• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bikes - where are they ?

Luck, I guess

I found a 2022 triple black f900xr by accident after declining a deal on a 2021 because another dealer ticked me. I just happened to look at their website the morning they posted it. The only other new BMWs at my dealer were several R1800s. Must be a bummer for them.

Engle Motors was honest with me and said it would be difficult to give us a accurate delivery date.
Our bikes were made the last week of August and arrived at the dealer seven weeks later.

After our bikes were made they gave me the VIN and container number.
The dealer said they were not able to get accurate tracking info from BMW but mentioned some members of the MOA had good luck with tracking info.
With the info I found on this forum I was able to track the bikes from the factory to Kansas City.

Same here. No hurry for me. Just glad I could get one

Distance to Dealer

I live a lot farther away from a dealer in Canada. The nearest dealer now, after the closing of my local dealer, is 1,300 miles from where I live. I do all my own service, but many don't, how will they cope with that distance. We will not get a new dealer with the promise of so few bikes on the floor. I get there is no point complaining, there is nothing we can do and this is not the only commodity that is having supply issues. However I started this thread to try and find out how serious this issue is, and how long it may persist, and will it affect parts supply, motorcycle specific apparel etc. I just returned from San Deigo BMW, near my winter home in Yuma AZ, and as expected that only three 2021 bikes and not 2022 yest, almost no apparel, but plenty of used bikes of all kinds. There is a big sign out front "we buy used bikes". Similar to bike and car dealers in Canada. Thanks you all for the information you have provided and it does give me pause. I'm lucky, my bikes a 2020 GSA and my wife's bike is a 2017 GS, are both well maintained. I have managed to stockpile at least three years of service parts and consumables. Tires were the hardest to find. I hope that we can get this virus under control and supply chains working again, but I do expect this to take some time. I just hope I don't have a major failure that I cannot fix or maybe need some BMW specific parts.

This may not be the place for this comment but the experts say the only way out of this pandemic is for everyone to get vaccinated. Let's get it done.

I live a lot farther away from a dealer in Canada. The nearest dealer now, after the closing of my local dealer, is 1,300 miles from where I live. I do all my own service, but many don't, how will they cope with that distance. We will not get a new dealer with the promise of so few bikes on the floor. I get there is no point complaining, there is nothing we can do and this is not the only commodity that is having supply issues. However I started this thread to try and find out how serious this issue is, and how long it may persist, and will it affect parts supply, motorcycle specific apparel etc. I just returned from San Deigo BMW, near my winter home in Yuma AZ, and as expected that only three 2021 bikes and not 2022 yest, almost no apparel, but plenty of used bikes of all kinds. There is a big sign out front "we buy used bikes". Similar to bike and car dealers in Canada. Thanks you all for the information you have provided and it does give me pause. I'm lucky, my bikes a 2020 GSA and my wife's bike is a 2017 GS, are both well maintained. I have managed to stockpile at least three years of service parts and consumables. Tires were the hardest to find. I hope that we can get this virus under control and supply chains working again, but I do expect this to take some time. I just hope I don't have a major failure that I cannot fix or maybe need some BMW specific parts.

This may not be the place for this comment but the experts say the only way out of this pandemic is for everyone to get vaccinated. Let's get it done.

I'll vote for that....get vaccinated, get coupon for two FREE motorcycle tires...mount and balance included. Get booster, get FREE Annual Maintenance Service. Get a colonoscopy, get FREE Comfort Seat.... whoa I'm getting carried away!

I'm going to try and not add any comments about vaccines. Unfortunately, vaccines have become a political hot button. Shame on us for letting something medical become political--I probably said too much here.

I remember reading an article early on in the pandemic about when the shelter in place orders will end. There were several indications--one of which was when the general population is tired of being couped up and they are willing to take the additional risk. According to everything I've read and heard, COVID-19 is with us and is not going away anytime soon. So, now there's added risk of COVID-19 that we all have to get used to. However, we all have different tolerances for risk, and I think we need to be a little more understanding of individuals risk acceptance, which may be different that our own.

FYI, I have no problem with vaccines.

“This may not be the place for this comment but the experts say the only way out of this pandemic is for everyone to get vaccinated. Let's get it done.”

You are correct. This is not the place for your comment

1300 miles is TOUGH. Wow.

I live a lot farther away from a dealer in Canada. The nearest dealer now, after the closing of my local dealer, is 1,300 miles from where I live.

According to Google Maps, you live a mere 1366km from your nearest dealer. :D

I'm really fortunate, Sturgis BMW is three exits, 17 miles, 15 minutes away.

They don't have many new bikes either, of any brand.

I saw an Ice Gray '21 GSA with 56 miles on it pop up on their website on Christmas Eve, 30 minutes later the deal was done.

Now if the weather will cooperate the trade will get delivered and the new bike picked up.

I have the luck of living close to three BMW MC dealers; Richfield BMW- 1.5 miles, Leo's South- 12 miles, Moon Motors-40 miles. They all have what I consider a modest inventory of new bikes. Nothing like pre-pandemic levels.

My dealer says supply lines are really tough getting new bikes. He grabbed a few off the demo fleet as ours was their last stop of the season.

Mine is finally on the coast making its way through customs

Two weeks after the container was unloaded from the ship our dealer in Kansas City received our bikes.
Distance probably doesn't change the shipping time much because the bikes were flown to Kansas City.

In talking with my dealer they said it is taking about 6 months lead time for new bikes. the 2022 R1250 GS I just got had been on order since August. They received 3 and in a week they were all gone.

Last week, I was lucky enough to walk into BMW Denver and buy a 2022 GS Triple Black, off the floor. The only other GS they had was on hold. They only have 32 new bikes, heavy on the R18, F900 and 310's.

There are 1300 2022 Model Year bikes from BMW on Cycle Trader - https://www.cycletrader.com/2022-Any-BMW/motorcycles-for-sale?make=BMW|2315626&year=2022:*

Here's the model breakdown:

download

dealers screw up on the model sometimes but they're out there you just may have to fly and ride, some may already be sold and you won't get any discounts.

Here's how many R1250s there are by Trim:
download

There are now 1600 2022 Bikes in the states up from 1300 when I posted here a couple of weeks ago. They're coming in, just slower than people would like: https://www.cycletrader.com/New-202...sale?make=BMW|2315626&condition=N&year=2022:*

Here's the model breakdown:
download

Here are the 2022 R1250 Trims available stateside:
download

Are those actual bikes on the floor, or just allotments?

Best,
DeVern

These are more likely to be already sold than 'incoming' and it does not represent all bikes in USA only dealers who opt to post their bikes to cycle trader. CycleTrader is like auto trader. not ever dealer uses it but it will give you a pulse on the general market. If 50% of dealers participate, you can at least get a feel for how many of each bikes are stateside. if I call about 5 bikes, 1-2 are already sold and still on cycle trader. rarely do bikes 'in transit' get posted there.

Back