920 could handle my RT tires and my somewhat higher pressure E-Bike tires. It also has a little adaptation to measure tread depth:

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

My favorite gauge is like the Cycle Pump in post #4. I purchased a similar one from Brookstone years ago. I like being able to connect my pump to the gauge and inflate while looking at the gauge. I start and stop it until I get the proper PSI.

On a side note, for those without an air compressor at home, I found Campell Hausfeld's Home Inflation System (their name not mine) convenient and good option. It's a 120-volt electric pump. FYI, I don't use the built-in gauge.

https://www.campbellhausfeld.com/home-inflation-system-rp410099av.html?category_id=309

Several years ago, I moved away from my cool-looking but oversized (and somewhat inaccurate) CyclePump gauge. Now, both of my bikes have one of these digital Slime gauges in their respective tank bags.
https://www.autozone.com/tire-repai...OpkFAQfqnkVkPTFwm_RoC_1kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This small gauge is compact, and probably more accurate than most analog gauges. The most obvious downside with this model is the battery isn't replaceable, but I've owned these for years and they're both still working fine.

Personally speaking, I found inflating tires using CyclePump gauge connected to the CyclePump compressor a little awkward, so I don't miss that feature. But still believe the CyclePump is the best inflator on the market.

YMMV.

Looking for a good tire pressure gauge to take along on BDR trips. Looking for input for other BMW riders on which ones they really like, and why!

I have a few; one that is ultra accurate and expensive and then a couple of pocket digital pressure gauges that I check against the Longacre gauge that I take on trips.

Long Acre 50394-L.jpg

Slime Digital Tire Pressure Gauge.jpg

Slime Pro-Series Digital 2-in-1 Gauge - Model 20454 - Front.jpg

CyclePump EZ Air Tire Gauge with right angle chuck by BestRest Products. Their pump is top notch also.

View attachment 86266

I liked mine...but...had to take it apart once as it seized up inside, probably from condensation from leaving it in bike in colder temperatures. Now it leaks where the hose goes into the fitting that goes into the gauge and I have to hold it just right to get an accurate reading. I think these issues were due to using it with the cycle pump attached. It is designed to do this, but it was always difficult to do as those clip attachments would leak air if not held just right. I did use this quite often as I checked my tire pressure often and having the gauge attached to the pump made it easy, but I thought it would last longer.

Back