• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 R1100S Randy Mamola BCR market value?

mcmlcccvrs

Full disclosure. I currently ride a very, very nice 1985 K100RS. Saw a blue/white 2003 R1100s Randy Mamola BCR in a dealership today in beautiful shape with 13,455km. Price was $9,999 Cdn and does not have luggage. I have no idea what these are worth. What do you guys think? I would appreciate your opinion.

Cheers,
Tom

Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula has one for sale; it sounds much like the one you described. I noticed it just a few days ago, but like many other things these days, I cannot recall what they were asking, A call to them would get a second example of what a dealer is asking.

I paid $6250 US for mine (#6 of 200) almost 3 years ago from the second owner with 10,000 miles (16K km) on it. No options included, non-ABS and in near perfect condition, including all documentation and the model of the bike in the box, just needed tires. 10K Canadian seems pretty high although I have noticed that asking prices haven't dropped and in some cases are quite exorbitant and mine seems like a GREAT deal since that time. In reality, what you are paying for is the paint job since the bike is essentially a standard S with a shortened rear torque arm and a wider rear wheel.

That being said, I really love the bike and it's "exclusivity". Just be forewarned, if it hasn't been done already, the wiring for the fuel pump inside the tank is probably deteriorated along with the vent hoses and will need some special expensive attention. Also look at the sheathing on the external wiring harness to be falling apart. I have been told that BMW was using biodegradable rubber in these areas back then and it doesn't age well.

Frank

I have # 68

I bought one new #172 and sold it after BMW decided to make more BCRs instead of the 200 they advertised would be it. It was like the Last Edition RT that kept popping up back in the 80's. I got sellers remorse and started looking for a suitable replacement right away. It took 10 years but here it is, 26,000 miles with all the trinkets except the scale model. I managed to acquire 2 scale models over the past few years.

I dove right in with the cleaning and preserving along with some upgrades to make it exactly like the one I had sold right down to the San Jose intake, tinted windshield and the Laser Racing exhaust with chip that was used on the bikes for the Boxer Cup races. I got the last complete system with the cans that were used in testing the system in Germany. To prolong my insanity I bought a NOS carbon fiber belly pan white/blue with all the sponsor stickers and brackets. The belly pan will hang on the wall for now, the original one is in good shape with scuffs and chips.

I haven't thought much about selling it but I would say for the right person it would be at least $9,000 with all the extras, not for sale though just tossing that number out there.

Attachments

• bcr 2.JPG
    bcr 2.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 161
  • bcr 1.JPG
    bcr 1.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 168
Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula has one for sale; it sounds much like the one you described. I noticed it just a few days ago, but like many other things these days, I cannot recall what they were asking, A call to them would get a second example of what a dealer is asking.

They are asking $9,999USD for theirs which is about $12,616CDN give or take. It has 6,999 miles which is about 2,000km less. It looks to be identically equipped.

I paid $6250 US for mine (#6 of 200) almost 3 years ago from the second owner with 10,000 miles (16K km) on it. No options included, non-ABS and in near perfect condition, including all documentation and the model of the bike in the box, just needed tires. 10K Canadian seems pretty high although I have noticed that asking prices haven't dropped and in some cases are quite exorbitant and mine seems like a GREAT deal since that time. In reality, what you are paying for is the paint job since the bike is essentially a standard S with a shortened rear torque arm and a wider rear wheel.

That being said, I really love the bike and it's "exclusivity". Just be forewarned, if it hasn't been done already, the wiring for the fuel pump inside the tank is probably deteriorated along with the vent hoses and will need some special expensive attention. Also look at the sheathing on the external wiring harness to be falling apart. I have been told that BMW was using biodegradable rubber in these areas back then and it doesn't age well.

Frank

Thanks for the reply. I have requested more information on the bike. I have no idea if it has the documentation, model,.........

Extras

It really depends on the condition and how the previous owner optioned it with upgrades.
I have two BCR's. My 05 is in excellent condition with a lot of nice options and secondary body work to keep the original in good condition. The 04 is a little rough and used for track days only now, 8 track days in 2021. Schedule isn't out for next year yet but I'm hoping for about 12 track days with it in 2022.
Everyone values these things differently and most owners get attached to them. Price for nice examples seems to have been escalating in the past year from what I've been seeing but I know a couple of very nice 05's sold for close to $10,000, low miles in show condition.

Attachments

• DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Ozzie's 1.jpg
    Ozzie's 1.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 144
  • GBME0830.jpg
    GBME0830.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0501.jpg
    DSC_0501.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 145
Full disclosure. I currently ride a very, very nice 1985 K100RS. Saw a blue/white 2003 R1100s Randy Mamola BCR in a dealership today in beautiful shape with 13,455km. Price was $9,999 Cdn and does not have luggage. I have no idea what these are worth. What do you guys think? I would appreciate your opinion.

Cheers,
Tom

Seems a bit steep to my eyes however, if that's the going rate....

Keep in mind that the differences are cosmetic plus a shorter torque arm on the paralever. Oh, and a steering damper. My 1100S has turned 155,000km and is still going strong so if you plan on keeping the bike, this one has a lot of life left in it.

I fired off some questions to the dealership and got some answers:

Hi Tom,

I you don't mind; I have answered your questions below in red ...

