• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1992 R100RS Front Axle question

limeymike

A new to me 1992 R100RS. I had a new tire put on but the front axle seemed to be sticking out further than I remember. I took he nut off the end of the axle and it is about 1/8" from flush with the lower fork leg. Is this correct?Axle.jpg

I can't help on the question but will add a bit to your title for clarity.
Good luck.
OM

I reckon that your pinch bolts are loosened; if not, they should be.

In the previously referenced exploded drawing there are shown some items (#5 & #6) called bushes. I have found that these might not be real easy to seat if things are a bit out of alignment. I sometimes need to re-loosen things up, put my tongue in the left side of my mouth, carefully line things up (including spacers or bushes), and slide the pre-greased axle into position. I sometimes think some strong language and give the axle a gentle encouragement tap with a mallet.

Good Luck

Well, I don't have an early '90s Airhead but I do have and have had several K75 motorcycles, a K100 and a K1100 all of late '80s and early '90s vintage. And the photograph shows what a Kbike axle looks like before the shim (big thick recesed washer) and capscrew are installed at the end of the axle. In all of those cases the end of the axle was recessed in the opening in the fork leg as shown in the photograph.

If either of the axle spacers (#5 and #6 called a bush) were omitted the axle would not be in that position. If the right spacer were omitted the axle would protrude. If the left spacer were omitted it would probably protrude because it would be forcing the wheel as far as the disks and calipers would allow.

In other words it looks normal to me.

Back