• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Connect Nav V to USB-C Mac

kbowman

I don't recall if this has come up before, but I have had problems connecting my Nav V to a USB-C-based Mac. This goes for both the recent Intel MacBook Pros with USB-C and the new Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pros. I have tried every cable and USB adapter in my extensive collection. The only adapter I have found that works is the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. That part is $69. Fortunately my wife happened to have one for her little 1-port Mac laptop.

The plain $19 USB-A to USB-C adapter does not work, nor do any of the myriad other adapters or cables I tried, including a new direct USB-C to microUSB-A cable I just bought.

I know it is standard practice to blame Apple for problems like this, but Garmin products are the only things I have problems getting to work with my Macs via USB.

In any case, I hope this might save someone else some frustration.

Cheers, Ken

In short, I takes forever for a mac to recognize Garmin products. Plug in leave and return later. It's the same for my GPS', inreach, and Fenix 5x and wife's running watch. I use my PC instead.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I have the $19 USB-A to USB-C adapter and it works fine for me. I have the new 14” MacBook Pro with the M1 chip too, but I have the Nav VI. It does take some time to actually connect, and I see the USB connection screen on my Nav unit during that time. So don’t know if that actually helps given I have a newer Nav, but it doesn’t really make sense that the AV multiport adapter would work while the other doesn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanted to get something which could connect to my MacBook Air M1's two USB-C ports. You'll see that it has two USB 3.0 ports, and that's how I connect my Nav V. I found this Anker device on Amazon:

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 8.50.13 AM.png

Try another cable…

I was also having issues trying to connect a Nav V to my MacBook Pro with USB-C ports using the $19 Apple adapter. I tried a couple of different cables (USB-A to micro) until I found one that worked. Turns out, you need a cable that can carry data. Most of the cables in my cable drawer are for charging; data cables are apparently shielded and have four wires, vs two in a charging cable. Just upgraded to an M1 MBP yesterday, so will try it out now that I’m reading this. :) Good luck!

A few quick bits of follow up ...

In short, I takes forever for a mac to recognize Garmin products. Plug in leave and return later. It's the same for my GPS', inreach, and Fenix 5x and wife's running watch. I use my PC instead.

When I plug in the Nav V, it powers up immediately, but I never see the USB symbol (except with the one adapter that works) and it never connects, no matter how long I wait. With the adapter that does work, it connects in seconds.

I wanted to get something which could connect to my MacBook Air M1's two USB-C ports. You'll see that it has two USB 3.0 ports, and that's how I connect my Nav V. I found this Anker device on Amazon: ...

I have an external dock with USB-A ports, but it is packed away. I'm currently using an LG monitor that has multiple USB-C ports built in. That satisfies all of my needs except for the Nav V. I can grab the adapter from my wife's laptop when I need to connect the Nav V.

I am in the process of trying to convert all of my power supplies and source connectors from USB-A to USB-C to simplify my collection of cables. The sooner micro USB disappears, the better, IMHO.

I was also having issues trying to connect a Nav V to my MacBook Pro with USB-C ports using the $19 Apple adapter. I tried a couple of different cables (USB-A to micro) until I found one that worked. Turns out, you need a cable that can carry data. Most of the cables in my cable drawer are for charging; data cables are apparently shielded and have four wires, vs two in a charging cable. Just upgraded to an M1 MBP yesterday, so will try it out now that I’m reading this. Good luck!

My Garmin inReach connects without any problems using the various adapters and cables that fail with the Nav V. The Nav V seems to have a particularly touchy connection. So if you have problems, don't give up. Keep trying adapters until you find one that works!

Cheers, Ken

For the first ten or twelve years of my experience with Garmin their attitude was, "Apple? What does a fruit have to do with our GPS?" But, I have bought 9 or 10 Garmin GPS units over the years. Right now I have one in the truck, one in the car and one used on my bikes and one on Voni's bikes. Disclaimer: I had a Tom Tom for a little while once. Nuff said.

Update on connecting via USB-C

I tried to install the latest Garmin map update (2023.10), but none of the USB cable configurations that worked previously would connect, so I broke down and had a tech-support chat with Garmin. After offering to swap my out-of-warranty Nav V for a refurbished model (for $170), the support tech asked about my computer. It's a new M1 MacBook Pro. Garmin has other reports of problems connecting to M1 Macs, so they started a tech support case. I think there is some hope that this will be fixable with a software update, so if you are having similar problems you might want to wait before taking other steps. If you have similar problems, calling Garmin might help induce them to work on the fix.

I checked and found that Garmin Express (current version is 7.11.1.0) is running on my M1 Mac using the Intel emulator (Rosetta 2), which could be part of the problem.

Further experimentation shows that the GPS connects fine to both an Intel MacBook Pro with USB-C ports and to an older Intel MacBook Pro with USB-A ports, so I can do the updates that way for now.

Ken

Not sure if this is relevant, and no experience with these units, but if the Nav V runs the Android OS, Macs will often load the Android File Transfer app when you connect your GPS via USB cabe, and nothing will work until you quit it. A lot of times it requires a restart.

After years of Montana I bought a ZumoXT... I have a love/hate relationship with it... and the new Garmin Explorer site, as well... but at least the maps on the Zumo will update via wifi so that I don't have to worry about connecting via hardwire cable.

Between the mysteries of Garmin Express, Explorer and their on-line and GPS-based applications, I have completely given up on using Garmin software on a Mac in conjunction with a GPS. All this auto-magical stuff between MacOS, iOS, iCloud and the Zumo works a different way each time I try!

Garmin has managed to thoroughly hose-up everyone who has used Basecamp for years... I finally had to make a flow chart to figure out what was happening with routes/tracks in the "new world." You never know where files are going to show up with this thing....

Screen%20Shot%202020-05-19%20at%2010.07.26%20AM-X2.png

Found this thread looking to solve the same problem. Finally got a Satechi USB-C to multi-adapter to work. Ugh, why are standards not standard.

Any Fix Yet?

I am having this same issue with my Nav VI and a new M2 MacBook Air. I've tried multiple hubs and cable combinations, but I can't get the Nav unit to recognize the computer. Garmin simply says "it's a problem", but other than suggesting try different cables, they don't seem to have any solutions. Has anyone here found a reliable fix? Thanks!

Startstruck - I created post #4 above. Yesterday I connected my NavV to my MacBook Air M1 using one USB-A port on the Anker adapter shown in the post. It took a few minutes to get started, but ultimately it DLd and installed the latest Garmin update, albeit taking close to an hour to do so. I rode the bike some using the NavV and all was well.

Startstruck - I created post #4 above. Yesterday I connected my NavV to my MacBook Air M1 using one USB-A port on the Anker adapter shown in the post. It took a few minutes to get started, but ultimately it DLd and installed the latest Garmin update, albeit taking close to an hour to do so. I rode the bike some using the NavV and all was well.

Thanks ExGMan, I just tried that and it didn't work for me. Not sure if there is a difference between the M1 and M2 devices (I doubt it) or if there is a variation in the cables used (I tried several difference cables from several different vendors). Still can't find a solution. Works fine on an older Intel-based iMac and and older Intel-based MacBook Air. Sigh.

Back