1. How long has the bike been sitting? We have had the bike since April 2016

2. When was it last ridden? Unknown, can only assume 2016.

3. Any fuel in bike? If so, was there fuel stabilizer added? We fill the tanks and add a stabilizer

4. How many previous owners? Based on the Carfax report, there was only one owner from new - Blackfoot Motosports sold the bike new
5. Are there any service records for the bike? No records found with Blackfoot Motosports.

6. When were all the fluids last changed? Engine oil, trans, differential, brake fluid, front fork oil. We are currently placing the bike onto the bench to confirm what service work is to be completed.

7. Drive shaft splines lubed? No notes in documented service records regarding this.

8. There is a broken turn signal. Turn signal will be replaced.

9. Do you have the BCR documentation and certificate that came with these bikes? Bikes also came with a toy model in a box too. We have no documentation, certificate or toy model

10. Which number is this BCR? From my recollection, the numbered bikes were only for certain markets i.e. USA

11. Owners manual and tool kit present? Neither are present,

I believe this is a Randy Mamola base model BCR with no upgrades, correct? No heated grips, ABS……. The factory options on this bike includes ABS, heated grips and Sport suspension.

Best regards

There you go. So, the bike is 18 years old and has been sitting for at least 5 1/2 years (known) at the dealership without being ridden. I know this dealership is starting to bring out its rare/vintage bikes for sale, this being one of them. I'm guessing the owner went back to the dealership he bought it from and traded it in but I don't know that for a fact. The owner certainly didn't ride it much-an average of 1,000km/year over an assumed 13 years of riding. And why remove all the tools from the tray underneath the seat? No known service records for the bike from the dealer that sold it. With nearly 14,000km shouldn't it have had at least 2 oil changes?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have requested more information on the bike. I have no idea if it has the documentation, model,.........

When I bought my BCR almost 3 years ago from the second owner he said he had had it for 8 years and put 1500 miles on it (it had 10,000 at that time). When I got it home, in addition to putting on fresh tires, I went through it completely and did a major service before I started to seriously ride it. That's when I looked inside the tank and discovered the insulation coming off the wiring to the fuel pump and the condition of the fuel vent and feed lines in there (US ethanol is the main culprit). I ended up replacing all fuel lines and the flange assy that mounts the pump. I installed steel quick disconnects on the fuel feed and return lines. In total, I probably spent another $800 US on it but that was well worth it as it is now a very dependable bike. I used plastic automotive wire loom tubing to cover all the areas that the original sheathing on the harness was falling off, installed stainless braided brake lines and new bake pads. I asked my favorite local BMW tech if he thought I should do a spline lube and he said with 10K mi. on it- No. I have put almost 15,000 miles on it since and have just done regular maintenance, oil and filter changes, tire replacement, valve clearance checks, etc. I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and installed a set of Wilbers shocks- the best single mod I can imagine for ride quality. That made it an all day rider instead of a quick jaunt type. +I did all the work myself as I have been working on all my own bikes for almost 50 years.

If you can initially afford it, it may be a real keeper.

Frank

BTW- I also have an '85 K100RS that I bought new and have put almost 327,000 miles on to date. It is mainly a garage queen now as I am spoiled by riding my more modern bikes. I installed a K1100 engine, Motronic, airbox and transmission years ago.

I bought one new #172 and sold it after BMW decided to make more BCRs instead of the 200 they advertised would be it. It was like the Last Edition RT that kept popping up back in the 80's. I got sellers remorse and started looking for a suitable replacement right away. It took 10 years but here it is, 26,000 miles with all the trinkets except the scale model. I managed to acquire 2 scale models over the past few years.

I dove right in with the cleaning and preserving along with some upgrades to make it exactly like the one I had sold right down to the San Jose intake, tinted windshield and the Laser Racing exhaust with chip that was used on the bikes for the Boxer Cup races. I got the last complete system with the cans that were used in testing the system in Germany. To prolong my insanity I bought a NOS carbon fiber belly pan white/blue with all the sponsor stickers and brackets. The belly pan will hang on the wall for now, the original one is in good shape with scuffs and chips.

I haven't thought much about selling it but I would say for the right person it would be at least $9,000 with all the extras, not for sale though just tossing that number out there.

That is a cool bike!

Seems a bit steep to my eyes however, if that's the going rate....

Keep in mind that the differences are cosmetic plus a shorter torque arm on the paralever. Oh, and a steering damper. My 1100S has turned 155,000km and is still going strong so if you plan on keeping the bike, this one has a lot of life left in it.

The price tag on the bike is probably double what they gave the previous owner for trade in value.

Most of these you'll find don't have a tremendous amount of miles on them. The guys who have them get so attached to them at early ownership then get older and don't ride them much. You don't see many for sale and when you do they usually have under 30,000 miles. Why because most guys think they have a collector bike. I sort of think that too, it's why I bought a second one for the Track. In reality they may become collectable to a limited market but they sure made a lot of them. If your only looking at it as a collectable bike for day rides that price is pretty average in my opinion. If your looking at it as a ridable S you can do a lot better buying a standard R1100S with bags for Sport/Touring. Range for standard S range here in California between $2,000 to $6,000. When the BCR come up here they are usually around $7,500 to $10,000.

I have a 2003 BCR that I purchased brand new in 2003. I have always loved my bike. Today it has 28000 miles on it. My military career allowed me to ride it in Hawaii, Germany, South Korea, and all throughout the states. I have done all the services myself and thoroughly enjoy the bike. Lately, I have been interested in an RT, so I can ride in comfort. But overall, I love my bike.

Back