• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which K75RT?

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
Gents
My beloved 1990 K75 RT got taken out by a God Damn deer attack a month ago and I'm afraid its totaled, so sad.

In the Marketplace there's 2 nice ones:

A 1992 K75 RT 43.1K Black looks awesome!! Pictures look Really good.

A 1995 K75 RT 70.4 K Red, [ my favorite color!] Also looks super good!

Both are asking about 3K...

Any opinions on which one based on year and miles?
TIA
Nick ex 1990 K 75 RT

It might sound crazy

Take both and always have one to enjoy even if one of them is sick in bed or off for a little service.

I would be temped by the black one with fewer miles. I don't think there were any changes from 92 to 95.
Hard to tell the condition of the bikes with the small pictures.
There's a white spot on the right side fairing lower on the red bike.
Hard to tell if it's been dropped on that side of if it's a reflection.
I would ask the sellers to email you pictures.

Thanks MC
But living 9740' in Colorado I need a full fairing.
Thanks!
I would imagine I'd be happy with either one of those bikes.
Nick

Another reason I want another K75RT is the built-in heating system!
Not so good for the summer but spring and fall it is nice to have.
That and a heated jacket really extends my season.
Nick

ABS is a plus on both bikes. I don't think you had that on your 1990.

I would inquire about both and figure out the maintenance history (proof of history with receipts). If both have good maintenance history, I would go with the red one, since it seems to give you a bigger smile. Just my $0.02.

Without question the red one. 700W alternator, and newer (as in, later production so potentially improved) everything.

What's the output on the 92?
I remember when Debbie's 1991 alternator went out in 2002 near Ft Worth the shop replaced it with a larger one.
It never had a problem with heated gear and grips, but it did fail.

480W. This also affected the first year K11LT IIRC; the '93 had the weaker alternator and ABS1 and the later ones had the 700W and ABS2. That 700W alternator was very reliable; it was used in different forms all the way until the CAN-Bus bikes.

Later is always better with the 2V K bikes. The tanks, forks, alternator, instruments, steering head bearing setup, brake and coolant reservoirs, all sorts of things got improved as production went on. Most of the improvements were in place by '92 but the alternator did come later.

Built in heating system?

Another reason I want another K75RT is the built-in heating system!
Not so good for the summer but spring and fall it is nice to have.
That and a heated jacket really extends my season.
Nick

I have a 1991 K75 RT ,but don't know about a built in heating system, or were you meaning the fairings ?
BTW my 1991 has ABS .

I have a 1991 K75 RT ,but don't know about a built in heating system, or were you meaning the fairings ?
BTW my 1991 has ABS .

Not really a true built-in heater, but the RT's has a fairing that does a phenomenal job of blocking nearly all of the air flow; couple that with how the air flows around the engine and how the fuel rail allows for the gas to pick up heat as the fuel travels through the system and you have the makings for a very warm ride when it's hot out. There have been some ways of mitigating that heat if you want.

Back