• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Clearwater lights on 2021 R NineT

alegerlotz

I recently bought a 2021 (Euro5) R NineT, which features an LED headlight. I also bought the Clearwater Darla light kit for this bike, which includes the mounting brackets that piggy back on the fender mounting.

The manual that comes with this Darla kit is just a generic manual that doesn't have any specifics regarding where to tap into the electrical system for the keyed hot, horn, and high beam lights that control the power module (the power module wires straight to the battery itself).

If anyone here has wired up Darlas on a NineT and has any specific information, I'd really appreciate it.

I recently bought a 2021 (Euro5) R NineT, which features an LED headlight. I also bought the Clearwater Darla light kit for this bike, which includes the mounting brackets that piggy back on the fender mounting.

The manual that comes with this Darla kit is just a generic manual that doesn't have any specifics regarding where to tap into the electrical system for the keyed hot, horn, and high beam lights that control the power module (the power module wires straight to the battery itself).

If anyone here has wired up Darlas on a NineT and has any specific information, I'd really appreciate it.

Have you talked to Clearwater? I picked up some Darla lights as well (from another forum) and they were pretty prompt in answering my questions.
Their site has pretty good install instruction as well, but if you can’t find what you need, just reach out to them.

KL

Have you talked to Clearwater? I picked up some Darla lights as well (from another forum) and they were pretty prompt in answering my questions.
Their site has pretty good install instruction as well, but if you can’t find what you need, just reach out to them.

KL

I have. The 2021 is different because of the LED headlight. They send me a pic of the connector used for earlier bikes, but it wasn't applicable to this model. I installed the lights a couple of days before Christmas and everything works as I'd like except the "full bright on with the high beams" feature; right now one of the white wires on the clearwater controller is not connected to anything because the LED headlight wiring doesn't allow for a hot lead with only the bright lights.

For the dimmer rheostat I mounted it on the left side of the bike under the tank because I rarely (if ever) will be changing the brightness of the darlas and I didn't like the giant block mounted up on my handlebars. I can easily reach the knob while riding if I want to though. I've decided to get around the full bright when desired issue by getting a small handlebar switch and using that to control 12 volts to the white wire of the clearwater controller block. It should cost me about $20 and I'll install it when I already have the tank raised/removed (I put the controller box under there) to do something else like change the air filter.

I have noticed that the darlas with the yellow/green covers make a difference though... just as they do on my R1200RT. People look and don't see and then a split second later I register to their brain and they stop pulling out in front of me or whatever they started to do. I'm glad to have the on there doing their job.

Back