• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

spline lube ???

M

medieval

I am repairing a 2003 R1150RS (7700 mi on odometer) that I purchased as the infamous 'winter project'. So far everything has been repaired :thumb I read in numerous places about splines needing to be lubed. So.... are we talking the splines at the rear wheel end of the driveshaft, or the splines at the transmission end of the drive shaft (or both)? :confused:
I have been on the IBMWR site and saw an article for airheads but must have missed any oilhead article. I have a Clymer's manual, but have found that I need to use it as a guidline as they tend to leave out some info.
I do not trust the dealer in Portland (Or), and refuse to let them touch my bike. :deal Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :bikes

BMW apparently says "no need to lube splines" on oilhead...

But I am no expert....opinion's vary all over the map....appears that most don't lube...until failure...

medieval said:
I am repairing a 2003 R1150RS (7700 mi on odometer) that I purchased as the infamous 'winter project'. So far everything has been repaired :thumb I read in numerous places about splines needing to be lubed. So.... are we talking the splines at the rear wheel end of the driveshaft, or the splines at the transmission end of the drive shaft (or both)? :confused:
I have been on the IBMWR site and saw an article for airheads but must have missed any oilhead article. I have a Clymer's manual, but have found that I need to use it as a guidline as they tend to leave out some info.
I do not trust the dealer in Portland (Or), and refuse to let them touch my bike. :deal Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :bikes

Transmission input shaft splines. This is where the clutch rides.

The splines of the driveshaft should also be lubed if your there.

Splines

Hello,
I just asked the question to the service manager at BMW Fort Worth this morning.

It's reply was: "No need to. BMW stopped reccomending spline lubes for all its models after 1998."

I hope he's right.

Regards,

Alberto

There is no recomended spline lube interval, but they do need periodic lubing. The best indicator of dried out clutch splines is difficulty in downshifting. If your bike stops downshifting smoothly without any throttle input, the splines are very likely dry and wearing quickly. I would not delay the job at this point. Some bikes got lubed better at the factory than others. My GS needed it at 8000 miles.

most people who are really into working on their bikes say 20-25K, most people who don't wrench never do it. i'm gonna wait till fall, which should be about 35-40K, i've been doing way too much work on the bike lately..........

Back