• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS Correct sequence of one-piece fender mounting hardware.

mcmlcccvrs

This is the sequence of how my one-piece fender was mounted. Is this correct? I don't see how the rubber washer is of any use on the backside of the fender. It would seem to me that it should be placed between the fork and the fender although that would be a really tight fit. Parts fiche don't clarify with respect to sequence of assembly and the repair manual isn't any help either.

A rather rudimentary question but...........

rLHofb.jpg

My '85 has a hat shaped brass looking bushing in the plastic reflector and a steel washer between the plastic and fork mounting ear. I am pretty sure this is how it came from the factory as I have always tried to get it put back together correctly. There is no spacer between the fork ear and the fender on my bike, but the ear appears to be wider on mine than in your picture. Probably due to different manufacturing dates, mine is an 06-'85 mfg date. Under the nut is a larger area washer and a rubber washer contacting to the fender. I hope this helps.

Frank

My '85 has a hat shaped brass looking bushing in the plastic reflector and a steel washer between the plastic and fork mounting ear. I am pretty sure this is how it came from the factory as I have always tried to get it put back together correctly. There is no spacer between the fork ear and the fender on my bike, but the ear appears to be wider on mine than in your picture. Probably due to different manufacturing dates, mine is an 06-'85 mfg date. Under the nut is a larger area washer and a rubber washer contacting to the fender. I hope this helps.

Frank

Yes, it does help. It sounds like I need to add a steel washer between the plastic reflector and the fork mounting ear, otherwise it is okay. Mine is an 03/85 mfg date. Thank you.

Back