• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Great Outdoors is not going to be so great

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
…..in the dark…..in Kaliphornia

This boggles my mind-

Watcha gonna do to keep your refrigerator running when the power lines are on fire?

OM

Please cut it out with spelling the name of my home with a K. Show some respect. If you'd like, I could refer to folks in my former home as M*******s. Sound fair?

Also, your comments are funny until you have to get evacuated for a fire and at that point, you get to look at all your material goods and wonder whether you're going to see any of it again. I guarantee that living in Mansfield (King Philip graduate here), you have never had an equivalent experience to a wildfire that has the potential to destroy everything you've worked for.

Long distance transmission of electricity and poor maintenance of the infrastructure that does so by PG&E is what has lead to our fire issues over the last couple years. When we turned utilities into a profit making venture, the state's electrical grid started suffering from the same problems capitalism introduces into high availability, low margin products - stagnation and doing just enough to keep it operating.

The future is local generation and storage. Until then we'll have generators in place. Many of my neighbors already have photovoltaics on the roof and storage for a couple days of power, even if the sun doesn't shine. Also, for those challenged by the law and how it will work, note that there isn't a ban on them being used, but a ban on them being sold. The guy in the video above is doing nothing more than fomenting fear and it looks like you're all consuming it as gospel.

I can't even begin to verbalize how ****ty the comment "how are you going to run your fridge when the power lines are on fire" is and how utterly tone deaf it is to the thousands of Californians that have lost their homes, their possessions and in more cases than we'd like, their lives due to wildfires.

Be better.

If you'd like to have a conversation about environmental laws in California, I'm happy to have that conversation, but using fires as a conversational tact only makes me think you're an *******.

Prove me wrong and do better. At least demonstrate some respect for the 40 million Californians you share a nation with.

Please cut it out with spelling the name of my home with a K. Show some respect. If you'd like, I could refer to folks in my former home as M*******s. Sound fair?

Also, your comments are funny until you have to get evacuated for a fire and at that point, you get to look at all your material goods and wonder whether you're going to see any of it again. I guarantee that living in Mansfield (King Philip graduate here), you have never had an equivalent experience to a wildfire that has the potential to destroy everything you've worked for.

Long distance transmission of electricity and poor maintenance of the infrastructure that does so by PG&E is what has lead to our fire issues over the last couple years. When we turned utilities into a profit making venture, the state's electrical grid started suffering from the same problems capitalism introduces into high availability, low margin products - stagnation and doing just enough to keep it operating.

The future is local generation and storage. Until then we'll have generators in place. Many of my neighbors already have photovoltaics on the roof and storage for a couple days of power, even if the sun doesn't shine. Also, for those challenged by the law and how it will work, note that there isn't a ban on them being used, but a ban on them being sold. The guy in the video above is doing nothing more than fomenting fear and it looks like you're all consuming it as gospel.

I can't even begin to verbalize how ****ty the comment "how are you going to run your fridge when the power lines are on fire" is and how utterly tone deaf it is to the thousands of Californians that have lost their homes, their possessions and in more cases than we'd like, their lives due to wildfires.

Be better.

If you'd like to have a conversation about environmental laws in California, I'm happy to have that conversation, but using fires as a conversational tact only makes me think you're an *******.

Prove me wrong and do better. At least demonstrate some respect for the 40 million Californians you share a nation with.
There isn’t any curse words you can’t throw at Taxachusetts that don’t fit.
For those that don’t know, when asterisks appear, the forum software has automatically deleted the curse or objectionable wording.
Guess I can’t lend you a generator iffin you are without power. :dunno
OM

There isn’t any curse words you can’t throw at Taxachusetts that don’t fit.
For those that don’t know, when asterisks appear, the forum software has automatically deleted the curse or objectionable wording.
Guess I can’t lend you a generator iffin you are without power. :dunno
OM

If that was an apology, it was in the top 5 worst ones I've ever heard.

Somehow, I expected more from a moderator here.

If that was an apology, it was in the top 5 worst ones I've ever heard.

Somehow, I expected more from a moderator here.

Not intended as an apology.
If I was acting with my moderator shoes on, this would have been reported as the personal attack that it was.
I will delete your posts as well as my responses iffin you like?
OM

Not intended as an apology.
If I was acting with my moderator shoes on, this would have been reported as the personal attack that it was.
I will delete your posts as well as my responses iffin you like?
OM

Well, I guess that answers that question.

No, you threw crap on my state and then rationalized it by saying I could say horrible things about Mass. in your response. Originally, you used fires as a tool for sarcasm about the plight of Californians which remains about as tone deaf a statement as I've ever read on this forum. I said your comments made me think you were an 'bad word here', giving you an opportunity to show me some level of empathy for people in my state. But you didn't, did you?

Would you say any of that to the folks that were burned out of Paradise, CA? How about the families of those that died up there? Or the folks living in 5000 homes in Santa Rosa, a Worcester sized city, that were all burned out, including those that died? Or all the people all over this state that have lost their property and loved ones due to fire? My point, however poorly stated, is that you used utter disaster and destruction as a cheap slam on an entire state, because you don't agree with, nor do you apparently understand the new laws.

Speaking as a moderator alumni on this site and as a moderator on another site currently, this is poor behavior by a mod.

And now you're doubling down on being horrible and diminishing the loss this state has suffered. Well done.

Thanks.

Are we going to do floods in the midwest and the gulf coast next? Or should I just wait until you have a blizzard and then make jokes about people freezing to death? Lemme know. Apparently that's acceptable here.

Well, I guess that answers that question.

