• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

100 milers in Utah—mph, that is

gtrider

UHP announced yesterday that to date this year they have arrested or cited 3500 motor vehicle operators for speeds at or above 100mph on Utah roads. That’s a big increase from years past, and part of it is attributed to the fact that with more people staying home/working from home many of the roads have been more empty than normal, thus inducing people to run higher speeds. I wish they had stats on how many of those cited were MC operators.

To quote Phil Esterhouse, “Let’s be careful out there”.

Best,
DeVern

I don’t mind anyone going 100…….as long as their skill ratings are at 200. :burnout
OM

Anything over 85mph in Az., no matter the posted speed [ say 75mph ] is considered a criminal speeding ticket vs a civil infraction.

20mph over any other speed limit is or location is a criminal speeding ticket in Az. as well.

under the law, a conviction for criminal speeding is technically punishable by:

up to 30 days of jail
a fine of up to $500 plus surcharges
up to 1 year of probation.

Practically speaking, other consequences can be severe, including:

receiving a permanent criminal record that can not be expunged
adding 3 points to your license
disqualification from job opportunities
impacts on immigration status
non-renewal of Visa or temporary work status
impacts on insurance rates
driver’s license suspension
disqualification of commercial driver’s license status (CDL)
loss of professional licenses
loss of security clearances
loss of government advancement opportunities due to insurance costs
reputation damage-having to check the box “criminal conviction” on any application materials

Many people are shocked that Arizona has a law that imposes criminal penalties on speeding violations.

Many other states do not have these types of laws, but Arizona reports all motor vehicle violations, including criminal speeding out-of-state.

Anything over 85mph in Az., no matter the posted speed [ say 75mph ] is considered a criminal speeding ticket vs a civil infraction.

20mph over any other speed limit is or location is a criminal speeding ticket in Az. as well.

under the law, a conviction for criminal speeding is technically punishable by:

up to 30 days of jail
a fine of up to $500 plus surcharges
up to 1 year of probation.

Practically speaking, other consequences can be severe, including:

receiving a permanent criminal record that can not be expunged
adding 3 points to your license
disqualification from job opportunities
impacts on immigration status
non-renewal of Visa or temporary work status
impacts on insurance rates
driver’s license suspension
disqualification of commercial driver’s license status (CDL)
loss of professional licenses
loss of security clearances
loss of government advancement opportunities due to insurance costs
reputation damage-having to check the box “criminal conviction” on any application materials

Many people are shocked that Arizona has a law that imposes criminal penalties on speeding violations.

Many other states do not have these types of laws, but Arizona reports all motor vehicle violations, including criminal speeding out-of-state.

I have been aware of this situation in Arizona so have made a great effort to stay out of the state. So far so good. :brow

I don’t mind anyone going 100…….as long as their skill ratings are at 200. :burnout
OM

Every rider should ride his or her own ride. Personally, I'll just say that BMW bikes are designed with a performance envelope that often includes operation well into triple digits. If one finds one's self on roads and with traffic conditions which are conducive to such operation, the temptation is - shall we say - strong. I heard this from a friend. :hide

Every rider should ride his or her own ride. Personally, I'll just say that BMW bikes are designed with a performance envelope that often includes operation well into triple digits. If one finds one's self on roads and with traffic conditions which are conducive to such operation, the temptation is - shall we say - strong. I heard this from a friend. :hide

I know that guy and he’s whispered that to me a time or two as well… :whistle

:wave

DeVern

Somehow, I suspect that the lack of commuters has let a lot of Utah cops have less to do.

I have been aware of this situation in Arizona so have made a great effort to stay out of the state. So far so good. :brow

It's nothing to worry about, obey the laws in every state within reason. I've been traveling the roads of Az. for 18 years with no problems with law enforcement [ and I fracture speed laws on a fairly regular basis ].

:thumb

On my rally trip

In Provo Utah, I was riding with traffic. Looked down, the temp was 104F my speed was 105MPH. even given the usul optimistic BMW speedometer, I was hauling mail. I was behind a big white Ford transit filled with kids. They all were going that speed.

