• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

05 r1200rt lcd gauge cluster burned out…

motor4

Was on the interstate Parked or hardly moving and got a warning light saying engine was too hot. That never happened before. Somehow ended up burning my center lcd cluster display. I can now start a ride in the morning and it looks mostly ok though later in the day when the weather gets hot lcd display then starts to get dark and sort of looks like the lcd panel has a burned in look about it which means it has then mostly darkened out the information displayed (not saying that right).

So a few questions (figure my dealer…closed today could answer).
1. If replacing it does that require replacing the entire cluster, meaning it is all one piece (left spedo, center lcd display, right side tach)?
2. If option to replace it, be it an entire cluster display unit or just center lcd display panel where would I look for such a part?
3. Would my current mileage correctly display on a replacement unit installed (else might that require the bmw shop do some magic act).

The bike is old, as am I. It is a nice highway bike and somewhat ok city bike. Maybe I am feeling long in the tooth now days, plus a bit rusty on riding skills, though took some effort to get her through the low sleep turns at speed on a ride yesterday. Love the rt model layout though maybe at 64 years old I no longer like the weight of the bike as much as I did in younger years though I realize for a touring model she is not too heavy. I cannot call her fat you know.

She is just old like me and shakes rattles and rolls though sweet highway cruiser. Guess I will keep her as long as she is running if she will have me :)

Don’t want to spend a ton to fix the issue…as if such is possible at times with bmw brand right. Got the fuel gauge in the tank replaced so that will be the last time I want to enjoy that expense.

Need a low beam headlight replaced plus one of those cute ‘camping’ blubs. Maybe if I get a used part I could have the bmw shop do it all at one time though guessing it will be a bear to replace (shop hours $).
Ride safe.

Back