• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Long time rider, new to BMWs

bubblehead617

Howdy! I'm Les and have been riding for 58+ years. Spent 12 years in the Navy as a Sonar Tech on Subs. Road raced bikes fof 12 years and worked support crew for off-road rally cars for 5 years or so. Recently got my first BMW, a '73 R75/5. It is a one-owner bike with 100Kmiles. Compared to my '76 Wing, it's so smooth and agile! It was set up for touring with fairing, bags, & "King n Queen" seat. As I tend to prefer a stock look on my older bikes, I've removed the fairing & bags & am ready to replace the seat with a stocker. I've also got a '65 Ducati 250 Monza in process of rebuilding. I live on the far SW Washington coast, a half mile east of the Pacific.

Attachments

• 20210829_145135.jpg
    20210829_145135.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 113
Welcome Aboard, Mr Bubble-Head, from the Tenn River Valley!

Looks like a fine bike you've acquired; hope it brings many local Miles & Smiles! :thumb We too have 20th century Beemers and 21st as well. Something for every occasion. Hope you can connect with some Airheads in your vicinity (my Airhead directory says Paul in Raymond is up for meetups & coffee.) PM me if'n that matters to U. FWIW I've added "Skene LEDs" to our vintage bikes: >> https://www.skenelights.com <<. They increase your Conspicuity while using very few of your electrons... :nod

Hope you'll consider a ride to SW MO next June for the Big International Rally; MOA turns 50! Should be a lot of fun! :laugh

https://rally.bmwmoa.org

Happy Trails whenever U can ride - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil

USN-Ret'd — & — USAF-Ret'd
'09 650GS-twin —— '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Howdy! I'm Les and have been riding for 58+ years. Spent 12 years in the Navy as a Sonar Tech on Subs. Road raced bikes fof 12 years and worked support crew for off-road rally cars for 5 years or so. Recently got my first BMW, a '73 R75/5. It is a one-owner bike with 100Kmiles. Compared to my '76 Wing, it's so smooth and agile! It was set up for touring with fairing, bags, & "King n Queen" seat. As I tend to prefer a stock look on my older bikes, I've removed the fairing & bags & am ready to replace the seat with a stocker. I've also got a '65 Ducati 250 Monza in process of rebuilding. I live on the far SW Washington coast, a half mile east of the Pacific.

As others have said, welcome to the family! Nice bike, but I believe it is possibly a 1972 production year just titled as a 1973. I say that because it is a SWB (Short Wheel Base) /5, and ther were very few, if any, actually model year 1973 SWB /5's. Just about all of the 1973 /r5's were the Long Wheel Base models, and in 1974 the /6 series was introduced. My black SWB R75/5 is a 1972 titled as a 1973. Back in the day, many dealers were not all that picky about model years on titles. If it was new, then it was the year it was sold. :brow

Speaking of the 2022 BMW MOA 50th (Club) Anniversary at our rally in Springfield, MO we will be recognizing and celebrating the Slash 5 series because it was the only bike BMW made at the time of the founding of our club. You and your bike can be in what we hope is the largest group shot of /5 BMW's ever, or at least ever again. :nod

Greg, build date was Sept. of '72. It's definitely a SWB model. BTW, we bought a small house & 6 acres just NW of Weiser in January. Love it over there! Plans are to do most of the winter there as it's a lot drier than the beach. In process of getting a well drilled so we can put up a shop/garage. The '49 Willys truck will live there as the salt air here at the beach is not kind to it.

Greg, build date was Sept. of '72. It's definitely a SWB model. BTW, we bought a small house & 6 acres just NW of Weiser in January. Love it over there! Plans are to do most of the winter there as it's a lot drier than the beach. In process of getting a well drilled so we can put up a shop/garage. The '49 Willys truck will live there as the salt air here at the beach is not kind to it.

Small world! I'm in Boise and have a good riding buddy who lives in Payette. I get over to see him periodically, and often go for day rides through Weiser and up US 95 a ways, or maybe the loop from Weiser through New Meadows, McCall and back to Boise. Sounds to me like there should be a opportunity before too long to meet up for coffee, lunch, a ride, or whatever. :thumb

Back