It was so hot I did not care. The poor 2009GS burned over 1.5 quarts of M1 15W50 on that trip. The oil temp was often at 6 bars. It still runs perfect, and has burned no oil since.

That part of the trip was He double hockey sticks.

Rod

I do hope it is cooler this year.

Ride

If you want to ride at race track speeds ride on a race track. While I am not above adding five or so miles above a speed limit myself, speed limits on roads are there for a reason and are set for a reason.

Living on a main road, I am not amused by the people who ride or drive past my house 10, 20 or 30MPH over the speed limit. It is egotistical, selfish behavior on the rider or driver's part. Sadly, I have seen the results of this disregard of common sense. The worst case being a young fellow who was well over the limit ran a red light, center punched a car who had the right of way, flipped off his bike, over a guard rail, fell onto a four lane road and was hit by a poor woman who nearly had a heart attack because of a body falling in front of her car from the sky.

On a race track, the danger is still there but more controlled. I had a debate in another forum post about hidden dangers on public roads and farmer's leading me to state again, speed limits are there for a reason. At 60mph going around a curve you have a lot better chance of stopping before running into the deer standing in the road or the tractor. At 100 on the same road, sorry, if you crash but the laws of physics don't change.

I love riding and ride just about everyday, I ride briskly and as I said in open country I fudge five to ten over the limit. But, that is it. Several roads I ride on are very twisty turns and a joy to be on however, many is the time I have found a combine or manure wagon or senior citizen on the exit or middle of a blind curve plodding along well under the limit. I don't have a big ego to think that "if I were going 100, I would be able to avoid hitting them". I don't hit them because I have control of the bike and have not exceeded my riding ability. If I hit a patch of oil in a curve well, all bets are off, I will go down. At least at five over the limit I might have a chance to live and ride again another day. 20 or 30 over, who knows. On a race track most of the time when a rider gets off, he slides for a bit. Objects such as guard rails, trees, other cars are not there.

I will close this lecture with the last thought; we are a minority of road users who are watched closely by the majority. Every bad habit, breaking of the law is noted by said majority and used against us. It is bad enough there are people who wish to see us removed from the roads, but we should not give them the ammunition needed to make it happen. All it takes is a group of vocal do gooders to put the bug into the ear of a similar politician or agency and we could well find our sport banned. We have been very lucky some of the past tries have failed. Ride as you want to ride, you all are free to do so Thank God, but think about how you are viewed by the greater number of drivers and law enforcement. St.

I see it as a Darwinian thing. What could possibly go wrong at 100 mph,anyway?
A critter crossing the road, maybe a bird? A small chunk of metal to slice a tire?
What happens if the driveshaft decides to fail at 100mph?

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots ...

Besides, my GS beats me up pretty good at anything over 85 and it’s just unpleasant to ride it any faster than that.

Utah 1996…

We find the defendant guilty! However, allowing for speedometer error we are unable to determine the actual speed.

I should have stopped at 85…that’s much more reasonable.

Attachments

• 0FA220F0-0128-45D4-A6E9-43BE856FD34D.jpg
    0FA220F0-0128-45D4-A6E9-43BE856FD34D.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 351
In case anyone is wondering, a “get off” at 85 is pretty much the same as as a “get off” at a hundred :burnout
OM

In case anyone is wondering, a “get off” at 85 is pretty much the same as as a “get off” at a hundred :burnout
OM

Could be, but it also might not be. When I had my get off at 65mph on the highway, I slid 147 feet before coming to rest. At 85, it would be more, at 100 it would be even more distance still.

The longer you slide, the longer you have to run into things which will NOT make your day whatsoever. :laugh

There are riders that haven't gone 100mph in Utah?

They might be the same riders that haven't gone 100mph when they're in Nevada, I bet. :ha

OM

True, but the speed limit across much of South Dakota on I-90 is 85, which pretty much what everyone is doing, except the older Harleys. They just do the best they can.

There are riders that haven't gone 100mph in Utah?

They might be the same riders that haven't gone 100mph when they're in Nevada, I bet. :ha

My GS didn't like 90-100mph. My RS is quite comfortable at 90-100. Same displacement, go figure :D

Back