• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lazy neutral light r1100 RS

ksdcr

My 2000 R1100 RS, has 92,000 miles. Recently, my neutral light has become “ lazy”, in that it takes a few moments to come on. For example, stopping at an intersection, shift to neutral, and after 5,6 maybe 15 seconds, the neutral light pops on. It does appear to be a more frequent occurrence, when the bike is somewhat cold, or when the temperature is under 40 degrees. Historically, the original switch was replaced at 58,000 miles, during a clutch change.

So, is this indicative of the switch beginning to fail, or perhaps just a need for warmer temps, and maybe an oil or transmission fluid change? Or, something more dire.

Have a peek at the bottom of the page in the similar threads panel.
Good luck.
OM

Definitely read the similar threads. The neutral switch is not supposed to have gear oil in it, so changing the transmission fluid shouldn’t have any effect. Lazy neutral switch is very common on these bikes. Seepage of oil into the switch and crud are typically the reason it gets slow. Best advice I can make is when you park the bike, put it in neutral and get the light to go on. I usually find if I work the shift lever in the range between 1 and 2 without engaging the gear will eventually get the switch to trigger the light If there’s a way to clean out the switch without removing it I would love to hear it.

“ I usually find if I work the shift lever in the range between 1 and 2 without engaging the gear will eventually get the switch to trigger the light ”

Thanks, that has been my procedure as well. Since it’s been cold here over the last few months, and rides, the issue seems to be more prevalent, on my bike.

Common issue on the 5 speed transmissions.

The switch is starting to fail.
I've bench tested a couple and tried to reverse the delay effect. The switch is sealed and is not serviceable without compromising the seal and damaging.
Multiple manual cycles and switching a higher current (to break down contact resistance) did not help.

It's a bit of a chore to access so replacement is the only practical option.

Do you know if the switch can be replace, without removing the transmission?

Common issue on the 5 speed transmissions.

The switch is starting to fail.
I've bench tested a couple and tried to reverse the delay effect. The switch is sealed and is not serviceable without compromising the seal and damaging.
Multiple manual cycles and switching a higher current (to break down contact resistance) did not help.

It's a bit of a chore to access so replacement is the only practical option.

Back