• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New piston rings

hstender

Hello to All,

I’m curious about the metallurgy of 1972 R60/5 as regards the cylinders. If new rings are indicated by a leak down test, is it possible to just replace the rings or is cylinder honing required? About 56,000 miles on the motor. I have read someplace that that particular author claimed honing wasn’t necessary on airheads of that vintage.
However, I like to hear from you experts. If honing is required, do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Likely your cylinders are stock and thus are iron lined, that is an iron liner that is shrunk to fit inside the aluminum housing. If I were replacing the rings, I would have the internal dimensions of the cylinder measured. You should have measurements taken near to the top of ring travel, mid travel, and near the bottom of the travel. You should also have those measurements taken 90 degrees to each other...so three measurements fore-aft and three measurements up-down. The purpose is to see how much the liner has worn and if it has worn in an oval fashion. There are specs for all this.

Maybe at 56K miles, you would still have in-spec liners. If not then, you would need to consider have the cylinders bored to the next size over. If you have them bored, you should provide the people doing the job the pistons and rings so they can ensure that the bore will be matched and correct.

Even if you decide to bore or not, I think you still need to hone the liners. Honing helps break the glaze and puts cross-hatching into the surface. This helps with ring break-in. You will need to establish your plan for break-in to ensure the rings wear in to get the best seal.

Snowbum discusses piston rings and cross hatching about 1/3 down this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pistons.htm

Thank you!

Likely your cylinders are stock and thus are iron lined, that is an iron liner that is shrunk to fit inside the aluminum housing. If I were replacing the rings, I would have the internal dimensions of the cylinder measured. You should have measurements taken near to the top of ring travel, mid travel, and near the bottom of the travel. You should also have those measurements taken 90 degrees to each other...so three measurements fore-aft and three measurements up-down. The purpose is to see how much the liner has worn and if it has worn in an oval fashion. There are specs for all this.

Maybe at 56K miles, you would still have in-spec liners. If not then, you would need to consider have the cylinders bored to the next size over. If you have them bored, you should provide the people doing the job the pistons and rings so they can ensure that the bore will be matched and correct.

Even if you decide to bore or not, I think you still need to hone the liners. Honing helps break the glaze and puts cross-hatching into the surface. This helps with ring break-in. You will need to establish your plan for break-in to ensure the rings wear in to get the best seal.

Snowbum discusses piston rings and cross hatching about 1/3 down this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pistons.htm

Sounds like an excellent plan of action! I appreciate it very much.

Back