• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Look what followed me home last weekend!

wecoyoteBPC

I found a deal I couldn't refuse. After several years without a sidecar rig, I decided to bring another one home. Some of you may have seen it on the BMW Facebook classifieds. Well, she is now a member of our BMW family. She needs some TLC but her bones are strong!

1976 R75/6 with a 1982 Velorex Sidecar.

20211204_201713.jpg

Welcome! Looks like a nice setup! I take it you've had a sidecar rig before. I've never had the pleasure...I understand they drive a little different.

Welcome! Looks like a nice setup! I take it you've had a sidecar rig before. I've never had the pleasure...I understand they drive a little different.

Yes, I used to have a 2WD Ural when my kids were younger. It was a blast taking the two of them (daughter on the back, son in the sidecar) for rides with my girlfriend (on her own bike). I regretted selling it after they outgrew riding in it. So... here is another.

They absolutely drive differently! Left hand turns the sidecar "digs in" and allow you to turn pretty good as long as the rear wheel doesn't come up. Right hand turns, however, can be pretty hairy. Depending on the ballast in the sidecar, you can easily "fly" the sidecar. If you push it too hard, you can actually flip them over. I never pushed it that hard though.

If you have room for one, I highly recommend having a sidecar rig in your stable. You will be amazed with the number of people who stop to talk to you about it.

Good looking hack. Enjoy picking it up again. FYI, thereā€™s a national USCA rally in Hotchkiss, CO, 7/6-10/22. Hope to see you there. Ride easy.

Nice ride! Met a very interesting gentleman who has this rig. I told him I want it if he ever sells.
IMG_5254-XL.jpg

This is the other part of his collection.
IMG_5251-XL.jpg

Lots of potential. Looks like a Watsonian sidecar and a leading link. So did you leave a trail of breadcrumbs so it could follow you home?šŸ˜

Yes, I used to have a 2WD Ural when my kids were younger. It was a blast taking the two of them (daughter on the back, son in the sidecar) for rides with my girlfriend (on her own bike). I regretted selling it after they outgrew riding in it. .

Your mentioning of a URAL took me back a few years (2013) when I was in Paris at one of the big markets on a Saturday. I spotted a Ural with three Parisians leaving the market and backing up into a side-street. FWIW, this was on a nice day in December:

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

We all hope you'll have a lot of fun with that new rig!

This is that that hack.
IMG_5252-XL.jpg

But this is one special hack too.
IMG_5399-XL.jpg

And if you want to go racing...the owner and his wife used to back in the day.
IMG_5185-XL.jpg

I'm not worried, the missus knows all about N+1 and she doesn't bat an eye. The owner is planning to come to my rally this summer but he thinks he'll be driving his Packard.

Back