No, you threw crap on my state and then rationalized it by saying I could say horrible things about Mass. in your response. Originally, you used fires as a tool for sarcasm about the plight of Californians which remains about as tone deaf a statement as I've ever read on this forum. I said your comments made me think you were an 'bad word here', giving you an opportunity to show me some level of empathy for people in my state. But you didn't, did you?

Would you say any of that to the folks that were burned out of Paradise, CA? How about the families of those that died up there? Or the folks living in 5000 homes in Santa Rosa, a Worcester sized city, that were all burned out, including those that died? Or all the people all over this state that have lost their property and loved ones due to fire? My point, however poorly stated, is that you used utter disaster and destruction as a cheap slam on an entire state, because you don't agree with, nor do you apparently understand the new laws.

Speaking as a moderator alumni on this site and as a moderator on another site currently, this is poor behavior by a mod.

And now you're doubling down on being horrible and diminishing the loss this state has suffered. Well done.

Thanks.

Are we going to do floods in the midwest and the gulf coast next? Or should I just wait until you have a blizzard and then make jokes about people freezing to death? Lemme know. Apparently that's acceptable here.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?101366-Wild-weather-in-the-Kentucky-area
OM

I doubt he meant to offend and I also see your point in taking offense. Poor taste? Probably. I apologize for him. What has been suffered out there with wildfires is unimaginable to me and I have been in the eye of 3 hurricanes in three months before.

I doubt he meant to offend and I also see your point in taking offense. Poor taste? Probably. I apologize for him. What has been suffered out there with wildfires is unimaginable to me and I have been in the eye of 3 hurricanes in three months before.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah. Very poor taste.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah. Very poor taste.

Somehow this is wandered off track-

Natural disasters are natural disasters…..Mother Nature is Mother Nature.
When a disasters strike, people like to have an auxiliary form of power to keep important electrical equipment up and running.
Not much can be done about natural disasters or Mother Nature other than get through it the best way possible.

(CA) Seems to think taking away peoples ability to keep their important electrical equipment up and running is the way to go.

Seems like a lot of freezer loads of food going bad.

OM

My standby generator is built in to my Roadtrek camper van. Thus it is not an off-road gasoline engine. And if I were in California at a location where the power went out due to power company negligence you can bet I would start it up and run an extension cord and plug in. For routine use I have solar panels on the roof of the van. Every now and then I will run the generator for 5 minutes so I can microwave something.

My standby generator is built in to my Roadtrek camper van. Thus it is not an off-road gasoline engine. And if I were in California at a location where the power went out due to power company negligence you can bet I would start it up and run an extension cord and plug in. For routine use I have solar panels on the roof of the van. Every now and then I will run the generator for 5 minutes so I can microwave something.

It sounds like one of the generators they are going to ban….that being gasoline powered. It sounds like RV manufacturers will be able to go with propane although it probably means an upsize in output size to compensate.
My guess is that you have an Onan Emerald 4K? I have the same in my M/H.
Quick and easy to have temporary power.
OM

My standby generator is built in to my Roadtrek camper van. Thus it is not an off-road gasoline engine. And if I were in California at a location where the power went out due to power company negligence you can bet I would start it up and run an extension cord and plug in.

The video said you can still use the generator you own.

The video said you can still use the generator you own.

The presenter in the video clearly deals in what we in sales call FUD. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. He ignores the facts and spins up some fear, which some here apparently swallowed whole.

Same with rules regarding the end of ICE vehicle sales here. You can keep using your ICE vehicle, just like you can keep using your generator or yard maintenance equipment. I have a garage full of motorcycles and I don't expect that they will banned from the road at any point in my lifetime. Vehicle culture runs deep here. Recreational motoring is a thing, unlike lots of the country and there's just no way that ICE vehicles are going to wind up banned here as EVs take over.

End of sale != End of usability.

But 2030 is going to be a big year. Toyota rolled out 15 EV concept vehicles yesterday. Ford and GM are each investing billions in on shore battery production and vehicle manufacturing. They're also bringing up chip manufacturing plants. We're a decade away from a full inflection into EV power plants. Consider what we had ten years ago for battery technology and the like vs what we have now. Lucid sells a car with 1000hp and a 500 mile range.

For generators, this is the replacement technology in its earliest stages: https://www.goalzero.com/shop/shop/...EbAt53HmFi8cEkpbo3-UQ1jIgfBevWnQaAmoKEALw_wcB

The 1kw costs about the same as my Honda generator and with a 1kw capacity, it won't take much solar to keep it topped up.

The presenter in the video clearly deals in what we in sales call FUD. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. He ignores the facts and spins up some fear, which some here apparently swallowed whole.

Same with rules regarding the end of ICE vehicle sales here. You can keep using your ICE vehicle, just like you can keep using your generator or yard maintenance equipment. I have a garage full of motorcycles and I don't expect that they will banned from the road at any point in my lifetime. Vehicle culture runs deep here. Recreational motoring is a thing, unlike lots of the country and there's just no way that ICE vehicles are going to wind up banned here as EVs take over.

End of sale != End of usability.

But 2030 is going to be a big year. Toyota rolled out 15 EV concept vehicles yesterday. Ford and GM are each investing billions in on shore battery production and vehicle manufacturing. They're also bringing up chip manufacturing plants. We're a decade away from a full inflection into EV power plants. Consider what we had ten years ago for battery technology and the like vs what we have now. Lucid sells a car with 1000hp and a 500 mile range.

For generators, this is the replacement technology in its earliest stages: https://www.goalzero.com/shop/shop/...EbAt53HmFi8cEkpbo3-UQ1jIgfBevWnQaAmoKEALw_wcB

The 1kw costs about the same as my Honda generator and with a 1kw capacity, it won't take much solar to keep it topped up.

I was trying to let people know they can still use their generator in California.

Back